[POLL] Epoch & CBA

Darth_Rogue

Epoch & CBA  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should Epoch support/allow the use of CBA?

• Absolutely! Let the community run whatever addons they want and help Epoch evolve.
    • No way! Using too many different addons makes it confusing for players.

I am well aware that Epoch is still in the VERY early Alpha stage.  Even at this point in development the dev team has done an amazing job on the mod, and I for one can't wait to see what the future holds.  This is truly a very exciting time and I feel privileged and honored to be a part of the best gaming community around.  All you guys and girls are amazing with helping one another and sharing knowledge.  I've learned so much since I've been working with you, and for that I thank you!

As awesome as the devs are, without this community's interest and participation Epoch couldn't make it to the level that it currently enjoys.  We are tinkerers and modders.....all of us passionate with an intense love for what we do for our respective communities.  Without that passion we simply wouldn't be here.  We server owners and admins know all too well the sleepless nights and thankless days of pouring over log files checking for errors or cheaters.....playing with this and that setting trying to squeeze every last drop of performance out of our servers....looking for every possible way to provide a better experience for our community members and guests alike.  One of the ways that we do so is by customizing the gaming experience within the boundaries of what we are permitted.  Epoch is a great mod, and it has much development left ahead of it.  That being the case, now would be a perfect time for the dev team to seriously consider utilizing or at least supporting the use of Community Base Addons (CBA).  Many of you who have experience with running Arma servers will already be familiar with what CBA is and what it brings to the table in terms of modding and functionality.  But for those of you who don't know please take a few minutes to educate yourselves here.  

In short, CBA allows the use of Extended Event Handlers, function libraries, events systems, and custom user interfaces.  Many popular mods and addons utilize CBA as a base, and for good reason, since Arma by default does not support or allow many of the features and functions that can help make a great game like Arma even better.  Addons like JSRS and ASR_AI3 make use of CBA, because without it they could not do the things that they do - make Arma better!  CBA is a stand-alone addon and does not require any licensing or usage permissions.  All that's needed is for it to be run along side Epoch, just like the AllInArmaTerrainPack for Chernarus.  

So where am I going with this?  Well I had a short discussion with AWOL a month or so ago and was asking about CBA support and he stated that it wasn't planned.  So I wanted to put this together to respectfully ask AWOL and the rest of the dev team to reconsider and to gain some community support for the use of CBA.  I realize that a lot of work has gone into Epoch already, but development is still in its early stages, and if a change needs to be made now is the time to consider it versus 6 months from now when the mod is nearing beta.  CBA brings a lot of options to the table for Epoch itself and also opens the doors for the community to "run with the ball" once Epoch hits 1.0, just like we did with A2 Epoch.  So please vote and discuss the issue here, both pros and cons.  Hopefully we will get some feedback from the dev team and can get CBA included or at least supported for the benefit of Epoch and all the communities involved.  

Well, what you are asking for has been considered already, AWOL has stated that he wants to support the modability, but you have to realize that there are a lot of things that take priority. Right now Epoch is being developed to be its own mod with its own functions, and expanding those are and must be the main goal. 

I have already sent Skaronator all the exceptions that are needed for CBA_A3, and I have been testrunning SoS-Pure, but there are some issues where CBA_A3 and SoS_Pure conflict and investigating those issues will take precious time from the main objective for the devs, so I understand why they may mothball something like this.

Well, what you are asking for has been considered already, AWOL has stated that he wants to support the modability, but you have to realize that there are a lot of things that take priority. Right now Epoch is being developed to be its own mod with its own functions, and expanding those are and must be the main goal.

I have already sent Skaronator all the exceptions that are needed for CBA_A3, and I have been testrunning SoS-Pure, but there are some issues where CBA_A3 and SoS_Pure conflict and investigating those issues will take precious time from the main objective for the devs, so I understand why they may mothball something like this.

Totally understandable. Currently there are some BIS functions that Epoch calls that CBA also tries to overwrite. Neither can be disabled because they are both required in order to do their own thing. In my opinion the best resolution in this case is to get Epoch and CBA working together at the development level. Whether that happens now or six months from now is irrelevant, as long as it happens at some point then everyone wins.  But common sense says that it would be easier to begin that integration sooner rather than later.  

I also recall AWOl stating that the goal was also to do Steam Workshop integration so that mods could be downloaded and played with Epoch very easily. Couple that with a powerful Epoch launcher application and you'll have a system that's hard to beat.

SOS pure? To be honest CBA conflicting with that mod are not the only issues it has, I would advise you to wait till some of the other sound mods come out first. Laxemann's sound mods are something you should keep an eye on. I heard SoS pure doesn't only change sounds I the game, so I only use it in single player.

• 3 weeks later...

Darth_Rogue: Could you perhaps make a post with all the battleye-filters needed and what is necessary for getting CBA to work? I am sure there are a lot of devs/admins that wish to run it and could use with some pointers.

Here are the BE filters for CBA using the stock AntiHack.  These are all tested and verified working.  Do note though that there are other allowances in the files for SEM, Status Bar and Welcome Messages.  If you wish to take those things out then feel free, but it shouldn't hurt to leave them in.

BE Epoch with CBA.zip

It's ready for DragonFyre but Blastcore hasn't been tested and is not included with the posted filters.  

Also note that if you use these filters for anything other than DFyre (such as ASR_AI or AGM), CBA may throw additional exceptions depending on which parts of CBA are called.

Yeah and just I looked through the old logs from my testing yesterday and didn't see that one.  So I'm not sure what that's from but I don't think it's CBA.  But I know I've seen it on my production servers before.

It is from CBA, showver.sqf to be specific (in the help PBO).