The road to 0.3.0

Tobias Solem

yeah cause thats what we need a clothing sim.Oh wait thats Dayz SA

Haters gonna hate, 'specially when they see me pimpin' the streets in 'dese fine threads.  I be stylin' and survivin' at the same damned time, sucka.

Well Kiory made a purple L85A2, we need some garb to match. =P

Pre Release for off. hosts? Abbound building features and the worst sub-database ever? empty servers? No one cares the no-mods rule? No one cares the Infistar Ban? The devs are like teacher who exhorts youth.

I think here plays the money and it's plays bad. Epoch is outdated. No one cares any more, I am sorry i loved the mod a lot but look at the server availability. No one cares the mod any more, no one plays it any more. There are a few servers which where played. Epoch is not the good mod version of dayz anymore. It is one of tousands mods / maybe survival game on the market. And it is not the best. Such a project can not be handled by as few developers in a reasonable time.

I think i will stop working on my personal mods. So i say goodbye and can you think only recommend to put time into this game (unless you live on Hartz IV as other modders here). I know now many fanboys ignore me or try to present myself as a hater. But i am not a hater, i realist.

So have a good day. Maybe in another game.

Varlop Nagelfar

Pre Release for off. hosts? Abbound building features and the worst sub-database ever? empty servers? No one cares the no-mods rule? No one cares the Infistar Ban? The devs are like teacher who exhorts youth.

I think here plays the money and it's plays bad. Epoch is outdated. No one cares any more, I am sorry i loved the mod a lot but look at the server availability. No one cares the mod any more, no one plays it any more. There are a few servers which where played. Epoch is not the good mod version of dayz anymore. It is one of tousands mods / maybe survival game on the market. And it is not the best. Such a project can not be handled by as few developers in a reasonable time.

I think i will stop working on my personal mods. So i say goodbye and can you think only recommend to put time into this game (unless you live on Hartz IV as other modders here). I know now many fanboys ignore me or try to present myself as a hater. But i am not a hater, i realist.

Varlop Nagelfar

Varlop Nagelfar

Many people agree with you, but we should withhold judgement until the mod is complete. 

Expectations are high because of the outstanding success of their DayZ Epoch modimod, so heaven knows why they change a successful mode so much, but hey, it's their game.

Stick with it until it's developed further, or at least come back and check it out.

Personally, I worry for it, I just hope my gut feeling is wrong.

Varlop Nagelfar

I totally agree. I can't believe the current state of the mod. It's almost like it's a 25% completed Alpha mod of a Beta game. 

[/sarcasm]

I agree too, less and less servers play Epoch mod.

Our community started a new server ten days ago, It begins with 30 players the first days, now it's empty...

Why ?

I guess there is a problem of survival. Too many loot everywhere, too many weapons, food etc ...

There is no challenge to get stuffed, no challenge to survive.

You die, what ever, 5 mins later you re stuffed again.

The weapons are not balanced, too many heavy weapons like M107 or Lynx etc ...

The loot of food have to be lowered too, there is no challenge finding foods. Actually nobody die from starving at all.

The base building is the main feature of Epoch, and it's work well, not perfect, but still very good.

This is alpha, this is in development I know, I m only interrogating myself, why the mod isn't what it was expected to be, what can be changed/tweaked.

I m looking forward the next patch, and hope the loots will be balanced.

Challenges have to be back on Epoch !

Ameo

Shaddaa.fr

Our community started a new server ten days ago, It begins with 30 players the first days, now it's empty...

Why ?

I guess there is a problem of survival. Too many loot everywhere, too many weapons, food etc ...

There is no challenge to get stuffed, no challenge to survive.

You die, what ever, 5 mins later you re stuffed again.

The weapons are not balanced, too many heavy weapons like M107 or Lynx etc ...

The loot of food have to be lowered too, there is no challenge finding foods. Actually nobody die from starving at all.

The base building is the main feature of Epoch, and it's work well, not perfect, but still very good.

This is alpha, this is in development I know, I m only interrogating myself, why the mod isn't what it was expected to be, what can be changed/tweaked.

I m looking forward the next patch, and hope the loots will be balanced.

Challenges have to be back on Epoch !

Ameo

Shaddaa.fr

Have you played Breaking Point?  I have, and will never play it again.  Reason: I ran around for hours looking for loot and every freakin suitcase I came across had the same boring loot.  Brick, matches, tennis ball and .223 rifle or shotgun.  It wasn't like Christmas when you opened packages.  Most everyone sporting the same weapons.  With Epoch we have many options.

Here, you have no clue what's gonna be in that gun case, sofa or cabinet...could suck, could be just what you are looking for.   I'm in it for the combat and tactics and laughing my ass off when a truck doing 70kmh hits my SLAM mine and becomes a ball of fire.   Or sniping the pilot out of a little bird at 1.2km with a Lynx or 320   

I like the survival aspect, but only if it doesn't become searching for hours on end to find something I need.

This mod allows me and others to play the way we like, and that's why I stay and consider this the best mod out there even in alpha state.

If I wanted to go pure survivalist, I could.  Build a shack up in the hills and only use my two feet as transportation and kill only animals for food.  Nothing is stopping anyone from playing like they want and I'm betting the choices will increase as the mod is developed.

I used this same analogy for Standalone, but it's very applicable here as well.  Complaining about Epoch in its current state is about like complaining because you get wet when it rains inside your house that's still being built.  The foundation has been laid, the walls are up but there is much more yet to be built before it can be called 'home'.  Feedback is good.  Opinions are fine.  However I get the feeling from reading many comments here that people are judging Epoch as if it's a finished product, when in fact it has a long way to go. 

Why ?

I dunno, maybe... just MAYBE there are too many servers (over 1000) for the limited amount of players who are actually interested in an early alpha-version.

The amount of people who still are unable to grasp how early the mod is in development is staggering. 

The devs released the mod to the public too early because the entitled masses and their mothers were whining and DEMANDING they SHOULD have this NOW!

The same people are now bitching about that the mod is still in early alpha. "Wat, mod not complete yet after a few months of development?!?!? Nerdrage & demands"

Epoch is not the good mod version of dayz anymore. It is one of tousands mods / maybe survival game on the market. And it is not the best.

You know there's an epoch mod for Arma 3 right? I mean I'm being kind of sarcastic and sort of serious at the same time.

I'm thinking the mod needs those antagonists to introduce a constant threat.

If you are not being attacked by a player or players or attacking then you have no other threat to your well being.

I'm feeling somewhat confident that after they introduce the ones they have in this upcoming patch they may look at putting more in.

Heck.. If they got the time why not make a bunch of alternate skins and let a server choose what they want to have.

I can't imagine it's terribly hard. Once you have the base model of characteristics you just make skins for them and choose which skin you want to apply.

Anyways... Aside from that I think things will heighten with the addition of more antagonists alone.

I'm thinking the mod needs those antagonists to introduce a constant threat.

If you are not being attacked by a player or players or attacking then you have no other threat to your well being.

I'm feeling somewhat confident that after they introduce the ones they have in this upcoming patch they may look at putting more in.

Heck.. If they got the time why not make a bunch of alternate skins and let a server choose what they want to have.

I can't imagine it's terribly hard. Once you have the base model of characteristics you just make skins for them and choose which skin you want to apply.

Anyways... Aside from that I think things will heighten with the addition of more antagonists alone.

I've removed the chance for antagonists to spawn when looting because I have A3EAI running. Those AI provide enough of a threat. 

Saw some streams of 0.3.0 patch it looks awesome.

Now, I currently play on PVE server but it is pain in the ass. Every step you take you bump into group of AI, they spawn out of nowhere and I think it is much harder to play like that than in regular PvP server where people do not just randomly spawn on you in every city (small or big). It even spawns in the middle of nowhere, haha. Not sure if I like to play like this cause looting is very very hard.

So if in PVE there is no problem getting killed, then PvP should not be much worse? Especially if the server is not empty. Anyway, the antagonists are good, but I noticed that most servers now have antagonists PLUS AI patrolls (foot, vehicle, air) and it becomes less of an apocalypse kind of style but some war game, I don't know. I do not mind AI patrolls as long as they are not spawning on your every step out of nowhere.

So I would rather play vanilla Epoch with antagonists bumped up than moded Epoch with 1000+ AI, which is not any more realistic.

And in 0.3. there will be more antagonists, also you will be able to get metal from cars, cinder from special yellow cinder blocks at construction sites, other stuff in shipwrecks under water. Also sharks.. who tend to swim on a land for some reason :D

The server you are playing on probably has dynamic and random AI enabled. I've set mine up so that the AI are only in the towns, disabled the random and dynamic AI, and I've set the chance for antagonists to spawn while looting to 0%. For the patrols, I have two ground patrols in unarmed vehicles and one heli patrol, also unarmed, which will paradrop bandits on you if they spot you. Less hectic and still PVE. It's all in how the server is configured.

Well now the new changelog is available we can stop guessing and discuss it :)

I'm well impressed, some massive changes and i'm looking forward to it :D

I did notice some bugs are not mentioned or fixed :unsure: things like :

* Vehicles explode when you approach them

* vehicles get stuck in the ground

* Vehicles that float, shooting will fix but it still damages them

Hopefully a passing Dev will reply :) maybe the changelog isn't yet finished

There's an item on there Richie about an attempted vehicle exploding fix.

I'm curious about this:

Added] Frequency Jammer now required by default to build a base. Can be controlled with desc.ext mission variable: buildingRequireJammer.

That means the jammer would have to be placed out in the open. Once the base is built can the jammer be moved inside the structure to keep it safe? If it cannot be moved will jammers be permanently indescribable? Otherwise someone could just blow the jammer and move base parts around at will.

I'm curious about this:

[Fixed] Frequency Jammer can not be built or placed within 3x Jammer radius. (default 225m)

Does that mean we can not have backup Jammers or does this mean another group's Jammer cannot be placed within 225m?    I assume since the radius will be 75m by default, that others can move objects outside that range.

Kinda confusing on the Jammer changes in general in this changelog

my ding dong is ready. So far I read everything in change log and LIKE everything, every change. Well, maybe the frequency jammer requirements to place it by default in order to build. Anything else is just wow.

It's optional for the jammer to be required, i'll disable the requirement so players can build a secure base and THEN place the jammer down, if it could be moved afterwards the it would be enabled.