Vehicle keys

Edin

I would really love to see the old known vehicle key system as in arma 2.

For now the 4 days lock doesn't make really much sense for me ( currently it's not working for 4 days, only untill restart ), because there could and will be some people who think this is funny to travel around the map and lock the vehicles just for fun.

And currently how it is with the locking untill restart, yes it is like you let your base doors open, and everybody can come and take out from the base what they want.

You have no chance to secure your vehicle, except you build a garage, but for choppers you dont have a chance except you are very creativ, but this is not the sense of this.

The key will give the vehicle a real value, as it is in arma 2, the people are always stressed not to lose the key, and the bandits always excited after the kill if there could be one on the corpse.

I'am sure I'am not alone with this opinion, so if you could bring back the keys, it would be fantastic.

Greets

ED

+1

I would love to see the key system return that is currently in DayZ Epoch. Much more fun for PvP as Edin mentioned.

Was there any specific line of thought to change the locking system to what it is now? Or, is it planned to be the sane and just simply further along the roadmap?

Having keys is an admin nightmare. "I lost my key", "My key randomly deleted." and blah blah blah. The current system refreshes vehicles and keeps the server cleaner.

Nobody said it is funny, but this is the life from an admin. The Epoch Community dont live from the admins, but from the rest.

Greets

In A2 the key system was awesome and sucked at the same time - you ran around the map seeing abandoned locked vehicles in which there were very few fresh spawned vehicles on the map. People got lazy and just started leaving them in bushes and trees. 

With not having the key system, it allows new spawns and others to gain control over a vehicle. It leaves many vehicles on the map for everyone to enjoy. Not only this, but as well it creates a challenge for a player to actually having to protect their vehicle. Locking it up in a garage of some sort. 

Not having a key system is the way i feel. 30 min lock time is plenty, creates challenge for the player and allows all players have a chance at getting a vehicle. 

Nobody said it is funny, but this is the life from an admin. The Epoch Community dont live from the admins, but from the rest.

Greets

You have a point there.

OTOH, I spent my days replacing so called "lost keys" so many times that I agree with the "nightmare" part.

The problem arises when you want to keep players on your server, but then start whining everytime they die and find some excuse how they not have spares, and threaten to leave your server forever with their friends because the "admins suck since they don't replace keys".

There has been a post where devs told they're considering making custom locktimes (beyond server restarts) possible; THAT will be the right way.. It's alpha, sit it out, a solution will come.

You have a point there.

OTOH, I spent my days replacing so called "lost keys" so many times that I agree with the "nightmare" part.

The problem arises when you want to keep players on your server, but then start whining everytime they die and find some excuse how they not have spares, and threaten to leave your server forever with their friends because the "admins suck since they don't replace keys".

There has been a post where devs told they're considering making custom locktimes (beyond server restarts) possible; THAT will be the right way.. It's alpha, sit it out, a solution will come.

The only problem with that idea, as I've seen mentioned before, is that you'll get trolls who fly round the server and unlock/lock all the cars they can find leaving far fewer/none for other players. Even if you had a variable limit that could be set of say 5 vehicles per player, it would only take a group of 5-10 players to troll and still upset the balance but, that could be one of line of thought for a solution.

Tbh, I don't like the way it is now and can understand player's frustration at not being able to lock for longer than a restart, especially with helis which can't be hidden. I honestly don't know how you can beat the key system in arma 2 epoch.

You'll find that how much players moan about lost keys really comes back to your attitude as the server owners and admins as to how you deal with each player's circumstance and excuse for losing the key as well as how you configure your server. One of the biggest reasons for key loss has to be with players lack of knowledge that keys use weapons slots and a safe will eat the key if overfilled. It also depends what feel of server you have. If you have lots of pay 2 win options; spawning with weapons, spawning at bases; spawning with OP load out, protective domes at bases etc., you will tend to get a less veteran feel to your server as the vets won't touch it with a barge pole. So you can then end up with a lot of high maintenance players who expect to be given anything and everything on demand.

I vote for the key system to be brought back but, maybe with an easier option for players to make copies of keys.

In A2 the key system was awesome and sucked at the same time - you ran around the map seeing abandoned locked vehicles in which there were very few fresh spawned vehicles on the map. People got lazy and just started leaving them in bushes and trees.

With not having the key system, it allows new spawns and others to gain control over a vehicle. It leaves many vehicles on the map for everyone to enjoy. Not only this, but as well it creates a challenge for a player to actually having to protect their vehicle. Locking it up in a garage of some sort.

Not having a key system is the way i feel. 30 min lock time is plenty, creates challenge for the player and allows all players have a chance at getting a vehicle.

new system is a massive improvement. work of a genius.

The key system was a nice design for it's time, but it's a server nightmare. The new system is so much better. You will never keep a helicopter, just accept it. But there will be a lot more in random fields for you to find.

just need a dome structure (door) to land in & park helis in personal hangars. 100 meter IR remote controlled please. thx.

I've been thinking about this and have an idea I think would solve much of this.

You buy a car/find a car.  The first person to drive the car binds the car to the player like the jammer (this could be a player option to own the car or just abandon it).  If you choose to own the car, apply the same rules to the car as applied to the jammer (people in your group will have access).  The owner (or anyone in your group) can lock/unlock, but if you want to steal the car you must kill the actual owner to get the key or find it unlocked.  You kill the owner of the car.  Upon owner death a key falls on the ground like krypto currently does.  If you want to take the car, pick up the key.  Once you pick up the key, the key vanishes (like the krypto ipod vanishes) but now you are written to the database as the vehicle owner.

Say you kill the driver of the car but he's not the owner?  If the player you kill left the car unlocked, you have until server restart to sell the car or it locks again on restart and the original owner can come back for it.

After X amount of days without interaction the car unlocks and awaits it's new owner.

This could be applied only to cars you purchased etc...  Options...

It's a rough idea but I think it's doable.

I believe thats called Origins Mod .....

dunno, I don't play other mods if this dome exists in other mods I'm unaware. bought arma 2 & 3 just for epoch.

I just want me a big heli garage and epoch is juuustt perfect. there's a dome building in game already (science complex?). only need to put a door on top of that, make it a buildable, with a remote controller and we will be sorted with heli garage/hangars.

I dare think this need to be provided due to the (great) design decision of removing keys.

I've been thinking about this and have an idea I think would solve much of this.

You buy a car/find a car.  The first person to drive the car binds the car to the player like the jammer (this could be a player option to own the car or just abandon it).  If you choose to own the car, apply the same rules to the car as applied to the jammer (people in your group will have access).  The owner (or anyone in your group) can lock/unlock, but if you want to steal the car you must kill the actual owner to get the key or find it unlocked.  You kill the owner of the car.  Upon owner death a key falls on the ground like krypto currently does.  If you want to take the car, pick up the key.  Once you pick up the key, the key vanishes (like the krypto ipod vanishes) but now you are written to the database as the vehicle owner.

Say you kill the driver of the car but he's not the owner?  If the player you kill left the car unlocked, you have until server restart to sell the car or it locks again on restart and the original owner can come back for it.

After X amount of days without interaction the car unlocks and awaits it's new owner.

This could be applied only to cars you purchased etc...  Options...

It's a rough idea but I think it's doable.

I think this idea has some merit.

I don't like this 30min lock business it makes keeping choppers nexto impossible because wherever YOU can land your chopper, someone else can just as easily hover low and drop off a team member to jump in and fly it away when you're offline. Yeah you can build walls between the propeller blades but you run the risk of the wall falling over and blowing up the chopper each and every time...

This idea means you can keep the chopper safe when you're not online but as long as you're online you risk losing it by being killed.

Scenarios:

1. You're out looting while you're chopper is safe at base, you die, lose the key but the killer doesn't know where your base is - you still have a chopper at your base but its now unlocked and free-reign for anyone who stumbles on it (goes back to standard 30min lockdown timer). If killer who has the key can find your chopper at any time, he will be able to interact with it and lock it permanently for himself or until he drops the key.

2. You're flying chopper, land it and get shot dead - killer picks up your key and uses it to unlock chopper, killer becomes new owner until key is lost or chopper sold. If killer is then killed, whoever last picks up the key and uses it on the chopper will be the new owner.

3. Key is left on the ground, or picked up but not used on the chopper, chopper will go back to 30min lockdown timer wherever it is for whoever interacts with it. (similar to scenario 1)

4. Group member is flying and is killed after landing, they drop the key also. Key is tied to groups. Same rules apply as above.

Can anyone else think of scenarios where this system would be broken?

If you bothered to read the thread at all you'd realise it's not so much 'keys' which are now being proposed but a method of ownership that does not come in the form of a bunch of random keys which players can move around and store in lockboxes etc...

What you are saying is "do not reply to the original poster but reply to me" - I will not do that.

The title of the thread is "VEHICLE KEYS". Anyone with half a brain can understand it is the keys that is being discussed in here.

For others with less than half a brain, below is a partial quote from the first post:

I would really love to see the old known vehicle key system as in arma 2.

For now the 4 days lock doesn't make really much sense for me ( currently it's not working for 4 days, only untill restart ), because there could and will be some people who think this is funny to travel around the map and lock the vehicles just for fun.

And currently how it is with the locking untill restart, yes it is like you let your base doors open, and everybody can come and take out from the base what they want.

You have no chance to secure your vehicle, except you build a garage, but for choppers you dont have a chance except you are very creativ, but this is not the sense of this.

The key will give the vehicle a real value, as it is in arma 2, the people are always stressed not to lose the key, and the bandits always excited after the kill if there could be one on the corpse.

Clearly the thread starters post is about keys and not "much more" than keys. It's the friggin physical keys. I have replied to this.

What I said is completely relevant to the thread and the thread starter's 1st post.

You don't like the new key system I do.

The system you support (based on the idea of existence of physical keys) or its variants will not come  back - don't get personal when you don't get what you want.

I did not even take the time to reply to chisel's idea -which you apparently like- but let me tell you, it will not happen either, it is hybrid and not in a best-of-both-worlds good way but an unnecessarily complicated way.

The new system is much better than anything based on existence of physical keys however it clearly does have a weakness as follows:

1. In this game things magically appear in game world ('spawn').

2. Having claimed it by fortune or force you can keep it by placing it in your locked space (a rifle, a car, a backpack all the same).

3. Sadly helis is an exception - game in its current form does not give the lockable storage to store a heli just yet. Even if a heli owner has superior preparation, intelligence, resources, another dude, just by the virtue of being online when the heli owner is not can simply take it. This destroys the main idea behind any successful game (plan well, execute well with skill and experience, then you should reliably win).

Current lack of heli storage changes the game (in this limited aspect) to a game of luck, a dice roll if you will.

As I said, a remote controlled large dome structure (hangar/garage) will allow even lone wolves to find a heli/claim it/bring in to their lockable safe storage and keep ownership (and this will be in line with "let's get rid of key nightmare" approach which many people support 100%).

A well organized determined attacker can still take down the dome and take/destroy the heli but he will be paying with his time (at least) and probably with ammunition for his aggression.

What you are saying is "do not reply to the original poster but reply to me" - I will not do that.

The title of the thread is "VEHICLE KEYS". Anyone with half a brain can understand it is the keys that is being discussed in here.

For others with less than half a brain, below is a partial quote from the first post:

Clearly the thread starters post is about keys and not "much more" than keys. It's the friggin physical keys. I have replied to this.

What I said is completely relevant to the thread and the thread starter's 1st post.

You don't like the new key system I do.

The system you support (based on the idea of existence of physical keys) or its variants will not come  back - don't get personal when you don't get what you want.

I did not even take the time to reply to chisel's idea -which you apparently like- but let me tell you, it will not happen either, it is hybrid and not in a best-of-both-worlds good way but an unnecessarily complicated way.

The new system is much better than anything based on existence of physical keys however it clearly does have a weakness as follows:

1. In this game things magically appear in game world ('spawn').

2. Having claimed it by fortune or force you can keep it by placing it in your locked space (a rifle, a car, a backpack all the same).

3. Sadly helis is an exception - game in its current form does not give the lockable storage to store a heli just yet. Even if a heli owner has superior preparation, intelligence, resources, another dude, just by the virtue of being online when the heli owner is not can simply take it. This destroys the main idea behind any successful game (plan well, execute well with skill and experience, then you should reliably win).

Current lack of heli storage changes the game (in this limited aspect) to a game of luck, a dice roll if you will.

As I said, a remote controlled large dome structure (hangar/garage) will allow even lone wolves to find a heli/claim it/bring in to their lockable safe storage and keep ownership (and this will be in line with "let's get rid of key nightmare" approach which many people support 100%).

A well organized determined attacker can still take down the dome and take/destroy the heli but he will be paying with his time (at least) and probably with ammunition for his aggression.

:huh: Sorry my less than half brain cannot comprehend your point...

Maybe try being less of a condescending wanker when you post and you might get your point across better.

• 5 years later...