Ilanavis [WIP]

cring0

So I was talking to a dude that also attempted to make his own map, his group does a lot of combat realism stuff and he suggested I map the total size of the map bigger so that there's more ocean around the islands, and making some smaller islands in the outer reaches for deployment.  I didn't really intend to get too involved in this terrain in its outset, and I really only had Epoch in mind... but I'm wondering how hard it would be to add more space around the edges, say changing it from 4k to 8 or 12k?

I've been using Gimp for image editing and I haven't found a way to change the heightfield map without distorting everything, turning everything into hard edges, etc.  I haven't really tinkered with anything though.  If I could just copy the current heightfield and put it in the middle of a larger image that would be great.  The land really is too close to the edge of the map imo.  I'm sure making it a larger terrain, even if the addition is mostly ocean, will increase the rendering time a good bit though.

Did I ever mention I don't know what the hell I'm doing?

Cring0 i really like the look of your map but i still see issues with scale, have you crunched it yet and drove round it ?

It's could be a lot smaller than you might think, that North-West island for example is only 1000 meters

That's something I was worried about from the outset, that's why I was trying to figure out the size of Arma buildings and roads and such. I haven't run it through arma yet. I'm working on the mask image now, then hopefully I'll have an alpha version.

It's a small map. Thats why ive filled up all the corners of the map. Ive had it set to 2m per pixel so I'm pretty sure I have things close to scale. There's a good chance there's something I'm just not understanding. Hence, nb4 facepalm.

I'd still like to add at least 1km of ocean around the map, but if I export L3DT heightmap to png it distorts it and when I import it back in it has rough edges and I have to smooth everything over again.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been considering changing the name of my terrain for a while now.  Do you guys think it should be changed?  I mean it's a fictional map so it deserves a fictional name, but Ilanavis is a bit weird of a name lol.  All I did was derived Ila- from Island/Isle and -navis from Latin, which basically means "boat".  I was going to start posting on Armaholic and BI forums about it but decided I should wait until I settle on the name.  I'm working on place names as well.  Any suggestions will be taken into consideration.

I've been considering changing the name of my terrain for a while now.  Do you guys think it should be changed?  I mean it's a fictional map so it deserves a fictional name, but Ilanavis is a bit weird of a name lol.  All I did was derived Ila- from Island/Isle and -navis from Latin, which basically means "boat".  I was going to start posting on Armaholic and BI forums about it but decided I should wait until I settle on the name.  I'm working on place names as well.  Any suggestions will be taken into consideration.

I like the original name, and it also gives you a basis for naming places in a similar fashion. Fictitious is the key here, you can do what you like as long as it as some underpinning naming logic and you started that already.

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed the url to my dropbox since I changed the directory everything was in.  I haven't been working on my terrain as much in the last couple weeks, weathers been nice so I've been busy around the house.  I've been poking at the mask here and there though, almost have the south eastern island finished.

• 3 weeks later...

When I made my first terrain (which is still my only one at the moment lol) I made only an island with a flat ground, so no heights etc.,exporred thus to terrain builder, set some streets and buildings to see how big they'll appear. Saved all this and made a first map file for arma to test it and see how big everything will appear on it. It was also useful to see how wide the parts where the streets go along have to be so that they don't run on wavy terrain. Found this pretty usefull

• 4 weeks later...

Sooooooooo... about a week ago I realized that my sat image was tooooo smaaaall... so I had to scale it up and pretty much redo a lot of things.  However, I'm kind of glad it happened because a) it's looking a bit better and B) it's going to be a bigger terrain now(originally it was going to be a small 4x4km but now it'll be 10x10km).

Here's an update of the changes I've made so far to my sat map: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7225557/WEB/images/201506280022.png I still have a bit of work to do on it.

I've changed my web thingy up a bit, but I still need to update some things: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7225557/WEB/Index.html

Once I have my sat map ready, I'll need to blow up my mask image and rework several places and finish that.  Then I'll need to go over the entire height map again in L3DT since I'm bumping the cell size up from 2 to 5 meters per pixel.

So looking forward to seeing this completed!

Yeah, same here, believe me lol.

A bit more tonight:

http://imgur.com/a/q1LYe

Raised that hill up to 150m. =]  When I changed the scale from 2m to 5m per pixel, it stretched things out which gave me room to adjust more of the height in places, which is what I'm working on now.  I'm also adding some uh.. "dipping" and "rolling" into some parts of the landscape instead of leaving it smooth all over the place.

• 1 month later...

I've been reworking the satelite map more but haven't been getting a lot done because I've been in the process of moving. I'm almost all moved in now and will have real Internet's, so hopefully I will get more done this month. I've also been working on another terrain called Kings Isles. You can guess what I might have in mind for that, but I'm trying to make it epochable as well.

I've been reworking the satelite map more but haven't been getting a lot done because I've been in the process of moving. I'm almost all moved in now and will have real Internet's, so hopefully I will get more done this month. I've also been working on another terrain called Kings Isles. You can guess what I might have in mind for that, but I'm trying to make it epochable as well.

I was just thinking I haven't heard about your map in a bit. Funny how that happens.

Lol, yeah I think that's the wider road that most take. It's a bitch, its not really rewarding for the amount of work you put into it.. hell, I haven't even gotten to the hard parts. So far, however, I've enjoyed what I've worked on.

• 5 weeks later...