Any terrain builders ? I need help with an error

Richie

Does anyone know why PBO Project throws an error when trying to pack, the error seems to be with my library sources used in Terrain Builder.
It says my files are not found or faulty, I know the path is correct, I verified the files through Steam and none have an error, i'm lost now :unsure:

Screen shot of error

Mjdw2G4.png

I thought i was so close to making my first terrain :( I knew something had to go wrong.
Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help.

Hi Falconsan, thanks for taking the time to answer.

My P drive should be setup correctly, i've followed all guides and it shows correctly, i can access it and all my A3 files loot like they were copied over.

See the image below, the file does indeed exist in the correct place

0uuSUFt.png

Have you tried running Arma3P from mikero's tools again? Or are you using A3Tools DevP?  something may have borked when it extracted the pbo's.

I've never had an issue when using mikero's tools, A3Tools however, seem to break more things than they fix whenever they are updated :)

I did try running Arma3P.cmd again and noticed i had a validation or permission error, a PC reboot fixed it and it ran without any issues.

However, it seems i still have the problem or my test terrain is b0rked somehow, I'm going to start again tonight and see what happens, at least this time i know for sure my P drive is ok.

yeah, could also be something to do with any object template libraries your using.

I just create my own out of the relevant folders, since some things i.e. file locations, could be case sensetive.  I seem to remember something about that somewhere, dunno if it's relevant to your particular issue.

Have you tried removing the offending Tree from your object template library and readding it ?, just a suggestion, but make a backup of your map before you do.

Rule #1 of Terrain Builder, save a LOT.

Rule #2 of Terrain Builder, keep regular backups, because if things go really tits up, there is no going back in most cases.

:)

The error was with all of my library objects :unsure: It started with houses, so i deleted them, then other buildings, so i deleted them, eventully i got to the trees and thought, something ain't right here.

All trial and error, it was only a small island with a few roads and villages, it'll do me good to keep trying, terrain building is one hell of a learning curve, no wonder there are so few creators.

Although i think i have the easy part, my co-admin is making new custom buildings, sod that :lol:

haha, yeah I agree with the steep learning curve. 

Although I've been playing with maps in Arma for quite some time, basically teaching myself what can and cannot be done, all the time finding better and more efficient ways of doing different things.

There's more I still need to figure out, but I'll cross those bridges when I come to them. 

Current town im working on is ~1900 objects and counting (estimated final object count for this town is going to be about 3500-4k objects, I'm getting there but it takes a lot of time to do large towns, and testing to make sure they don't destroy fps :)

Probably take a break from those once this one is done and go do some farms or something in the countryside :D

I have a few cool things planned for my terrain, but they are hush hush atm, not even nearly ready to create an announcement thread on BI forums yet ;)

I wish you the best of luck :)

You ever get bored and want someone to talk to, come join my TS3 server, when i talk to my lot about these things they just say 'WTF are you on about' :lol: they just like playing, i prefer the editor and terrain builder though.

I wish you the best of luck :)

You ever get bored and want someone to talk to, come join my TS3 server, when i talk to my lot about these things they just say 'WTF are you on about' :lol: they just like playing, i prefer the editor and terrain builder though.

haha I think the day I get bored, is the day I book myself in to the loony bin! :P

But I still have your TS details so I may make an appearance, I generally have tunes blaring out when map making though :)

yeah the guys on my TS are always asking what im up to, paste a ton of code to them and they're like "hooookay then......", then they usually get me gaming for a while :D

• 10 months later...

I did fix it cheers Falconsan, not sure if updating PboProject fixed it or something else, was a while back now.

My terrain is coming on well, i'd say maybe 80% done, just 1 city to do now and then all the misc buildings around the map before a beta version is released for bug testing, see the Spero image in my sig for progress, thanks for the reply though.

Hey Falcon, I recommend that you use pboProject instead of binPBO (buggy as hell), since it also points out user error in configs (and is damn good at it). Simply point to folder(s) and crunch away. You might want to consider splitting up your project into multiple parts - like image data, configs and wrp all separately, allows for faster binarization in case of minor changes.

What exactly do you need help with?
Not sure if this helps, but part of my workflow actually starts inside good old visitor 3 where I import PNG using PBL import and then I export to .PEW to be imported into TB.
An extra step, but works like a charm and allows me to import image files for heightfield data exported from Worlmachine, so I don't have to pay for L3DT crap.

Make sure to look at Altis configs, see if you've missed anything, terrain configs are slightly different from A2's I believe.

edit: @11:50
edit2: For model binarization I would suggest setting up Addon builder since we don't care about errors much there. Let me know if you've any trouble with it.

Edited by raymix

1 hour ago, falconsan said:

The damn Terrainbuilder dont wants to show my build into Buldozer. :)

Make a new folder in the root of your P drive called scripts

inside that make a new file called editor.sqs

open editor.sqs with any text editor and paste the following (Change the path to suit your project, leave data/roads/ at the end) :

~.1
result = buldozer_LoadNewRoads "P:/Path/to/your/project/data/roads/";