How to get server online behind Isp restriction?

tasman

Question

11 answers to this question

You would need to hire, ideally, a dedicated server. There are also plenty of people who host gaming servers already setup for you, check out some of our supporters here: http://epochmod.com.

Check the Ts and Cs from your provider, if you are just setting one up for testing and to play with a couple of friends, so long as you don't advertise the server publicly that is quite often ok.

My provider says no public http servers, yet I host one to show my clients during testing / building of websites. Not had a complaint yet. I wouldn't consider for a minute hosting a live website as the reliability is just not there. The thought of a clients website being reliant on my 5 year old not pulling a plug from the wall would give me sleepless nights :)

If you want to run a full on server with more than a couple of players your home broadband is unlikely to be good enough anyway, your upload speeds need to be very beefy for an Arma server.

You would need to hire, ideally, a dedicated server. There are also plenty of people who host gaming servers already setup for you, check out some of our supporters here: http://epochmod.com.

Check the Ts and Cs from your provider, if you are just setting one up for testing and to play with a couple of friends, so long as you don't advertise the server publicly that is quite often ok.

My provider says no public http servers, yet I host one to show my clients during testing / building of websites. Not had a complaint yet. I wouldn't consider for a minute hosting a live website as the reliability is just not there. The thought of a clients website being reliant on my 5 year old not pulling a plug from the wall would give me sleepless nights :)

If you want to run a full on server with more than a couple of players your home broadband is unlikely to be good enough anyway, your upload speeds need to be very beefy for an Arma server.

Thanks for the response.

I dont know if my upload is good enough, i got about 80mbit/s.

The purpose of the server would be to play with friends and a few random people therefore i would like it to appear in the dayz commander.(max 20 people)

Thanks for the response.

I dont know if my upload is good enough, i got about 80mbit/s.

The purpose of the server would be to play with friends and a few random people therefore i would like it to appear in the dayz commander.(max 20 people)

Good luck getting a server to appear in Dayz Commander. You're better off with Dayz Launcher or Survival Launcher. Anyway, I'd recommend you just rent a server from a GSP. It'll save you time and effort.

Good luck getting a server to appear in Dayz Commander. You're better off with Dayz Launcher or Survival Launcher. Anyway, I'd recommend you just rent a server from a GSP. It'll save you time and effort.

Yeah i just found out that my isp has changed his restrictions recently so i can host from my home now but indeed it does not appear in the DayZ commander

but it does appear on this site http://arma2.swec.se/server/list and i can connect thru the ingame server browser and the remote.

Is it possible to get my server listed in the Dayz commander or Dayz launcher?

Q6600 is a nice CPU (I am using it for my home server), but it is not enough for a serious Arma server, unless you are ok with sub 40 slots and probably no AI. However OC it if you can, anything over 3Ghz will result in very nice server (assuming it's a stable OC).

Buckets of RAM won't be much help, but never hurts... just like size of HDD - the more the merrier, but not needed.

One more thing to note is traffic requirements, arma server can eat up 1-2 TB of monthly data easily on a 40-50 slot server. On top of that you'll need to ask your ISP for a static IP, which usually costs and for majority of cases means only one thing - running a server.

Best solution is definitely dedicated server, search forums and shop around, they are not as expensive as they used to be. I would avoid VPS personally as they use shared resources with other people (and they are not really that much cheaper). There are plenty topics on the subject on these forums.

I'd also stay away from game hosters, unless you are new servers. They are more expensive (and shares resources) solutions than dedicated servers, but if you are comfy around PCs, learning curve isn't that big, more satisfying and you could end up hosting multiple servers on single machine for the price of one.