New particle effects are meh

Gimmic

So honestly, I'm not impressed with the recently added particle effects. 

Being in an area where it spawns is annoying as I constantly have the effect nearby but not in the distance. 

Running through the woods and seeing it is annoying. For some reason all I can think of are farts.

Please make this a client side or server side option. I'd rather just disable them entirely. 

This is part of the Eaglewing Effect and I wasn't happy to hear it was being added but I figured I would wait to see how it goes first.

I don't think this is the best option for atmosphere additions.  There are other weather addons out there that are more dynamic and would fit in better.

And strangely, I don't mind it... gives a sorta desolate feeling... though admittedly, it would probably suit takistan or other similar desert theme..

But still I like it, though a ground fog during the night and then that during the day would be kinda ideal for my tastes

I always wanted it added myself.. and mostly it's great to feel/hear the wind in your hair...have had to odd farty effect when running in woods that does I admit look cheap...personally I'd like to turn up the wind and make the map look MORE windswept and forlorn:)...but maybe someone can look at the occassional fart:)

It gives me the impression of winter time with your breath when you exhale at times. Then, at other times, it makes me think I am walking in a very dry, drought ridden wasteland since it seems to puff with each step.

as long as it doesn't give my position away if I am "hunting", I could care less...

The people with fps issues need tp upgrade their rigs. I dont have any fps issues with 2.5 patch.

Thats the dumbest thing I've heard this week. Not everyone is in a position to go out and buy new hardware to accommodate such a pointless addition. Some people are running it on Laptops

For the record Im running ARMA on a Win7 BootCamp partition of a $4,000 MacBook Pro Retina connected to a 27" high res Dell monitor. The machine will beast computational math and compilation, has a dedicated 1GB 650 graphics card and easily runs DayZ, but the particle effects really seem to kill it.

While I am in the process of speccing a new workstation build it certainly won't be for pointless fluffy white clouds at ground level.

That's why I like it.

On 10/31/2013 at 3:15 PM, bigAPE said:

Thats the dumbest thing I've heard this week. Not everyone is in a position to go out and buy new hardware to accommodate such a pointless addition. Some people are running it on Laptops

For the record Im running ARMA on a Win7 BootCamp partition of a $4,000 MacBook Pro Retina connected to a 27" high res Dell monitor. The machine will beast computational math and compilation, has a dedicated 1GB 650 graphics card and easily runs DayZ, but the particle effects really seem to kill it.

While I am in the process of speccing a new workstation build it certainly won't be for pointless fluffy white clouds at ground level.

Gaming on a mac is the issue.

Never been an issue before and that laptop will give the majority of Windows desktops a run. Plus technically its just running on the hardware in a Win7 partition.

Perhaps its a driver issue.

If it's the particle effects it could be. But you are going to run into random problems every time trying to bootcamp and game. The laptop was not designed to do that in the first place.

But you are going to run into random problems every time trying to bootcamp and game. The laptop was not designed to do that in the first place.

At the end of the day its just hardware with an OS over the top. The machine is staggering for a work laptop, it's a portable compute workhorse, but your right it's not designed for gaming.

All that said, the new effects really serve no purpose (unless I'm missing something) and to be honest just look silly.

Depending on how many of these dust clouds cross my screen, the fps drop for me is about 5-10.

Which to me, seems a lot. And no, not everyone has money for a high end system.

If there would be an epoch developer who wouldn't mind sharing if it's possible to remove these dust effects, and how, i wouldn't mind so much.

WTF! Where did you get that picture of my computer????  LOL...not.

But seriously....farts..yes does look like farts....

Useful...NO not in Chernarus....Falujah, Takistan, any Middle Eastern Shantymap yes.....Russia inland woodland NO...

We are not in the desert here....we are in Chernarus which is hardly as dusty as it shows now....including when a helo takes off....way too much dustclouds and this is especially while it is raining when dust would not be thrown around like it would if I was standing in middle of the Sahara Desert or taking off in the Sahara.  Now when we had our occassional rains in Saudi and we had helo take offs...yes, I could still see the huge amounts of dust/sand...but its a desert...and the rainfall was so little it would not matter since the ground would suck that up so fast it would make your head spin.

Morning Folks...

Had to share this one tidbit I just found out about the particles this morning while I was logged in doing some airport maintenance work - first time I had a nice clear (well almost clear) night sky...with the few clouds meandering easterly and I started to notice something odd....very odd....the fartballs...cant really call them dustballs...were going in almost the opposite direction of the clouds....so I paid attention to this for awhile...while I was bagging sandbag barriers around the airport....and sure enough...the dustfarts are heading almost 180 degrees in the wrong direction....talk about immersion failure!