Why indestructible bases?

CrazyCorky

So as the title implies...

Why is everyone going to indestructible bases. I thought the whole point of a post apocalyptic situation was to survive!? Raiding and looting someone else's base is part of that survival aspect. I've seen a few of the servers I really enjoy playing on go to indestructible bases. It saddens me.

I understand that there are still plenty out there that have destructible bases.. but finding a decent one with good players is hard to find!

What are you thoughts?!

Well people should be able to play however they want to. I prefer to play with destrucable bases, but I understand why people would like indestruable bases. There seems to be a lot of raiding of bases when the defenders are offline and that is annoying. Also building takes such a long time. I probably spent more time building than trying to survive and roam about and it is getting boring.

Player Scenario:  

I work a lot but enjoy playing as much as I can make time for.  I put in some time over the weekend and finally get a base up after grinding and looting.

I don't play on Monday night but sign in on Tuesday to find my entire base is destroyed and everything taken.

Server Owner:

I don't want to lose player base so I allow for indestructible bases.

This is basically the main reason for it.

On a side note this is what I tested.

Who needs C4?  I found a massive base built around a church.  I found 3 cars near by and parked them along side the outter walls made of cinder and wood/metal panels.  I parked them next to walls but near other.  I blew up 1 car (after a shitload of rounds).  A nuclear bomb went off.  Blew up 60% of the base because it caused a chain reaction.  All vehicles inside blew up also.

In a matter of minutes I took down a giant base that probably took a week of grinding to build.

It's that simple....and its purely the prefernce of the server owner.  No one else.  Everyone has their own opinions.

I think having only doors be destructible is a great idea but cars can be used as bombs too easily.

I'm implementing indestructible base items on my server as of today to test a theory.  I keep getting more and more reports every day of bases and other built items "disappearing".  However I tend to think that it's more likely that people are doing raids on other bases and they're getting destroyed.  So if that's the case, then after today the disappearing bases will stop.  If bases and walls and shelves continue disappearing, then there must be a game glitch that needs investigated by the devs. 

Once the test is completed here in a few days and we have a chance to see which side of the fence the trend falls on, we will likely roll back to indestructible cinder only.  Doing this certainly isn't my first choice, as I agree that doing base raids is part of the game and should be permitted.  But we have to find out why items are disappearing and come up with a way to either fix it or players need to build bases so that they cannot be breached.  This test will provide the data to make that possible.  

We went indestructible bases aswell due to the amount of explosives in-game but we also went simi militarized with some vehicles with guns on it . I understand the aspect of survive but not every server wants to be the same as others all about the prospective of the server owner and what he wants for his players or what the players want for that "Server"

Just a few thougths...

I played on a few high pop servers which switched from the destructible bases to fully indestuctible. With that the player count dropped significantly from ~70 ppl online down to 10-15, mostly organized in three groups. Most oft these remainig players went into full minecraft mode and did build huge bases like skytowers and so, hoarding gear and everything they could find - approximately 90% of all vehicles are hoarded in these bases.

New players randomly joining the server are reduced somewhat to walking practice-targets for the heli crews.  Since the option to find a new spawned car er even a heli for the new guys is an absolute rarity, gearing up after death is much harder for them. And with no real option for the new guys to leverage this inbalance in power by blowing up bases, they sooner or later leave......

I'm tempted to implement this myself, I had a popular server with around 40-60 always online, then a clan came along that went round systematically attacking other bases, that's all they did.

Every day players would come online and rant their base was trolled, the attacking clan would move base parts and dismantle it, they would empty the shelves and just dump the loot on the floor.

The base owners soon got sick of it happening and moved on :(

I'm tempted to implement this myself, I had a popular server with around 40-60 always online, then a clan came along that went round systematically attacking other bases, that's all they did.

Every day players would come online and rant their base was trolled, the attacking clan would move base parts and dismantle it, they would empty the shelves and just dump the loot on the floor.

The base owners soon got sick of it happening and moved on :(

If it was me i'd then get my crew together and systermatically do the same to their base daily. But ArmA 3 players are mostly pansies and will rather just leave the server and move on, the same type of player who becomes so attached to their digital items, that they die and move on when they lose a set of NVG's.

Retaining these types of players is extremley difficult. They will eventually leave due to some kind of death/loss they arent happy with.

Indestructable cinder walls does help though.

Why is everyone going to indestructible bases. I thought the whole point of a post apocalyptic situation was to survive!? Raiding and looting someone else's base is part of that survival aspect. I've seen a few of the servers I really enjoy playing on go to indestructible bases. It saddens me.

I understand that there are still plenty out there that have destructible bases.. but finding a decent one with good players is hard to find!

What are you thoughts?!

otherwise you come home from work and find that neck beards with no job have wrecked your shit while your offline.

If players were content with a small enclosure and a boxed room for the jammer, there wouldn't be any need to go indestructible.

But the truth of the matter is, many players want to build cower towers to safely snipe from, and huge compounds to hoard vehicleS.

Also, if the build system was more friendly toward fortification of existing buildings, it wouldn't be a massive deal logging on to see your garage taken over. You'd simply collect some more shit and block off another house with garage.

There is only one reason why right now I would support indestructible bases. The new building system with it's physics is a nightmare to manage just getting a base together that is more then a few squares in size. If someone destroys part of your base to get into it or for whatever reason it is simply horrible to try to FIX your base afterwards. I don't mean it's just hard, I am all for things needing to be difficult to do, I mean it's just not acceptable in it's current form. It means taking apart most or all of what's left of your base and starting over. And to make matters worse it's WAY harder to work with already constructed building pieces over placing ones from your inventory. Right now if someone takes out part of your base to gain access, you might as well just start over if you had a base of any decent size.

I also feel it should be a lot harder to blow up a base. Right now one satchel charge won't just get you in one wall, it will take out a huge area. It should take multiple satchel charges to take out a frequency jammer, right now you can take out the floor the jammer is on, the jammer, and the walls around it by just placing one charge under the foundation (tell me again why the foundations are open?).

otherwise you come home from work and find that neck beards with no job have wrecked your shit while your offline.

Mostly because of this, gentleman agreements in Arma is a rarity. And it takes way too long to build a base compared to the 30 seconds it takes to destroy it.

Currently, our bases keep despawning parts, and stuff inside disappears only to return a day later (cars).

Jammers have vanished in a blink of an eye. It's not great, putting me off base building.

Also, is there a difference between spawned in materials and looted materials?

What are you thoughts?!

none of this would matter to someone that really wants to get in to a base as the wall and floor glitch is to easy to do.