D'oh: Let's Learn About Livestock and Animal Husbandry

spinphd

A lot of folks are bitching about the food issue and the rates of hunger and thirst.

For starters, let me say, if you're one of those still sucking on the Similac that likes to troll a conversation just to bitch about people bitching as if it's invalid to bring these creative problems to light in a discussion forum about the mod, feedback for the mod and to speculate about better ideas for the mod, either go back to mommy for another bottle or tit, and stay out of this discussion.  Shhh, this is for the grown ups!

So, I like the direction the builders have taken with respect to food but I agree, like a lot of you, that the balance isn't correct.  Hey, it's still in dev right!  Yes.  But it ain't any less STUPID!

The RATE at which you need to consume is obviously WAY OFF.  There must have been a router down in the greymatter on that one because the synapses were just not firing right! 

I'll leave others to talk about the RATE itself, the first piece of advice I have is that once you run OUT of food, (and some of this MAY depend on how long you've been alive in the game and how high your stamina has gotten) but, at 4.7 hours, my guy hit 0 food and could then only RUN 100m! 

Ok, that's idiotic!  So there are some balancing issues to look at here DEVS.  Do some real-world research, don't pull all this out of your o-ring! 

But the being able to hunt for food in the game is a nice little addition, it's realistic, it get's people out into the countryside, and it has a fun strategic side-effect.  Do I spend my time rummaging thru old houses in the HOPES for left over food that someone missed, OR do I RUN my ass off over the country HOPING I run into a goat?  :)  Problem is, at the current level of IMBALANCE you spend too much trying to FIND, only to eat and almost have to go looking for food again.

One problem is, there is almost NO wildlife! 

Generally, a hen lays 100 eggs a year, fertility is pretty high about 85% but hatchability is only about 55-60%, still, there are NO natural predators in the world right, so there should be chickens everywhere.  Ya know, since BEFORE the SHTF there were many farms and breeders, etc.  Just taking a cursory look at Chicken production, the Hawaiian city of Kapa'a has a population of nearly 10,000 WILD chickens.  I think at 22 km^2 greek-like island would have TONS! 

In fact, the chickens you find in this MOD are LESS than you'd normally see in the game.  I remember before playing Epoch running into TONS more Rabbit and Chicken.  Now, I'm fighting just to stay alive because the wildlife representation is so bad!

And don't get me started on the Goat's and Sheep.... WTF?  They'd be EVERYWHERE by now! 

And why can't I eat DOG!  You would, you pussies!

And, as ugly as it sounds, why can't I eat people?  *barf*

Lastly,

The prospect that you get a SKIN OR a HUNK OF MEAT is just plain, NY style, lib-tard, asinine STUPID!

My kids and I keep our freezer stocked with so much meat that we've not bought burger meat at the grocery store in 5 years!  And I've NEVER skinned a deer or hog and only gotten the hide OR the meat! D'oh!  Time for more Enfamil?

And WHAT ABOUT THE DEER?

WTF sort of messed up world is this!  :)

Spin Phd

The idea behind it is most likely a lean towards looting on purpose, or else you end up with the "king of the castle" who never has to go and loot again because they have everything they could ever need stored away in their base, just like endgame Arma 2 Epoch.

As long as you can find food and drink when you need to look for it, I'm happy.

Army marches on its stomach saying...

You mean Troll?

troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic

LOL!  Hmmmm, by any intellectual standard that doesn't fit my posts, which offer a lot of feedback and advice to anyone smart enough to pass the SATs! 

SON, YOU fit this definition and the fact that you don't realize it, yet still open your girly mouth, means your parents are morons too!

Spin Phd

You mean Troll?

troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic

LOL!  Hmmmm, by any intellectual standard that doesn't fit my posts, which offer a lot of feedback and advice to anyone smart enough to pass the SATs! 

SON, YOU fit this definition and the fact that you don't realize it, yet still open your girly mouth, means your parents are morons too!

Spin Phd

How many Dorito crumbs are in your neckbeard?

First of all let me express the disgust about the trolling and ad persona attacks against spinphd. You kids really have no input here and generally waste this planet's resources. While reading your posts I'm all for antedated birth control.

Ad issue...

And WHAT ABOUT THE DEER?

Long list short (based on Lemnos wildlife):

• hen, goats and sheep (no cows)
  • feral cats and dogs (perfectly eatible, check the American colonists' diaries)
  • seal and deer
  • hare, rat, mice, hedgehog
  • some birds
  • snakes (inc. whip snake)... model is present in Arma3, need only way to use it.
  • frogs (but i would not risk eating it)
  • fishes (hey, it's an island)

Some of the list above, including already present in Epoch3 animals should also spawn in packs instead of lonely chicken crossing the road.These are gregarious animals.

As for hen. I disagree with hen population spread as there should be few feral predators (esp. cats). The Fallow deer would be bit more widespread (as the feral dogs would have to form wolf-like packs to hunt one). However to model any of these populations realistically you would need estimation of surviving human pop. as it would have the biggest influence on the ecology.

Some hundreds  humans will clean the forest in 2 years, if no additional food source is provided. Quick estimation (100g of beef gives 160-315 kcal. (ave 250kcal.)), you need like 2000kcal. for a day == 800g of beef. A deer should give you 10-40kg (ave 25kg) of meat, which should be enough for 24days days for a person. So to feed one human you need 15 deers. Population of 500 people would require 7500 deers per year. I am aware that no deer-only diet is possible, also we may change the values of meat one deer can provide, but the whole purpose of this estimation is to show up the amount of food that small human pop. consumes. In a year without agriculture and animal husbandry, this would be wasteland. Unfortunately there's no way to introduce agriculture and animal husbandry to make this more realistic survival game; for many many reasons.

Provided, some people survived 2033y. catastrophe, the wildlife population should be sparse. In Epoch 0.2.5.1 it's not modelled perfectly, as there are some significant food sources missing (deer, fish, dog, cat, snake), but it gives some realism of hunting for food.

The only things I would correct are: add deers+seals+fishes, the number of legs and a skin I can get from animal and the the deer/sheep/goats/hen in packs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Epoch rolling changelog stated something about plant food source. So We're going in right direction, if the goal is hunters-gatherers society :)

First of all let me express the disgust about the trolling and ad persona attacks against spinphd. You kids really have no input here and generally waste this planet's resources. While reading your posts I'm all for antedated birth control.

i think the real troll is OP

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253710/ 

there ya go brah.

i mean theres only so much you can pack into one game, you cant make everything perfect. 

since theres cars should it be a racing simulator?

since theres food should it be a cooking simulator? 

since theres armless suicidal creatures running around should it be a middle eastern role playing simulator?

you see the trend here