I will back MySQL for Epoch !!

RHE24

tools why?  So you people spy and follow players around the map without them knowing its an admin EY. Epoch team make it so it pops up if an admin is online or add a marker to the map to show where theye admins who abuse "cough" use these tools on a live server.

as a server owner i do not use any tools as they are just not needed they ruin your game if using not to script or make addons for your server.

as stated above you Should see where the people who use admin tools active or used within the game mission this will stop anyabuse from admins to players as player will know he used the tool and leave the server to kill these server off

^^ even better idea  it deploys a  indestructable drone above the admin with a red arrow above the drone

such a newb he needs tools to play

Even spawning gear if someone has lost theires is abusing their tools  /one sec click = 2 hour loot\

go play dayz the original one about 1 half year ago there was nothing just a vanilla server it was the most fun iv everhad 30 cars couple urals and a few helis more surival in dayz #1

than epoch as its too OP with trading well not as bad as a2epoch

nothing wrong with redis < my opinion

tools why?  So you people spy and follow players around the map without them knowing its an admin EY. Epoch team make it so it pops up if an admin is online or add a marker to the map to show where theye admins who abuse "cough" use these tools on a live server.

as a server owner i do not use any tools as they are just not needed they ruin your game if using not to script or make addons for your server.

as stated above you Should see where the people who use admin tools active or used within the game mission this will stop anyabuse from admins to players as player will know he used the tool and leave the server to kill these server off

^^ even better idea  it deploys a  indestructable drone above the admin with a red arrow above the drone

We want DB tools to improve the player experience, well known tools so we don't have to follow courses or end up stranded since our game host doesn't support it.

I don't care what other admins do, if they abuse w/e is handed to them it's their (childish) problem since I know that players on those servers will soon end up on servers that are admin'd the right way, with helpful tools, like ours, and others.

I, and many other admins actually have the decency to use admin tools for what they're used for.. What you think of the level of other admins is moot.

You sir, are a moron. You can lookup the position of a player in Redis very easily as it is. It's not about that. Also with all the glitches currently in Epoch and ARMA you NEED admin tools to be able to reimburse items lost to glitches, every day my admin team replace helicopters and cars lost to glitches (player gets in and it explodes instantly / it's left against a wall at a restart and explodes). Replaces peoples gear when they've died to a glitch and can't get back to their body or indeed teleports them back to their body. It's not about the admin tools it's about the admins application of them. We have a long history of not abusing our admin powers. I come from an IT support background and I have a strong belief in admins not interfering with the state of play. We often have one admin on "admin duty" who removes themselves from the game play to help a player if they call for it then won't re-enter gameplay for a reasonable amount of time.

Here's a couple of perfect examples of how we used SQL on a daily basis to support players on our A2 server.

If a player died to a glitch. Ask them to drop to lobby, go into the player database and set their last generation from 0 to 1, move them a few meters out of harms way in their coords then tell them to log back in, player logs back in alive, with all their gear, only a few meters from where the glitch happened and continues on like nothing has occured, this reduces the impact of game glitches on the state of play, a massive game breaker for most large MMO's and something small ARMA servers struggle with. Also reduces the amount of administration work us admins have to do to keep players playing.

Finding hackers and people who dupe, it's really easy to find people who are spawning in items, giving themselves money or back in A2 humanity if someone has been on the server for two days and has a heap of the same things, easiest way to look at that is in the DB, SQL was very easy to work with in that regard, Redis, not so much.

There was also the automated cleaning of the server, my Overpoch server is still running, on a box at home, just for a few players, I haven't really looked at it for about 2 months, but guess what, I haven't needed to either, I've set it up with SQL scripts so it's entirely self cleaning, self-maintaining, It'll just keep on chugging along happily. Now I'm sure you can create those same things for Redis, but unlike SQL, where I went on the net and found most of what I needed already written for me and just had to adapt it I'll need to almost learn how to be a database engineer just to work with Redis. And again I say, I should not need to do this just to run a game server.

[..]

Would be interesting to see;

1.  if there is a difference between the hiveext.dll and extDB.dll (I believe someone was porting over A2 EPoch to extDB) for trader slowdown using the same MySQL DB. 

2. If a MySQL DB hosted on a ram disk still has the same issue.

--

1. Has been tested, we found that MySQL was never the bottleneck for A2 (as expected bad server performance had to do with the number of objects*). Michael did succeed in porting all the functions to extDB, i remember the default hiveext was slighty quicker but that would not be noticable ingame.
  2. Guess that is overkill and possibly the rocket car you previously referred to. Although i agree a little data on that wouldnt hurt.

* If not already done, you might want to The stuff that we were working on there eventually made it possible for us to host a highly populated server (25+ players) on high FPS (15+) all the time, including stuff like Wicked AI and a building limit of 1500 objects per player. The key was not letting the server handle the buildables that had no interaction (e.g. floor/walls/sandbags/stairs/etc.). If interested i'd be willing to share the final code so you can have a look, we have stopped running an A2 Epoch server cause the hacks were getting too bad.

Edit: Might as wel share all of our stuff to anyone interested, It's not like we are ever going to run another Epoch server and it might prove handy to others. Everything is there, which also includes a working Battle Royale mod for A2 Epoch (written from scratch).

--

1. Has been tested, we found that MySQL was never the bottleneck for A2 (as expected bad server performance had to do with the number of objects*). Michael did succeed in porting all the functions to extDB, i remember the default hiveext was slighty quicker but that would not be noticable ingame.
  2. Guess that is overkill and possibly the rocket car you previously referred to. Although i agree a little data on that wouldnt hurt.

* If not already done, you might want to The stuff that we were working on there eventually made it possible for us to host a highly populated server (25+ players) on high FPS (15+) all the time, including stuff like Wicked AI and a building limit of 1500 objects per player. The key was not letting the server handle the buildables that had no interaction (e.g. floor/walls/sandbags/stairs/etc.). If interested i'd be willing to share the final code so you can have a look, we have stopped running an A2 Epoch server cause the hacks were getting too bad.

Edit: Might as wel share all of our stuff to anyone interested, It's not like we are ever going to run another Epoch server and it might prove handy to others. Everything is there, which also includes a working Battle Royale mod for A2 Epoch (written from scratch).

Interesting stuff indeed.  Thanks.

The controllability of extDB at a server owner level far outweighs any slight speed reduction in my personal view.

Thanks for sharing the code.  I wont be running an A2 server as I am busy writing our new A3 total conversion.  The discussions like the one you linked to are very interesting from that point of view.

read this recently about Redis:

The drawback to using a more traditional data store behind Redis is that you are stuck with the performance of that store. You are trading performance to be able to trust that your data is persisted to disk.

Is this why we are seeing random items not save or disappear?  The assumption is its just not being written to the db.

Edit:  found the link i read it on.

https://muut.com/blog/technology/redis-as-primary-datastore-wtf.html

Interesting stuff indeed.  Thanks.

The controllability of extDB at a server owner level far outweighs any slight speed reduction in my personal view.

Thanks for sharing the code.  I wont be running an A2 server as I am busy writing our new A3 total conversion.  The discussions like the one you linked to are very interesting from that point of view.

Basically what you do is you seperate objects into server and client objects, and then send the objects with it's properties to the client as an array. The server ones are those that need to be monitored by the server (e.g. doors, lockboxes) and the other ones are usually static objects that don't really need server monitoring, cause nothing happens to them anyway (i did build in a removed objects check and parser that takes care off removed objects that server run, this could easily be adjusted to support destroyed stuff, i never bothered cause all the stuff was unbreakable at ours). It's better to spawn them client side since it asks for a lot less resources server side and does not have a negative impact on client fps. The splitting mainly happens in server_monitor.sqf and then the objects.sqf in the mission folder takes care of spawning and handling the objects.

@f3cuk
Inregards to Micheal rewrite for A2 Epoch.

Michael used DB_CUSTOM_V3 in his rewrite for A2 Epoch.

DB_CUSTOM_V5 has better performance as the procedure statements are cached, which will improve performance.

edit:
Basicly V3 the sql statements aren't cached, so are generated each time.
While with V5 the statements are cached after the first run, extDB only needs to send the updated values afterwards.

@f3cuk

Inregards to Micheal rewrite for A2 Epoch.

Michael used DB_CUSTOM_V3 in his rewrite for A2 Epoch.

DB_CUSTOM_V5 has better performance as the procedure statements are cached, which will improve performance.

edit:

Basicly V3 the sql statements aren't cached, so are generated each time.

While with V5 the statements are cached after the first run, extDB only needs to send the updated values afterwards.

Hey, you wrote ExtDB, correct?

Have you compared redis to using sql?  Honestly, from what I read in that blog Redis doesnt seem like a good idea for a game that is about a persistent experience.

Read this and tell me if Redis is a good idea for a MMO/Persistent gaming experiance.

https://muut.com/blo...astore-wtf.html

Interesting read and I have some more thoughts on this as I have been a devops guy for about 15 years and have spend allot of time with MySQL (and MsSQL for my sins) in very HA environments with 3TB+ of stored data.. Im going to spend some time and write more of a response but for someone who was asking about clearing out the traders and stuff in redis check this post out. Its dirty but works.

Redis also has console commands that can be used to clear out the database.

http://redis.io/commands

For example I needed to clear out my database for my second server using the same Redis instance only on DB1 vs DB0 for my first server.

I opened Redis manager / opened the console / typed in "Select 1" then FlushDB. and done. seems preeeeetty easy to me.  :rolleyes:

*this is just an example of what i did... trying to point out that its not "that" hard to manage the db. 

machine6fd,

If I am not mistaken that command flushes ALL the DB not just selective tables so be careful :-)

no sir,

FLUSHALL
Remove all keys from all databases
FLUSHDB
Remove all keys from the current database

<3  :)

Edit**
Wait i read what you replied wrong.... yes it will flush ALL the current db not ALL databases. but like i said i wanted to wipe my DB in that case. However I'm sure it is also possible to only remove selected content. just seems no one has tried/cares to share/ or is busy screaming "I WANT MY SQL"

How about this.

Write a query to find items in the database that are over the quantity of 150.  This way you can find hackers.  Oh and only have it look for specific items you input. (Rubies, Hotwire kits, etc its your choice) and also list the player + playerid that owns the safe.

How about executing one that repairs all vehicles?

How about this.

Write a query to find items in the database that are over the quantity of 150.  This way you can find hackers.  Oh and only have it look for specific items you input. (Rubies, Hotwire kits, etc its your choice).

How about executing one that repairs all vehicles?

what stops anyone from learning to do that?

Nothing.  You gave an example for one of the most simple tasks there is and make it seem like you mastered it.

Edit:

*this is just an example of what i did... trying to point out that its not "that" hard to manage the db. 

I don't call this 'managing'...

SQL is used by millions and we can talk for hours about performance comparisons.

My research shows that Redis is a BAD idea for persistence and you cannot easily find help.  Learning something 'new' isn't the problem.  

I'm not a DBA but understand most SQL queries as long as you aren't joining tables.

He just asked for something to compare a simply SQL query in REDIS. Not really anything arrogant about it.

I can FLUSH a database with redis as well. it's called deleting the dump.rdb file :D

My example was one i learned by reading/learning instead of posting on forums and bitching... i don't remember this being anyones mod but the devs and all of you telling them how to build it is just....idk arrogant maybe? They have stated a few times (on the forums) redis is what they want to use. I'm sure they have their own reasons... I do know the next thing i learn about it I wont be sharing with anyone who acts like this ^^. :)

I understand that it's there mod and they can create it how they want. But ultimately the mod is made for admins to put on their servers for players to enjoy, there's no harm in debating the pros and cons of choosing a Redis DB over a SQL one and some very constructive discussion has come from it so far.