Hypothetical Scenario: Your legs are broken. What do you do?

Face

Before I begin, I have to put it out there that I'm in no way making a complaint post. It's more idle chatter than anything.

In playtesting A3EAI and fighting off AI, I've had several situations where I'm unlucky enough to get shot in the legs and have them broken. I may have come out from the gunfight victorious, but the last laugh is on me when I'm forced into a perma-slow walk in the middle of nowhere, with no First Aid Kit to patch me up or a handy Sudoku Grenade to put my character out of its misery. If this was A2 DayZ, I could just press Esc and press Respawn to flop over and start again.

But for me, this is not a huge deal since I do my testing on my own PC-hosted server and I can just delete my character or add a F.A.K. and hop back into the game. For those of you playing on "real" servers, what do you do in the same situation? Have I missed out on a solution that should have been obvious?

1. Carry 2 wood logs in your backpack. In case of broken leg, build fire and climb on top of it. (may require a bit of energy, don't remember right offhand)
  2. Find tall building to throw yourself off of
  3. Find building and try to glitch into it and kill yourself that way
  4. If there's nearby water, climb into it and try drowning yourself (note, drop gear off at edge of water so you can spawn-run back to get it)
  5. Find rocks, glitch into/off of the rocks to die
  6. Hop on server TeamSpeak/in-game side-chat and ask for an admin and see if they can remote kill you
  7. Ask in side-chat to see if anyone would be willing to pick you up for payment/trade once you're patched up

Couple options to consider... 

What Scandalous said..

Pretty well one of those options is best in that situation.

Of course if you are near a trader I'd consider seeing if it had a med kit for sale firstly.

I wonder if you can still speed crawl with a broken leg.. Don't recall ever trying that instead of the slow limp-walk.

@machine6fd and @DrScandalous: Those are all pretty useful hints, I particularly like the die-in-a-fire option as that would be useful if one was stuck in an open plain with no buildings in sight. I keep forgetting that fires have proximity damage.

A game mechanic which regularly leaves suicide as the only viable / desirable option is just plain broken.

While aiming for someone's legs is an interesting tactical option, the condition doesn't add anything outside of combat.

I'd much prefer a solution like craft-able splints or even automatic removal of the condition after a few minutes of resting / sitting down.

Before anyone screams "easy mode" - there hardly is anything less "hardcore" than meta-gaming it through intentional respawn.

That said, the mod has more pressing fields of development, such as providing any motivation to play apart from occasional PVP, pressing "I" in the vicinity of trash piles for hours & building raid targets for other bored players. Hopefully the broken leg issue will simply get some attention along the way.

Survival mod. "Try to survive, build, or explore your way through the harsh dynamic environment."

And here you are killing yourselves and complaining about broken legs. You guy´s are funny. Maybe look for something more easy arcade mode then a survival mod built on a military sim platform.

Survival mod. "Try to survive, build, or explore your way through the harsh dynamic environment."

And here you are killing yourselves and complaining about broken legs. You guy´s are funny. Maybe look for something more easy arcade mode then a survival mod built on a military sim platform.

Does it look like anyone is complaining? Other than you, of course. I just see other people sharing their experiences and offering advice.

If you must know, the reason I ask is because when I'm playtesting A3EAI (the AI addon I'm developing), I'm constantly traveling from place to place mostly on foot and encountering AI as I travel. To simulate real player experiences, I use no admin tools of any sort, just unmodified A3 Epoch and the AI addon, so each playthrough takes a great deal of time. When I get shot by AI and get stuck in the middle of nowhere, it's a real waste of time for me development-wise since I'm not doing anything useful. I'm not trying to "survive", I'm trying to "develop".

And I'm asking for other people's experiences because they've played on real servers and are probably playing the game in a way that is closer to the way the devs intended to be played, than I am. I haven't seen a single post made about being stuck with broken bones on the forums so I'm assuming everyone knows what to do and I'm the one that knows nothing .

Anyone else feel that this gentleman should lead a practical examination of the topic at hand? ;-)

A game mechanic which regularly leaves suicide as the only viable / desirable option is just plain broken.

While aiming for someone's legs is an interesting tactical option, the condition doesn't add anything outside of combat.

I'd much prefer a solution like craft-able splints or even automatic removal of the condition after a few minutes of resting / sitting down.

Before anyone screams "easy mode" - there hardly is anything less "hardcore" than meta-gaming it through intentional respawn.

That said, the mod has more pressing fields of development, such as providing any motivation to play apart from occasional PVP, pressing "I" in the vicinity of trash piles for hours & building raid targets for other bored players. Hopefully the broken leg issue will simply get some attention along the way.

Does it look like anyone is complaining? Other than you, of course. I just see other people sharing their experiences and offering advice.

If you must know, the reason I ask is because when I'm playtesting A3EAI (the AI addon I'm developing), I'm constantly traveling from place to place mostly on foot and encountering AI as I travel. To simulate real player experiences, I use no admin tools of any sort, just unmodified A3 Epoch and the AI addon, so each playthrough takes a great deal of time. When I get shot by AI and get stuck in the middle of nowhere, it's a real waste of time for me development-wise since I'm not doing anything useful. I'm not trying to "survive", I'm trying to "develop".

And I'm asking for other people's experiences because they've played on real servers and are probably playing the game in a way that is closer to the way the devs intended to be played, than I am. I haven't seen a single post made about being stuck with broken bones on the forums so I'm assuming everyone knows what to do and I'm the one that knows nothing .

Look on the quote above.

Edit: If a lot of players chose to kill themselves/respawn because of a broken leg then they are looking for a easy mode survival and not a harsh survival experience.

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: Should have a Servermode that bans you on death. That would be pure survival. One try - one die

At least one life per servercycle : ) Both would be a bit rough though.

1 life per server cycle would actually be an interesting idea. Kind of sucks for lone wolves though because you might kill one in a group of 3-4 but you'd be fucked thereafter

Fly helicopter, server decides to restart 10 min before scheduled restart, join after restart, my chopper is crashed and see myself with broken legs. Lucky for me I was 1km away from my base with 15 medkits in it. So I just enjoyed the view and walked.

But yeah being stuck in the middle of nowhere is pain in the ass. That's why I always carry at least one medkit and do not use it unless my character is 0.5xxxx damaged.

This is not about complaining. It also isn't about anyone's masochistic fantasies about what survival should mean in a game. Epoch is survival light, the mod's focus is on other things (say, base building, looting, shooting AI and other players in the face). Above all, it's a game and as such its mechanics should be judged accordingly. The current implementation of broken legs syndrome is a harsh punishment. Worse (more time consuming and frustrating) than death perhaps. However, in many cases the punished player could not have done anything to avoid the punishment - he may even have played extremely well (therefore surviving long enough to worry about broken legs). That's simply bad design and it should be imroved. (Carrying medkits does obviously help, but people will often find themselves in a leg endangering situation well before they could have realistically found or bought one.)

• 4 weeks later...