Base security

Darkstar_

Does anyone know the exact details of how a base can be breached?

Twice now we have built a base, hidden a jammer. Then came on to find one wall piece missing. I didn't even know you could blow up a wall part with a jammer active?

A wall part was protecting our truck and now it is gone and so is the part. It was either blown up or moved, not sure how it was move unless there is a glitch/bug we don't know about.

Any ideas? Tired of working hard on a base while not knowing the limits of it. Can walls be blown up with a jammer in place? Can gunfire do it? Can a sledge?

But this is what I need clarification on. does a jammer stop that? I always thought you needed to take out a jammer before you blow anything up. Otherwise you can never secure anything ever. One explosive charge (which isn't hard to come by) and your car/truck/heli is gone.

No information is worse than some information. 

A Jammer only protects the base from someone that is not part of the group from activating building mode and just moving a wall aside. Also used for maintenance, other than that satchel explosives can be used to blow up the base. Unless the server owner has implemented indestructible walls.

I just found my base is fully intact with outer locked fence seal, locked downstairs door, locked upstairs door, on second floor with walls covering doors windows, so no jumping through, etc. and yet after a few days off I log in and it's cleared out.  If you had a wall missing it was probably blown up, but even with an intact base there's just to many flaws with A3 to have any security.

In vanilla mode, imo the loot is just too hard to obtain for how easy it is to lose... I know you're not supposed to be attached to gear, but when you play a few weeks and then someone cheats or whatever happened to get to your stuff, kind of want to quit rather than start over.  So I bid Epoch ado for now until someone properly mods it.  

Can i just add that sometimes if a vehicle is to near to a wall and the server restarts, the vehicles respawn into the base and can explode which in turn takes a wall out. I have learned this myself more than once. just make sure there is enough space for a vehicle to spin 360 degrees on its spot and does'nt hit anything and you should be safe. I'm not sure if its true but i have been told that all vehicles spawn in facing north then spin to its last known position. I've not acually seen this happen but who knows.

Can i just add that sometimes if a vehicle is to near to a wall and the server restarts, the vehicles respawn into the base and can explode which in turn takes a wall out. I have learned this myself more than once. just make sure there is enough space for a vehicle to spin 360 degrees on its spot and does'nt hit anything and you should be safe. I'm not sure if its true but i have been told that all vehicles spawn in facing north then spin to its last known position. I've not acually seen this happen but who knows.

This is what I would suggest. The cars go boom easier in Arma 3 it seems.

For now it is almost impossible to secure youre base to be taken over easily.

The frequency jammer is way to big (hard to cover up by walls because you need 2 walls on top of each other + it don’t fit in houses)

The way we have to play now for having a base that is not taking over easily is to build a really big box of cinder (more than 2 walls around it, this should not be the way it should be + making a box on cinder is so much work since it takes so much cinder and energy).

-Once you destroyed the jammer people can ruin the base in just 15 min, because they can move just everything (also locked doors). The jammer is way to important.

Our bases even get raided withing any damage, they just shoot the jammer from a distance (you can shoot true metal walls and wooden floors). Even if you manage to get some cinder arround it its still be to easy.

But yea that is how the developers wants it.....

It's a survival game. Remember, even vanilla Dayz Epoch doesn't have indestructable buildings. A jammer will only prevent someone from walking up and moving your base parts. They can still destroy it with explosives and gun fire.

Which IMO isn't very balanced at this moment.

Time to Build vs Time to Breach should be balanced more.

Destroying the jammer means full acces to the base, even the doors with locks on it (only not lockboxes).

Destroy the jammer, place your own and the base is yours.

I heard developers talking about that the jammer even getting bigger since its the point that other players can see it :S

Destroying the jammer means full acces to the base, even the doors with locks on it (only not lockboxes).

Destroy the jammer, place your own and the base is yours.

I heard developers talking about that the jammer even getting bigger since its the point that other players can see it :S

Bigger? that's ridiculous.

Since posting this and after having spent time with the mod, I thought I would share my own thoughts on this issue.

The limitations on securing the base stem from the Arma engine. With the introduction of “step over” and multiple stances, it is possible to get into any base. After our base was blown up multiple times we got angry. So much so I did everything to get into their base in return. I found out it is relatively easy to “glitch” into a base.

That being said, the rest of the security does lay at the mods feet.

Firstly the jammer. This devices shape means you will always have to place it in a 1x1x2 building (unless you use physics to knock the device over). Being a beacon for people to aim for, since you can switch to 3rd person and peek into a base locating the jammer. In reality, other groups and my own have become sneakier with jammer placement. For example, we went up to some wind turbines near our base, blew up said turbine and placed a jammer on the ground. After restart the turbine was back and we could still maintain the jammer. No one would ever think to look there.
You have to do these things since an entire base can be brought down by a glitcher with a satchel.

Which brings me on to another issue.

I don’t know if I am looking in the wrong place but I cannot find ANY information on damage values for things like jammers, base walls, lockboxes etc. It appears to be total random if a satchel will take out a jammer, or every floor around it instead. In some cases the satchel will not damage a thing either, or in some, it will take out the floor below the jammer only, or perhaps an entire floor of panels. Lockbox security is also an issue.

There is no point playing if lockboxes can be destroyed. None. Argue with me all you like about hiding them better, but I am not going to hide 7 lockboxes in the woods around my base. I built a base for a reason. The fact that they can be destroyed (if they leave the items on the ground I am unsure of) is unbelievable and really puts me off playing a single second more. Coming online and finding that someone has glitched into your base and destroyed over 8 lockboxes which were full of items which 5 of us spent weeks gathering is a miserable experience.

Keep it like base parts, after 7 days of inactivity or no maintenance, auto unlock the lockboxes, allowing players to loot and pack them. If not, leave them locked forever. Simple. 

Keep it like base parts, after 7 days of inactivity or no maintenance, auto unlock the lockboxes, allowing players to loot and pack them. If not, leave them locked forever. Simple. 

The first part of this statement makes me smile. The last part makes me very, very sad. No forever locks! 

I just found my base is fully intact with outer locked fence seal, locked downstairs door, locked upstairs door, on second floor with walls covering doors windows, so no jumping through, etc. and yet after a few days off I log in and it's cleared out.  If you had a wall missing it was probably blown up, but even with an intact base there's just to many flaws with A3 to have any security.

In vanilla mode, imo the loot is just too hard to obtain for how easy it is to lose... I know you're not supposed to be attached to gear, but when you play a few weeks and then someone cheats or whatever happened to get to your stuff, kind of want to quit rather than start over.  So I bid Epoch ado for now until someone properly mods it.  

There are two options to this. 

1) you did not maintain your base on a daily basis (you gotta put krypto into the freq jammer quite often) what you described sounds like that. Walls n floors will just disappear if you don't maintain your base. 

2) you parked a vehicle too close to the base. which spawned in and blew so you ended up with a wall missing

Lucky indeed.

We thought of building a base in that military tower, but due to some of the buildings being destructible, it is risky. The amount of bases people make in the vanilla buildings with only a door on the entrance. Once satchel and the entire building crumbles and we just walk in.