Map Support Variety - Diluting the player concentration

FPSTrollywood

So I've noticed that, starting the time when the official server files were released, a massive number of servers started popping up. I know some people like to play on private hives and whatnot but I really don't see the fun in that. I've also noticed that, as map support was released for Chernarus and now Bornholm, a little less than half of the players went off to play other maps. The pending release of other maps, while it sounds cool and all, seems to me to bring about a potential problem. I just don't think there are enough people who consistently play this mod to have them all spreading out to different maps and whatnot. There are tons of servers that people have started up that do nothing but sit there, mostly empty. With well established games/mods, I can see how that really doesn't pose a problem... but with a game where there are only about a dozen servers or less that average over 50 players... it seems to me that adding more and more options will only spread them out more. For a player like myself who enjoys high population servers and loads of competition, if the number of players goes below a certain point, the game becomes much less enjoyable. I guess I'm really just hoping the developers don't open up so many maps for the game that they spread people out too much and make the mod lose popularity in the long run. So, while I am interested in trying out the new maps, due to the relatively low number of players that will be using alternate maps, it looks like I will be sticking with Altis for the foreseeable future. Your thoughts?

Of course Altis servers were affected with the release of Chernarus, but I don't believe it has a bearing on the low numbers playing.

The high amount of dreamers opening up their own servers, are what's causing the dilution. There really is, at times, more servers than people playing.

As for the ported maps, I don't like the look of them anymore. A3 maps have a much more appealing texture, which looks almost real at high settings.

What should have been done before this porting, was the improvement of Stratis. That map is bare, and is crying out for more features. Even Altis could've been cut in half, giving us tiny Stratis, medium Altis, and massive Altis.

I even imagined someone would combine bits of both maps with the addition of a Tavianna type bridge.

The game is still in an infant state, only the hardcore players have stuck around to learn the new game. Also all A2E admins are excited about A3E and wanted their own server. So of course there are too many servers to play on, but half of these servers running will be gone by summer. Like us on SHG, we have been around for a year now with Arma 2 Epoch and get 10-20 new players daily, but the same time we have old players moving on to other games.

Point being it doesn't matter how man maps we have, it's total server count. Once half of these server shut down, the rest of ours will gain population. Also I agree to what Vampire is saying, once there is more to do in Epoch then build a base.... more players will come.

Shit like the scope sway, bullets not killing, vehicles flipping and blowing a tyre when you run over an ant, are all factors why some folk stopped playing.

Never forget Arma is (or should be)  a Military Sim (still wonder why the heck Soldiers can´t climb over a wall in a Military sim). Epoch is just a Mod that attempts to bring some new taste into the game and has to deal with the limmitation the Arma engine has.

As I've said before, running a server is a marathon, not a sprint.  Those who don't have the endurance to stay in a long-term race will eventually drop out.  I think the push among the community to get more maps going is two-fold.  I think firstly it's a sense of nostalgia.  People remember the fun experiences had on other maps, such as Tavi and Namalsk, and want to bring those same experiences and feelings to Arma 3 with the better graphics and more advanced engine.  Secondly, I think people are searching for "the next big thing" that will help bring traffic to their servers.  But as Vampire mentioned, it seems that the overall Epoch community doesn't have the player base right now that A2 Epoch did mainly because there isn't much to really do at this point.  I remember A2 Epoch having several hundred servers and there being close to a hundred of those that were nearly full of players.  

I personally haven't seen any hard numbers, but how many A2 Epoch players have even bought Arma 3?  I'd say the number is lower than you'd think, despite all the Steam sales late last year.  In any case, all of these "problems" will eventually take care of themselves.  The folks who run servers who don't have the funds or the skills to keep it going will fade away and the player base will gradually return as more people get Arma 3 when the price comes down and there is more for players to do in Epoch.  At some stage we will likely see a tipping point where the servers who can stay in the race experience a huge spike in traffic, which will likely cause yet another wave of servers to die out, as smaller community server owners can't handle the load of keeping up with the demands of a high traffic server, thereby furthering the win for remaining server owners.  

All that being said, the server files are out in the wild and server owners will do what server owners will do.  Nobody can force them to shut down or do things a certain way or not make their own "innovations".  As I see it, the "cure" for the "problem" is simply, time.  

Servers are like assholes. Everybody's got one.

Yeah, lol. Cool if you code and bring something new to the table, but sadly many of the super funky server owners do it for the power of the admin tools.

I'd fecking love to be able to spec people, mind you, it's something I've longed wanted to do, but I'll never volunteer to be an admin. Fuck that! I've played with guys on MGT that gained admin status, and then it was "au revoir, gaming buddy". They get no peace to play themselves, certainly not on popular servers.

Sad, but I think it true..... If all the antagonists were zombies, there would be several fold players playing right now. Any of you server owners know how to create stuff and want a rammed server, then create your zombies and slap them in the game.

Sad, but I think it true..... If all the antagonists were zombies, there would be several fold players playing right now. Any of you server owners know how to create stuff and want a rammed server, then create your zombies and slap them in the game.

I also believe that if A3 Epoch had the traditional zombies, then there would be more people playing. We all have to remember, though, that this is an alpha mod being played in a beta game. The devs apparently have more content coming, as I remember Axle posting that A3 Epoch was at 25% content as of the current version. I can't wait to see what the other 75% is.

I also believe that if A3 Epoch had the traditional zombies, then there would be more people playing. We all have to remember, though, that this is an alpha mod being played in a beta game. The devs apparently have more content coming, as I remember Axle posting that A3 Epoch was at 25% content as of the current version. I can't wait to see what the other 75% is.

When that God forsaken fucking ball and chain  competition is over, we may just see the devs do things they want instead of things (or the omission of) that might win them the competition. 

And as for no zombies, I believe that twat Rocket is responsible for the lack of zombie mods in Arma3. I hate that bastard with a passion.

Zombies in Arma 2 Epoch were mor on an annoyance then a threat. Plus when entering a town they would ruin the surprise of players being near by. I think the new antagonist have solo much more potential. The lone fact of the variety of them is the best part already. Sappers and hooded guys are cool and exciting. I find one Sapper unnoticed far more dangerous then 10 arma2 zombies. The drones solve the issue of roaming AI from Arma2, by giving you a bit of a warning.

Now at 30% completion we are getting 3 more kinds of antagonist..... including a giant rock monster?!?! I'm sorry but this is waaaaay more exciting then Arma2!!! I hope the rock monster can throw bolders at circling choppers, that would be awesome!!!

Slaughterhouse Gaming will be patient and around for a LONG time! :)