I will back MySQL for Epoch !!

RHE24

Hello Epochers,

all my A3 Epoch Server works perfect and than? nothing !!!!

I have only issues with this shitty Redis Database.

From 1000 Peoples have 960 the same Problem with Redis.

Google it and what you find is: 

* Redis issue help please

* My Server Crashes with Redis

* and some other issues....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MySQL is the best Database for Gameserver,

you can save Webstats and other things on our Webseite.

and you can easy work with MySQL.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Redis is sh*t for Gameserver, what can we with Redis?..... hmmm^^

I will back my good MySQL <3

thats what i think from Redis :)

Epoch <3 please go back to MySQL :)

Can someone maybe make something to get Epoch working with SQL, I'm over this Redis shit. In my database right now I have 352 AI_ITEMS entries yet I only have 50 traders, also the traders are currently broken, the items they have are frozen and it's causing no more vehicles to spawn because they appear to have duplicated trader lists between traders. Killing them doesn't seem to clear it, buying all the items off them doesn't clear it, it's generally broken. I'm having to manually go through the database clearing them. If this was SQL I could open it with a proper tool and automate this process. After doing some reading I've noticed that Redis is completely useless in this application, it's a high IO database, designed for thousands of operations a second, Epoch doesn't need this, it needs to be easy for admins to administer and easy on maintenance. usability is more important in this instance than performance. There was a lot more transactions happening on A2 Epoch with 50 people playing than there is on A3 Epoch with 50 people playing and those servers handled the load fine. I honestly think some Epoch dev just decided they liked Redis and went with it rather than an actual needs analysis.

Can someone maybe make something to get Epoch working with SQL, I'm over this Redis shit. In my database right now I have 352 AI_ITEMS entries yet I only have 50 traders, also the traders are currently broken, the items they have are frozen and it's causing no more vehicles to spawn because they appear to have duplicated trader lists between traders. Killing them doesn't seem to clear it, buying all the items off them doesn't clear it, it's generally broken. I'm having to manually go through the database clearing them. If this was SQL I could open it with a proper tool and automate this process. After doing some reading I've noticed that Redis is completely useless in this application, it's a high IO database, designed for thousands of operations a second, Epoch doesn't need this, it needs to be easy for admins to administer and easy on maintenance. usability is more important in this instance than performance. There was a lot more transactions happening on A2 Epoch with 50 people playing than there is on A3 Epoch with 50 people playing and those servers handled the load fine. I honestly think some Epoch dev just decided they liked Redis and went with it rather than an actual needs analysis.

Do you not remember the bugs associated with MySQL in A2 Epoch?

I remember getting on servers and needing to wait 2-3 minutes for a trader window to open, or for it to timeout and leave me unable to purchase that category until I relogged.

And I remember hopping in a vehicle before the server was able to process the sell request and getting sent to a forever black hell where I couldn't be teleported out of.

Then there were also the times where I bought a vehicle and the server didn't have enough time to save it to the database so it just blew up when I got in it. (because of no charID yet)

I much rather have a new exotic database than to have to use MySQL again.

I remember getting on servers and needing to wait 2-3 minutes for a trader window to open, or for it to timeout and leave me unable to purchase that category until I relogged.

And I remember hopping in a vehicle before the server was able to process the sell request and getting sent to a forever black hell where I couldn't be teleported out of.

Then there were also the times where I bought a vehicle and the server didn't have enough time to save it to the database so it just blew up when I got in it. (because of no charID yet)

I dont know, But MySQL seemed safer. I know the lag was real. But redis is not the safe when it crashs? Cause its a string. While Mysql stores?

I do understand and agree with some of your statement.

However,

Look forward a bit when Epoch Mod is at lets say 0.7.5 and we have most of the crafting and tons more weapons and building pieces and well just more of everything! Well at that point there will be more of those pesky I/O's going on and well maybe just maybe Redis will then feel like the right fit for this game and MOD to you.

But right now I am happy to be on a DB mgr that stays running.

I will admit there was a bit of trouble in the beginning with it, but once you search and learn about it(especially the config file) you will understand the bigger picture and the benefits it will provide to server owners.

Just my 2 cents.

It might be faster, but all agree SQL way better choice, reliable, trusted, 

vehicles blow up? because MySQL what?????? I duno man! i never had these issues you are talking about, were you running windows XP or something lol?

I just think epoch could have used pen and paper and people would still brown nosed .... maybe Redis is faster, it certainly isn't exotic by any means! or more reliable!  mySQL is more trusted more stable, widely used and recognized. 

With Redis the whole database resides in RAM so it could be lost...you would get a lot of memory fragmentation issues writing and deleting large amount of data.. Redis works well with twitter and other low data holders... this is not say it wont work with epoch, but when you comparing it to SQL and mySQL forget it... only one winner here!

What bugs? I've run Epoch servers for about 14 months now and I never had those problems. I remember having an issue once where the traders were lagging up to a minute but it was because of an unrelated script and impacted almost all scroll wheel options. Even with 3400 items available at my traders and extra traders added in I never had a problem. It sounds to me like the server you were playing on wasn't setup very well or was on hardware not suited to run a server of that playerbase and configuration. When I started to notice any slowness in my server I addressed the issued, checked log files for possible bugs, spoke to my provider and paid an extra $5 a month to give it more CPU and RAM, I never saw any IOPS issues with the DB once I had it all setup right. SQL is far more manageable and for administrators running servers that's more important. If you're server isn't running well with SQL then you're hardware isn't up to scratch.

I have some Arma2 Epoch Server no lags!

Some Serverowner have to many Scripts on the Server, thats the issue not MySQL only some failed Scripts are the problem.

This Serverowner have no Programming Skills and have to much Scripts on this Servers.

I found the Scripts are the problen, not MySQL. :)

Exactly right, when I had my Overpoch server running it had issues at first, some of the Overwatch weapons and vehicles were bugged, but I tracked down exactly which ones they were and removed them, after that I was able to successfully load in 33 different scripts and it ran without issue. Redis is NOT the answer to server lag issues.

That was not a problem with MySQL though. That was a problem in the connection between mysql and the gameserver. MySQL works perfectly fine. Patch 1.0.4.2 had no problems with this but after the update to 1.0.5.2 etc the problems started happening with slow database loading.

redis rock, you can easily create webstats and website integration. stop whining and the take the opportunity to learn something new  

This is possible in mysql too..

I must agree..

I never had a problem with a2 epoch with mysql, it was quick and had multiple servers with population running on it.

I'd do like to see msql back because I haven't seen a way to run redis on a seperate server next to the game servers (could be me) but thats what we like just incase our windows server crashes out again.

If not so, I haven't had any complaints about redis yet!

yes im Programmer and Modder for MySQL and not Redis, sorry

I think both Redis and MySQL have upsides and downsides. But I figured this was the case when I saw this Redis flame post. I think MySQL is safer but Redis is faster. Arma 3 Epoch is going to have a TON more content then the Arma 2 version stock so Redis might be the smart move in the end.

But it doesn't need the speed, ffs, perhaps some actual analysis before jumping into a brand new database system which has about 1/10th the features.

Yep, we did. AWOL has been using it for years. What features do you need from a database engine beyond the fastest possible representation of the data you requested ?