BI speaks out on p2w and donation shops!

Axle

I think it is good. I mean, it is the most fair monetization so to speak that could possibly be. This is not pay to win. Pay to enter a server? Well, it is like paying to enter a movie in a cinema. I have no problem with it. Now I really hope these rules won't be expanded later to include actual p2w aspect, which is selling guns, krypto etc.

We have gone out of our way to respect BI's wishes when it came to p2w and donation perk server. They have finally come out with some official guidelines that we wish you all will follow. It's good to see that you can help try to cover the costs involved with providing a high end server for your community. Most of you are already doing the right thing so the application should be no trouble at all. We wish you happy hunting and all the loots in the world! GAME ON!

http://www.bistudio.com/monetization

It's clear that BIS are now allowing it to be monitized (providing rules are adhered to), but what about you folks at Epoch? Are you allowing monetization of your mod?

This one is interesting....

"Accepting donations is allowed, but to avoid any doubts: not providing donations must not prevent anyone from accessing the content."

So, you can gift donators anything as long as it's available in game, to everybody. Is that about right?

I would read that as donations must stay as just that, a donation. So, no reward for your donation, as in the current donator shops that are about. 

Surely, as soon as you put a condition on a donation it becomes a sale regardless of how you word it ? Then technically you should pay tax etc., on that sale ?

I would read that as donations must stay as just that, a donation. So, no reward for your donation, as in the current donator shops that are about. 

Surely, as soon as you put a condition on a donation it becomes a sale regardless of how you word it ? Then technically you should pay tax etc., on that sale ?

Then they need to reword that, because it doesn't read as you describe, to me.

The devs here, if they're short of funds, should really be looking at a P2P server that is constantly policed by trusted volunteers...that do not play on it. People would go crazy for a cheat/duper free server, and if costs were something like, for example £10/$10 for 50 clones, then you would also remove the worthlessness of your clones. Your lives would really mean something. 

3wOrPLq.png

"...on server with community content you also need approval for all content from every involved community content authors" -Dwarden 2015

At this time, I have made no approval of commercial use for my content, this has not changed since the project began.  There is no grandfathering in of this, if you're not on their approval list...then guess what?

Myself and the rest of the Epoch development team will be expecting messages from anyone who chooses to obtain our approval on this matter.

Seems not...

From Johny in the thread

Selling ingame Apache helicopter would be allowed if the Apache would have same gameplay effect as generally available helicopter. If it would be the same as selling red-paint Apache while leaving black-paint Apache accessible to all, then it is OK.

3wOrPLq.png

"...on server with community content you also need approval for all content from every involved community content authors" -Dwarden 2015

At this time, I have made no approval of commercial use for my content, this has not changed since the project began.  There is no grandfathering in of this, if you're not on their approval list...then guess what?

Myself and the rest of the Epoch development team will be expecting messages from anyone who chooses to obtain our approval on this matter.

So people can't sell your creations without your permission? That's fair enough in my book.

Although I can see some communities with coders on their team, rebuilding Epoch products so that they're their own creations, and then flogging them through their payed for perks store.

So people can't sell your creations without your permission? That's fair enough in my book.

Although I can see some communities with coders on their team, rebuilding Epoch products so that they're their own creations, and then flogging them through their payed for perks store.

It's not just the assets, any server running Epoch as a base would also be subject to this.

vMBLQOA.png

To retain the context of this entry, I said:

"To be clear, I have no intentions of monetizing my work in this regard, but I would like to reserve the right to prevent others to do so." - Sequisha

"You have every right to do so.
If you wish to contest the "approved status" then use the report button. Sometimes the infringements are so obvious, that we will be able to see ourselves that the person requesting approval is not acting in the best of the Arma community and we will not grant the approval. Most of the times it is not so obvious and that is where content creators such as yourself can use "report" to help us maintain the healthy community."

- Johny, Executive Producer

...and there you have it folks. Straight from the Executive Producer's fingers. This is a bright day in the future of Arma for everyone, let us all rejoice.

tiL3IzgQWiYG9JnViz96_Forehead%20Wipe.gif

Then they need to reword that, because it doesn't read as you describe, to me.

The devs here, if they're short of funds, should really be looking at a P2P server that is constantly policed by trusted volunteers...that do not play on it. People would go crazy for a cheat/duper free server, and if costs were something like, for example £10/$10 for 50 clones, then you would also remove the worthlessness of your clones. Your lives would really mean something. 

It would remove a problem... but having to pay for each respawn... well that would be the end of it for most players. I paid for Arma 3, and I'm glad Epoch is free... but if it becomes essentially a subscription... I would be long gone along with most of the players I think.

Then why do people still get to have signatures with game tracker information that sell your items via donation stores? I pmed the OP about this but he just ignored it despite the rules stating this.  Seems very laxidazial to give one message out here in the OP, then your message out later in the topic, yet doing nothing to stop actual people that are indeed advertising their servers via signatures, who sell in game items in their  store.

We will remove any post/signature related to advertising for a server that is selling in-game items.  More info

Is this being enforced or not?