List of Epoch Improvements/Annoyances

thrash25

This will be in no particular order. Just as they come to mind.

• No life regen of any kind. There should be some if you're at or near full hunger.
  • Shelf storage is too low.
  • Unable to move shelves once placed.
  • Lockboxes are unbelievably rare.
  • Lockbox storage is too low.
  • Multitool heal rarely works and is near pointless.
  • Multitool revive rarely works.
  • Multitool fix heli doesn't work.
  • One life rule is stupid, and never accurately works and just auto respawns you.
  • Krypto values on items is strangely different. Ex: All helis cost the same...?
  • World Limit.
  • Fire places can't be placed where you want or be moved.
  • Need more NPC related events.
  • Traders get stuck inside buildings if you brush up against them.
  • Clothing is rare. Too rare. It's easier to find a .50 rifle than some underwear.
  • Krypto almost never can be picked up. If you die on wood, gg krypto.
  • Debug menu is ugly. Needs to be reworked and pretty. Half of info seems useless.
  • Vehicles seem slightly too rare. Bikes anyone?
  • More methods of healing yourself are needed.
  • Weapon sway from having 0.01 damage makes me want to punch a baby.
  • Some sort of option to combine magazines is needed.
  • I hate to admit it, but general chat is needed until mod is in a steady state.
  • Sledge hammers take up too much space for what little value they provide.
  • Some sort of option to combine energy packs. Basically anything that has a value should be combinable.
  • Jammers can't be moved once placed.

Base Building

• Base building is frustratingly wrong and broken. Here's why-
  • Physics is the worst idea I've seen and is such a hassle it would probably be the reason I quit this game.
  • Base building on anything other than a perfectly flat surface will result in you wanting to kill yourself.
  • Snap building never snaps to what you want it to.
  • Snap building will kill you and your friends more than players will.
  • Snap building will allow you to visit space.
  • Ramp sizes are too small compared to walls.
  • Walls of all type should be same size to allow better snapping and placement.
  • All walls should snap together. All building structures should snap together in a way you'd like.
  • Upgraded wood walls into sheet metal allow you vision into bases from holes in floor.
  • The prop you're about to grab/grabbing should glow a distinct color to verify what you're grabbing.

I'll add more to this as they come. Add more if you like.

Edit:

• Group inviting/kicking from a leader point doesn't work. People have to manually leave, (if that works) and sometimes bugs out and you'll have two of the same person in group.
  • With the buggy group system, the price of upgrading is incredibly high.
  • ATMs can be difficult to find outside of grocery store. Make more noticeable.
  • Base maintaining should tell you how many items you have within range, and how long until you lose them.
  • Currently, glitching into a base is very easy. Won't get into details how, but the metal walls are both too thin and too weak when shot through or blown up. Cinder walls take only a vehicle to blow through, effectively making them useless when compared to metal/wood.
  • Explosives are far too common and makes having a base arguably pointless. Top it of with vehicles doing more damage than bombs, base security when offline is slim to none.

I'll answer a couple points:

The debug mode is like that because this is in Alpha and it's used to diagnose and tell the testers the state of things. I find it unlikely that it will remain there after the Alpha is finished. Most likely there will be no debug mode once it goes into Beta.

General chat ("Side Chat") can be enabled in the server description.ext.

There are mission systems that have been developed by players but devs have hinted at more AI involvement in future releases.

Rarity of vehicles is controlled by the server's configuration. A server admin could set it up to have hundreds of vehicles if they wanted to.

I won't get into details..

And yes, I as well know it's "Alpha" but from my experiences I see two big issues.

1. Base Building

2. Vehicles.

These two need looking into as a priority in my mind.

I do agree with a lot of your points.

Personally I'd rather have them focus on cleaning up as best as they can some of the stuff you mentioned rather than putting in new things like the Ferris wheel.. but that's their call.

Agreed.

But seeing as though this is early alpha, My guess is they will get around to it.

Just need to be patient and allow them to do what they need to do.

Get the important stuff done first.... Like maybe mysql / sqllite / extdb support <--- unlikely but hey doesn't hurt to be optimistic.

Multi tool does work. It does repair a chopper, I have done it many times. I have also revived players from death, healed players to full health, etc. Sometimes it just takes quite a few shots, but shouldn't it? 

Sometimes the revive only works if you shoot their head, sometimes their butt! You never know.

I do agree that certain items like fireplaces and shelves should be able to be moved, or removed once placed. Same thing with Frequency jammers. Be a lot less Admin calls.

As for the building, I rather enjoy it. Building in Arma 2 was just stupid. It allowed for any moron to build anything, anywhere, and that is just wrong. The new system just takes patience, and an understanding of physics, and how you can't place a wall, or part of a floor through a rock, mountain, or other structure.

One thing I do agree with you though is slight damage sway, and oh lord, the moaning in scoped view. Sometimes I just shoot from the hip, even from range so I don't have to listen to my character moaning.

In the end though, this is Alpha, and we have a long, long way to go. I love the changes that have been made so far, and look forward to all future changes. Thank you Epoch team!!

As for the AI encounters...I think it would be really cool to make the spawned amount of AI a random amount, just to keep us guessing. Right now it's always three with the drone..ALWAYS. If it becomes random, you then have players thinking "did we get them all?" every time. Just a thought.

Thanks!

The one thing with building I notice is the objects just don't seem to meld together fully.

If you walk between the objects (wooden floors) your character can start floating in the air.  This may have something to do with the fact that vehicles end up blowing up if not parked properly centered on one wooden floor though I have not tested it.  May help them determine the cause of vehicles getting damaged causing them to exploding when sitting in a base on wooden floors.

I'd like to throw a few points out there:

1) ATMs/Payphones - It would be nice if there were banking terminals inside the trader cities. I think the risk you have to take by heading out to find an ATM/Payphone, draw money, then move cross country back to the trader with all that cash  is unreasonable. It's hard enough earning it and then keeping the items we buy with it, I don't think we need the unnecessary risk of transporting it from ATM to tader cross country just ot make a purchase.

2) I think the loss of money from your account when dying is a little over the top. Losing all your gear and having to start back at spawn with nothing is more than enough of a penalty. It's nice to know when you get killed that it's not a complete loss and you can still feel like you're getting somewhere becuase the money you've banked is still there. Taking money from your account seems like a gratuitous extra kick when you're down more than a good incentive to not get killed.

3) The sudden weather changes are a problem. Not just becuase of the hit that immersion takes when it suddenly goes from raining to perfectly sunny, but the stutters that occur during this transition are fatal. They make flying a helicopter virtually impossible. I think if you're going to have aircraft, those stutters need to be done away with. (Now I'm sure someone will chime in and say "just fly at a higher altitude!" but that's a non starter. Landings, searching for things on the ground, chasing players - If we're going to have aircraft, we need to be able to fly them at all altitudes, not just high alt. Being forced to fly only at high alt due to a graphics bug is no good).

These points arne't so much gripes as they are suggestions:

- I really liked the trader city atmosphere in the ArmA2 version (even as basic as it was), the Stary trader city in particular. It gave a sense of immersion to have what felt like a populated, safe place contrasted against the wild frontier outside. It would be cool to see the trader cities in Epoch A3 developed into something like this, if not taken even further. Different stalls for different item types, animated NPCs, ambient conversations - this would make the trader cities feel real as opposed ot the highly artifical nature they present as it is now (and yes, I realize the current ones are probably just placeholders). You could even throw in usless, ambient NPCs just to add to atmosphere - animate them so they're having conversations, doing chores etc. And you should be able to log out in these locatoins so they feel like a real safe zone.

- Re: The hostile NPCs. I like the post apocalyptic, non-zombie motif of the A3 version. Zombies are silly. I like the idea of hostile NPCs being robots. It allows for a much more diverse variety of enemies - with varying levels of danger. I wonder if there are any modders out there who'd be interested in creating robots for use as NPCs in Epoch A3?

- Now this idea will probably be pretty controvertial, but how about pay storage at trader cities? There could be a booth where you can store gear for a certain amount of time at a certain price. That could provide an alternative to base building, but one which you would have to work for (in order to pay the rent). You could balance this any way you like against base building by setting the rate for rent. You wouldn't want to make renting storage so cheap that there's no point in building - the incentive to build (and therefore own) being that it's less costly in the long run to own your own storage, but still allowing for people who haven't been able to base build a way to store gear at least temporarily. I think the rent vs own dilemma could add an interesting new dynamic to the game.

I actually really like the loss of krypto in theory. HOWEVER, I think -100 is definitely over the top (-50 is more reasonable) and you shouldn't be able to go negative in your bank account. It makes it very daunting to start up on a new server. One of the guys in my crew is currently at like -2500 on Mells. While this is largely his fault (not only because he is dying too much, but also not actively looting, selling, and depositing cash), it has made krypto and looting for gear to sell and make money essentially pointless for him.

EDIT: Also repair vehicle does work on choppers, heal player does work (it just take a couple of times), revive player works pretty much every time for me (you gotta shoot em in the head) and you can move frequency jammers after you place them.

Everything else I agree with.

We need more storage containers. Also the recipe for shelves is way too much. 9 metal scraps!! By the time you find that many scraps you've accumulated enough loot to fill at least 4 more shelves! 

About basebuilding part, we shuld be allowed to build walls inside a ground, nothing stops me from digging in part of structure irl. There should be a stair piece available that could go in ground, if floor is built on foundation then there is no way to get on it (because foundation can't go lower than preset with PageDown) unless I improvise a ramp from floor piece (which is way too big for this purpose)

What should also be added is a Dismantle option, it is kind of silly that you have to use explosives if you wan't to remove a staircase or a wall that you've built and realised you don't need it anymore. Dismantle would work good even if you don't get any materials back from it, or if there's a random chance of what/how many materials you get back from it.

Hopefully the devs are aware of all these issues and can fix them. 

True story, the thing that kills or damages my character the most is base building, Snapbuilding/VectorBuilding was fine in arma 2 the priority should make all the parts ghost models so they at least don't kill the player,  then we can be frustrated with building but alive :)

Not to mentions that when you die you are left with 0 energy and cant proceed with the building for a while.

+ When building and you have a little step when you tried to join a floor to a floor, there is a bug of when you walk across this step to see if its placed right then you start flying mid-air if you try move from the position you die,

+ placing loot in your raised base on the floor . loot goes to ground level not your level

+ 30 min veh locktime is a bit short. people have to sleep you know

can the time be changed to more than 1 day and still work for your player after a restart

+ traders are perfect do not addapt the older version please. Special offers of items not listed would be nice but the older trader system was too much on the easyside. (all items in epoch in traders) too OP

anyway of adding an autochute to overcome this?

+ 30 min veh locktime is a bit short. people have to sleep you know

Well get your vehicle back to your base, its always locked then. 30 mins looting then return empty gear into it -relock, repeat. Plus if you come across it then either you know someones coming back for it or theres a base near.

I think a lot of people in this thread dont understand how many of there complaints are in the server owners control. Example lossing money when you die. On my server I have set it to 0. Vehicles I have 10 of most land vehicles and at least 5 of each chopper.

You cant fault the Devs for things they have given up control of. Check out other servers and see the difference. I dont know if mentioning my server name is appropriate here or not??

Animal House IP 199.101.98.74;2402   If this is the wrong place I am sorry. Maybe an admin will remove or move this part only??