Noob looking for some help ...

Infinity

Question

Howdy

I've set up a local A3 Epoch server and I'd like to set it up so I can test-play the game with a couple of friends. This is my first attempt at this so if someone (with a lot of patience :wub: ) could help me.. that would be great!

The server ran fine locally, but now that I've assigned an IP-address other than 127.0.0.1 to it; I get the message 'Cannot start host on port 2302'.

The port works now .. but the server won't show up in my list...

1: How do I determine the IP-address for my locally run server? (On E: drive)

2: How exactly do I setup portforwarding in my Cisco router?   (https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Dedicated_Server#Port_Forwarding)

I've set it up like this now (http://imgur.com/qOfoC5L).. but it still gives the same error (cannot start host on port 2302)

I'm a total noob at this .. and I have a few more questions .. if there's someone out there who's willing to guide me through this, through PM/Skype/TS or something.. I'd highly appreciate it! :wub:

Run ipconfig from a cmd prompt. It will tell your local IP address

Link the Cisco type of your router; but usually you will be looking for NAT , Application or Port Forwarding... You have to create a few rules, where you forward the ports (UDP) to that local IP your server is running on.

If you are confortable letting a skilled guy do it for you, read this :

Run ipconfig from a cmd prompt. It will tell your local IP address

Link the Cisco type of your router; but usually you will be looking for NAT , Application or Port Forwarding... You have to create a few rules, where you forward the ports (UDP) to that local IP your server is running on.

If you are confortable letting a skilled guy do it for you, read this :

Yeah I got the IP setup now, and it starts up fine now but the thing is; I can't find the server in my multiplayer list nor on my LAN in Arma 3

mp list means opening ports so the browser can find you.. if you host on post 2302, you need to open UDP 2300 and 2301 to your server from the router to get the lobby calls in and showing your server.

Inside lan, you go play, multiplay, remote and type in local IP of server and port.

mp list means opening ports so the browser can find you.. if you host on post 2302, you need to open UDP 2300 and 2301 to your server from the router to get the lobby calls in and showing your server.

Inside lan, you go play, multiplay, remote and type in local IP of server and port.

I opened those ports in my router but it didn't work, it still doesn't show the server in the mp list.

0:02:51 Dedicated host created.

0:02:55 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.198)

0:02:55 Host identity created.

0:02:56 Game Port: 2302, Steam Query Port: 2303

All seems fine ...

Well nothing is showing up ... so yeah

@echo off
start "arma3" "E:\A3EpochServer\arma3server.exe"  -mod=@Epoch0252;@EpochHive; -config=E:\A3EpochServer\SC\config.cfg -ip=192.XXX.X.XXX -port=2302 -profiles=SC -cfg=E:\A3EpochServer\SC\basic.cfg -name=SC  -malloc=system

start your server using:

@echo off
start "arma3" "E:\A3EpochServer\arma3server.exe"  -mod=@Epoch0252;@EpochHive; -config=E:\A3EpochServer\SC\config.cfg  -port=2302 -profiles=SC -cfg=E:\A3EpochServer\SC\basic.cfg -name=SC  -malloc=system

Notice no ip.  It will default to 127.0.0.1   Give your friends the ip the link gave you that is the external ip that can be seen on the outside of your lan. 

Guys, seriously.

127.0.0.1 isn't routed; if you run your server on that IP , it will never ever communicate with the outside world.

As I said before : If you run a server locally to yourself (from home) you need your internal network IP there. If you rent a server you must ask the hoster for the settings.

Your server has no problem talking to redis over 127.0.0.1 since it's the same physical machine, but if you want outside connections you need a routable IP.

Guys, seriously.

127.0.0.1 isn't routed; if you run your server on that IP , it will never ever communicate with the outside world.

As I said before : If you run a server locally to yourself (from home) you need your internal network IP there. If you rent a server you must ask the hoster for the settings.

Your server has no problem talking to redis over 127.0.0.1 since it's the same physical machine, but if you want outside connections you need a routable IP.

I use 127.0.0.1 for my local server and everybody can connect to it with my outside ip address. In fact my dedi uses 127.0.0.1 and no problem accessing them either.

Then Arma must do some weird things :)

I guess you can't do a netstat -an in a rented server to check ...

If you have a listener only on 127.0.0.1 (localhost) you won't get traffic; but if Arma server decides to also use the NIC address if 127.0.0.1 is used I was wrong :/

Your router listens to outside traffic and checks to see if there is a server running on the port requested then it will route it to the pc (internal ip of the pc running the server) if it sees that port is open it will connect to the internal ip or and local server running on that port. The same way redis is using 127.0.0.1 port 6379 on my dedi. I connect from my pc to the dedi using redis manager using my external dedi ip and port of redis server (6379) even though the redis server is running on 127.0.0.1

^^ this.. If you put 127.0.0.1 there you're still screwed..

I'm a network engineer, but I guess a lot of admins aren't :)

127.0.0.1 (or localhost) is a loopback adapter, virtual, that initializes IP for a computer. The "network" it sits on is NOT routed..

The *only* way to talk *outside*  your computer is using the normal network address; as above posts show, arma *might* convert 127.0.0.1 to your local IP, but I never trust that, since (again) 127.0.0.1 is *never* routed outside the machine itself.

As you showed above you are hosting from home, so you *must* pay attention to the IP's you use.

Locally, Arma and Redis can happily chat to each other on 127.0.0.1 since it's the same machine. But if your router routes all traffic to 127.0.0.1 it routes the traffic to itself !!!!!

^^ this.. If you put 127.0.0.1 there you're still screwed..

I'm a network engineer, but I guess a lot of admins aren't :)

127.0.0.1 (or localhost) is a loopback adapter, virtual, that initializes IP for a computer. The "network" it sits on is NOT routed..

The *only* way to talk *outside*  your computer is using the normal network address; as above posts show, arma *might* convert 127.0.0.1 to your local IP, but I never trust that, since (again) 127.0.0.1 is *never* routed outside the machine itself.

As you showed above you are hosting from home, so you *must* pay attention to the IP's you use.

Locally, Arma and Redis can happily chat to each other on 127.0.0.1 since it's the same machine. But if your router routes all traffic to 127.0.0.1 it routes the traffic to itself !!!!!

Ok, so where do I go from here? I use my internal IP (IPv4-address) in the server files, and then open up the ports for that IP?

What I have atm:

EpochServer.ini:

[Redis]
IP = 127.0.0.1
Port = 6379
DB = 0
Password = client321

Config.cfg:

# Set the ip to your server. normally 127.0.0.1 will be fine.
Ip = 127.0.0.1

# Set the port to the server. default port is 2302
Port = 2302

redis.conf:

bind 127.0.0.1
maxmemory 2gb
save 900 1
save 300 10
save 60 1000
requirepass client321

A3Epoch.bat

@echo off
start "arma3" "E:\A3EpochServer\arma3server.exe"  -mod=@Epoch0252;@EpochHive; -config=E:\A3EpochServer\SC\config.cfg -port=2302 -profiles=SC -cfg=E:\A3EpochServer\SC\basic.cfg -name=SC  -malloc=system

What do I need to change? Is there anywhere else I need to define the IP? Besides opening the ports in the router, what else could cause the ports not to appear open and what should I do to solve that?

The Windows firewall is disabled, and I have added Arma3 + Arma3server.exe thingie in the exceptions (from my E drive) but I didn't see anything where I could add ports in the firewall and I also have a anti-virus scanner (ESET Smart security) but I disabled that before as well and it didn't made the server show up.