EPOCH ?

JohnyMST

I was just thinking for a long time about the Arma 3 EPOCH and was not able to understand something...

I played a lot and I like the idea just 1 thing that I still don't have the answer to...

What is the fiction story behind A3 Epoch?

In Arma 2 Epoch we had DayZ story where Zombies were the enemies and players tried to survive vs the apocalypse... which had a theme.
In Arma 3, what happened to the humanity, earth, nature?  Where did the creatures come from? What is the background of that?

I think the zombie / apocalypse brought a lot of flavor to the gameplay because players were aware of what the story is they are playing...

Now I am running around on the lovely map, have the ability to build nice stuff and other great things but the question comes into mind: "WHY?"
Why creatures without hands explode like a frag and some priests stand there like faggots? Or why the huge rock creature looking like Goedude with legs?

Why not just ZOMBIES and the old apocalypse? Is there a story behind you and DayZ creators not allowing you to use the zombies theme for copyright issues or because it would affect Standalone Sales?

There has to be a strong reason why you left out the zombies and brought those creators that have no real background.

Don't get me wrong, A3 EPOCH is a great but the AIs need serious rethinking - to make the gameplay better that is...

DayZ stands for Day Zero. It is the day the outbreak that turned all of the local populace into infected occured. They aren't actually zombies which is why they glow under thermal.

EPOCH storyline for Arma 2 was that time has passed since the original outbreak and society is trying to rebuild. Trader outposts were set up, and the world has gone back to old times bargaining. A truck for a bumch of ammo, etc.

The Epoch storyline for Arma 3 is that it's two years after an apocalypse wiped out 2/3rds of the worlds population. You were one of the lucky or unlucky survivors.

I think a Total Recall theme fits perfectly. It would explain and justify the ridiculous antagonists that we have already and the ones yet to come. I t explains the clone system too.

Picture the scene....

You're rich beyond belief, you've traveled to every corner of the Earth, and now you want something new to experience. 

It's the future, soulless clones are a reality, but they don't have an intelligence, they need controlling remotely, a bit like in the film Avatar.

There's a tourism company that offers virtual clone experiences in whatever setting you choose. You pay your money to enter this world of fantasy, you feel it, see it and live it through your clone, but your brain/conscience is never at risk, just your clones, and they're expensive.

This scenario opens up the opportunity to introduce as many weird and wonderful antagonists the devs want, and allow the server owners choose which ones to have on his/her server.

In Arma 3, what happened to the humanity, earth, nature?  Where did the creatures come from? What is the background of that?

The cultists are a stealth garment with AI that was acting against it's programming and was wandering around the world until it got struck by lightning. Then a group of monks found the garment and reprogrammed it and started reproducing them... apparently they "got it wrong" and the garment became the cultist...

That's no joke, that's the actual story behind the cultist. I must say that even though Epoch guys are great at making a sandbox mod, they're HORRIBLE at coming up with an interesting background story. :D:D 

I agree with this post, I am also lost to what the story is about, epoch devs made their big break with the building system, crafting, and traders worked great, they built it on an already established survival game with a dark drama twist dayz the zombies that is....

Now the A2 is thing of the past, and if it is true they could no longer use zombies fair enough,  or if it was by choice which in my opinion is a a good call if this was the case, i guess people would complain zombies again! why not be original and try something new! however I just don't understand what the theme is, so we have :

* suicide bomber.

* The faceless shadow monk (creepy) he is my personal favorite if i had to choose.Cultist.

* talks about a giant rock????

*drone and AI killing players

whats the link? whats the theme? it talks about it being futuristic, giant rock walking is an ancient meth nothing about that screams futuristic ... energy is generated and you need it to build but where is that energy kept how is it charged? are players robots ? cloned robot??  if so its no longer survival game! its machines at war with each other, robots dont need to build themselves houses, why am i building a house? 

I would love the epoch team to take the Cultist as a theme, be more creative with that, instead of giant rock, create some more evil spirited souls, demons, satanic introduce night sound effects, events that triggers certain demonic creators to spawn,

Where A2 was surviving zombies, A3 epoch can be ....... 

Can Satan or his demons repent and be saved ?? or maybe something else .... you get what i am trying to say,

Here are some candidate Antagonists:

Click here for images

instead of spawning in clone center, spawn players in some satanic worship underground hidden out of the way , it could be a cave ! Bones, skulls, and satanic symbols everywhere. The aim of the game is to escape when you spawn and survive the harsh world that is left behind 2 years after the great zombie infection... 

Are you gonna play evil, kill other survivors or save whats left of humanity and become a hero and help others .....???

if any of you Devs out there interested in my ideas, i think now is time, you say it's 25% done so now or never, AI missions are not important the community is very much capable of creating all sorts of AI missions, this forum has enough evidence of that...

Contact me if my ideas is of interest and i am sure we can draw lot more scenarios of this kind and have some more ideas to discuss, i don't charge much either so its all good.... no seriously its free for the sake of making it the best thing ever, you are obviously a very technically talented team, all you need is some theme Dark theme , like above it SELLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PM me for more cool ideas! :-)

ps: I thought about making this a new thread, i thought long and hard but for the sake of this forum i decided this was a good place my last shout, if this does not inspire you to change it up a little nothing will!!! I will still play epoch though!

I agree people would complain that "zombies again" but at least it all linked up together.

what TheVampire said didn't make sense: "The Epoch storyline for Arma 3 is that it's two years after an apocalypse wiped out 2/3rds of the worlds population. You were one of the lucky or unlucky survivors."

So 2 years after the ZOMBIE apocalypse all of those weird creatures starting to appear in the world?

I'm not against new AIs but I am against forcing them into the world without any link.

It's like having Pokemons in Dragon Ball series. They don't belong there and are completely different things.

Really the main focus on my topic is the bold text in my first post:
Is there a story behind you and DayZ creators not allowing you to use the zombies theme for copyright issues or because it would affect Standalone Sales?

This is bugging me a lot and I have a feeling that it's something to do with Bohemia other than your choices ;)