Building walls is almost impossible

POLARICED

Hi, after spending 30 minutes trying to build 2 cinder walls (it happens with wood walls also and pretty much every modular object) I come to this forum to report how annoying and tiring it is to build a base with the current building system implemented, plus the snap building (for mysterious reasons) has only worked so far 3 times. The wiki controls are not very detailed neither the ingame messages (What does it means for  snap direction 1,2,3 or 0???). I've also noticed that when building on hills when you press the page down key the object instead of going down it goes up, very weird. Wood floors also don't quite align with foundations and are not very easy to put down on them

So I'm asking please please PLEASE fix this building system as soon as possible because it is becoming a pain in the *** to build something decent or go back to the splendid, FANTASTIC snap tool we had on Arma 2

Thanks, very instructive but you're building on easy surfaces and I've to admin the building system on that kind of terrain is brilliant. I'm trying to build a garage in a hill which has a very irregular ground and placing the cinder walls is really tiring so what do you suggest? Should I place the vehicles on wood floors? (Wishing the gods to avoid an explosion)

After 2 choppers and three vehicles blew up on wood floors I would not recommend it.

Until the building system is more reliable I highly recommend doing what he did and build a base out of an in-game structure.

Just make your base hold gear.. ie: tipi's/shelves.

They are not vehicle friendly imo.

i find the building system really good, the only thing i struggle with is the height of a ramp is not the same as the height of a wall, so to explain i have built foundations the same height as my first ramp and then floors at the same height thats fine but then if i want to place a ramp on that level to go up one more level you cant get a floor to sit flush with the top of that ramp because you cannot raise the foundations that high and if you try to use a wall to hold up the next level the ramp is not high enough for you to drive up

Zy1RyM1.jpg

snaBRz0.jpg

The new building with physics has its advantages, and disadvantages over the ARMA2 method.

Being able to sink objects into the ground made base building a lot more easier than it is now.

Now you get the above posted issues with ramps as well as walls spazzing out once placed.

Seeing as you cannot sink the ramps now, I think that they should be the same height as a wall. That alone would make them a lot more useful.

You can sink foundations. Is there a script/chance of coding wooden ramps to be able to (and of course making them higher, A2 Epoch style)?

I'd love to see a simplified foundation that you can hold just one wall on.  Just have it with two pillars instead of 4.

call it a half-foundation.

This will allow players to put up walls on uneven terrain.

Also make it so the foundations can lower to get as close as you can to ground height.

Place foundations down, place wooden floors on foundations, then use a wooden floor as a ramp to get in, build walls ontop of wooden floor. PROFIT.

Make sure that someone cannot go prone under the foundation, they can look up and glitch to access shelves near the walls..  We had to block off the edges with stud walls because we couldn't move the shelves away from the walls after being placed

A bit off topic but someone told me that you can remove objects by pressing 1 and space bar at the same time and when the timer gets a quarter way done you let go of the 1 key and it will remove the object.

I tried it and it didn't work for me.. Anyone try this or know anything about?

To remove I think all you need to do is be sure the build system is on. Then hit the bar while looking at the item. I bigger circle should appear showing the progress. Be warned though not figured out to not build something after you started. So this will let you move it only. Unless someone knows more???

My issue with the build system is the controls are horrible. Rotating works when it wants. The snap is useless. I have been killed by walls too many times. To me this will break the game for me. If you are building far from a spawn point and your wall kills you...........could be a long time to get back. Now think what did you have unlocked while you were building????

Yeah, me and my brothers were excited to try out Arma 3 Epoch. We were huge fans of A2 Epoch, and the biggest thing that sets it apart from normal DayZ is the building. As it is, it's nearly impossible to build a base on anything other than a flat surface, like a runway. I understand trying to get rid of floating stuff, but this isn't the way to do it imo. Realism is cool and all, but in real life you don't just have 1 size wall that you just put into place. You can build a wall to your specifications on a sloped floor to make it level on the top (or even not level, if that's not what you need). Obviously making custom size/shape walls isn't viable, but what you can have is walls that are placed partially into the ground. 

In conclusion; keep things from floating in air, but don't keep things from "floating" in objects. 

Also am I missing something or are there no wood foundations? At least then we could build something without spending a month gathering buckets of mortar.