Group feedback & related wishlist for 0.3

Zombiemeatspin

Currently as we all know the hex groups are kind of bugged.

For instance, only the squad leader can build the radio beacon. I hope this can be fixed for 0.3. If someone else build the radio beacon only him can open the doors. Now only the squad leader can invite people to the group. No more moderators can be added. The squad leader cannot kick people out of the squad anymore. If someone is out of action he has to log back in and leave the group himself which doesn't really make sense.

More options such as colored hex, nametag hex or numbered hex would really help to coordinate troops. A system built in parallel with squad.xml could be pretty neat too if you add the options to incorporate it. For example, in our group we have Infantry, Rangers, Special forces and Engineers all with differents avatars. It could be that your replace the Hex with a small squad xml avatar.

The group limit is too low. The ability to change it server side rather than being hard coded client side would really help to change the dynamic of the group system. My group now has to run in two separate squads because we hit the 16 player limit. When we fight, it can get really chaotic and sometimes we end up killing each others or stopping 5 seconds looking at the enemy and getting headshot thinking it was a friendly. 24 players to 30 players group size limit would be better suited for bigger groups. Even an unlimited group size but exponentials krypto prices could be made.

Currently as we all know the hex groups are kind of bugged.

For instance, only the squad leader can build the radio beacon. I hope this can be fixed for 0.3. If someone else build the radio beacon only him can open the doors. Now only the squad leader can invite people to the group. No more moderators can be added. The squad leader cannot kick people out of the squad anymore. If someone is out of action he has to log back in and leave the group himself which doesn't really make sense.

More options such as colored hex, nametag hex or numbered hex would really help to coordinate troops. A system built in parallel with squad.xml could be pretty neat too if you add the options to incorporate it. For example, in our group we have Infantry, Rangers, Special forces and Engineers all with differents avatars. It could be that your replace the Hex with a small squad xml avatar.

The group limit is too low. The ability to change it server side rather than being hard coded client side would really help to change the dynamic of the group system. My group now has to run in two separate squads because we hit the 16 player limit. When we fight, it can get really chaotic and sometimes we end up killing each others or stopping 5 seconds looking at the enemy and getting headshot thinking it was a friendly. 24 players to 30 players group size limit would be better suited for bigger groups. Even an unlimited group size but exponentials krypto prices could be made.

Sorry but anybody rolling around in a group of 15+ is playing this game wrong in my opinion. What fun is there in that?  Because lets face it most players roll in groups of 4-6 and a team fight 4v3, 5v2, 2v2 etc are all fun but 15v4 is hardly a challenge... On the flip side, I can see how not all 15+ will be on at once, you might have 4-5 on at a time in which case you'd want 1 group still to be able to track everyone who is online without the need for multiple groups

I do agree though that groups need to be tweaked though, with numbers and added functionality etc

I would just like to see a distance underneath each hexagon.    I know a group member is NW of me, but it would be nice to see HOW many meters to the NW he is.   A toggable option that shows group name and distance would be awesome.

I once fluked an instance where it commanded one of my group members to 'follow me' and it placed a distance marker on him so I could see he was a certain distance from me. If somebody can explain how I managed this I would gladly just use this feature alone....

Then again my group commands are always spamming random shit like 'Regroup' without me telling it to.. So It could just be random

When a large chunk of a server population is one group, why would anybody else want to play on it?  I play with one other person, we wouldn't touch a server that had a group of 30 on it, it would be illogical.  I think 16 is more than enough.  Truthfully, I'd say 10 would be enough.  One group shouldn't be more than 10% of population, let alone 25-35% of it.

Using squad.xml or colors to help make the hexagons pop, I can be on board with.  Distance would be helpful too.

@spibox, it should only be spamming regroup when you're really far away from each other.  Not sure what that distance is though.

• 2 weeks later...

With 0.3.x coming soon, I would love the group increase to be in this patch as well as other people besides the group founder to be able to put down a jammer and allow doors to be opened, etc. for everyone in the group. 

• 3 weeks later...

IMO you shouldn't be able to see a group hex unless they're within eye shot.  Being able to see peoples positions through hills and across the map just seems a bit lame, especially for a survival mod.  Not to mention this gives larger groups even more of an advantage over others.  I think the hexes should simply allow you to differentiate someone on your team from others who may be hostile, and that's it.  I think it takes a lot of fun out of navigating the terrain and coordinating objectives with teammates, makes a lot of things way too easy.

I would assume that's something BI would have to do though.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was an open ticket on it that's been sitting there for ages, haven't looked.

You want the distance to be displayed over the hex?  I mean, I guess there should be an option for those who want it, but that's even more dumbed down.  If anything, I would just like to have player names above the hexes so I know who is who.  That alone would be a great improvement and would make a whole lot more sense since, irl, you would most likely be able to tell which teammate you're looking at just by the persons posture, how they move, etc.  The only way to do that in Arma 3 is wearing clothing and the gender option in Epoch.

Surely there are many who would agree with me on this?  Otherwise, sad face, big sad face.

Please consider a system close to Arma 3 AGM with assignable color hex by the squad leader.

That would limit how many people are in your group though, or if you had more people than colors, more than one person would have same color.  I don't know though, maybe that would be better than a name above hex as that could obstruct you view.

Instead of adding stuff to make the game harder (which at this point is quickly reaching overkill)...add stuff to make it more fun.

Like:

Faster ATM's or ATM's at the traders.

Craftable Gliders...with gurnaaaade option.

Base megaphones to blare horrible music until attackers retreat.

Usable and placeable comfy chairs for bases.

More durable cars for stunts and air.

Missions with cash prizes or something other than guns (and no ammo).

Beans. And the gas that gave away your position.

Instead of adding stuff to make the game harder (which at this point is quickly reaching overkill)...add stuff to make it more fun.

Like:

Faster ATM's or ATM's at the traders.

Craftable Gliders...with gurnaaaade option.

Base megaphones to blare horrible music until attackers retreat.

More durable cars for stunts and air.

Missions with cash prizes or something other than guns (and no ammo).

Please tell me you're trolling...

Bout wot?

In my opinion the last update changed a lot of stuff that introduced a whole host of new problems without fixing any of the old ones. Pretty typical but we can always hope the devs try playing this way before implementation...but I don't think they do. Sorry, playing on hardcore mode is no fun for me...I'm a veteran player but not one of the titanium-plated unkillable hard-asses.

Bout wot?

In my opinion the last update changed a lot of stuff that introduced a whole host of new problems without fixing any of the old ones. Pretty typical but we can always hope the devs try playing this way before implementation...but I don't think they do. Sorry, playing on hardcore mode is no fun for me...I'm a veteran player but not one of the titanium-plated unkillable hard-asses.

megaphones to blare horrible music until attackers retreat.

cars for stunts

cash prize

Are these legitimate requests?

No. What I'd actually like is sappers that, if you guys are committed to keeping these guys as walking nukes, follow the laws of physics like everyone else in the game has to. I was upstairs in a locked base and one came upstairs and killed me.

Minutes afterwards my HEMMT cargo was completely blown up by a guy with a 6.5...with less than a full mag. My truck exploded and I was killed. It's REALLY hard to make a car explode like that...no matter how many rounds you unload into it.

What I'd like to know when the next update is expected and whether they plan to un-fuck the mod with it. Anyone who likes it the way it is now is probably too busy burning themselves with lit cigarettes and hooking their balls up to car batteries to notice how the mods have turned this "game" into punishment.

The number of people who absolutely HATE this is way bigger than the handful of weirdos that do.

IMO you shouldn't be able to see a group hex unless they're within eye shot.  Being able to see peoples positions through hills and across the map just seems a bit lame, especially for a survival mod.  Not to mention this gives larger groups even more of an advantage over others.  I think the hexes should simply allow you to differentiate someone on your team from others who may be hostile, and that's it.  I think it takes a lot of fun out of navigating the terrain and coordinating objectives with teammates, makes a lot of things way too easy.

<snip>

Isn't this one of the winners of the super-fair competition called Make Arma Not War (but don't make it as good as Epoch or you won't win anything)?

It allows you to communicate large distances. Bigger vehicle/equipment, the bigger communication rannge.

I guess people want it, it's fun. Most people don't seem to enjoy survival aspect, not in Epoch and in general not in Arma world.