Idea for "Karma" System

CRY3rn

They should have a choice of which configuration and features they like best.

Freedom of choice is almost always good but it can often destroy markets to, the ones that win population is not the ones with the best set of scripts and features it's the ones that promote them selves best. Letting the big YouTube names getting fun stuff spawn in and having koreografer videos that don't represent real gameplay, sure can be fun to watch though.

Breaking Point for example does not give these people free bees and every time one of the big names go there they get wrecked really really bad.

http://www.thezombieinfection.com/topic/16942-thoughts-about-certain-content-creators-and-development/

Freedom of choice brings other issues that can and probably will destroy gameplay for a lot of people.

Again it won't matter how good your server is when you have communities with these front figures and pay to win concepts, the common man thinks he knows what he wants and go there but instead of making the mod last for 1000h's of hours they choose the easy route which make the mod last a couple of 100 if even so.

And there is no way you can test 100 different servers with different settings to find the one that fits your profile. If you test 50 there is a high chance that 40 of those are so badly setup that desync will be so bad that you end up giving up on Epoch.

Look in the General section how many complain here about shitty server host's.

Back to topic Epoch is working on some kind of system that will tone down KOS to some extent but there will always be bandits and mercy less killers, it's a apocalypse not a utopia.

Freedom of choice is always the best choice for the market. I'm not sure how this became an issue regarding the options in server configuration but not everyone out there hosting a server is looking to become "the next big epoch community". Like some others have stated earlier, having an official dev script is always more preferable to trying to jury-rig some sort of solution into the mod. Quality of servers will always be an issue whether or not the devs allow for more customization options into their mod since the fact of the matter is, they released their server files. Since the server files are already released, this should be a moot point. People will customize their servers regardless and reasoning that there should be less customization in order to prevent the fragmentation of server "flavors" is flawed.

Furthermore, I don't know why you think I'm against bandits. Bandits are good fun and if people don't like them, it's called making a private passworded server. That said, like some others have mentioned, there are bandits and then there are people shooting fresh spawns for shits and giggles. I don't believe anyone is saying here that Epoch should be a mod where everyone holds hands and sings Kumbaya in Kavala.

It shouldnt be a place where you get judged on your playing style because it's different than others playing styles. If you want to be a cunt, then be the best one you can be. If you want to be a hero, then be the best one you can be, if you want to be bob the builder, then be the best builder you can be. You should be happy with your own playing style and concern yourself with that only, not others, or try to dictate the way they play by punishing them for being the best at whatever style of playing they want to do.

shooting for shits and giggles is all good in my eyes.

Why should players be moving around to different servers? Mod´s like these should have server´s with stable inhabitants not constant movers.

Really like the server I´m on which have had quite the stabile base until the serverfiles where released and many started moving around and starting their own servers, some seem to be coming back now though.

Digg Breaking Points concept here where they are out for making a mod and not a platform but I like vanilla Epoch better.

Communities fighting over players only ruin mods I think.

So using your argument why should i join a server that is basically a Team deathmatch when i can play battlefield that is a game more oriented for that kind of play style?

Why should i have to play the way you want and not have the option to play as i want?

Because you want to play on a team deathmatch server that is full ?

Sorry, cant buy that, options don't hurt anyone and broadens the community and that  adaptability is the basic definition of the arma series, it opens a world of possibilities.

Play breakingpoint, they like COD alot. 

Kill on sight would be a natural state of mind in an apocalypse, starvation, poverty and the losses already experienced with the need to survive should lead to that, throw in some human nature it really isn't going to go any other way.

I can't see PVP ever being 'punished', is as valid a game play as PVE, I have learnt to be wary of other players and stalk them or avoid them, I generally play PVE, when I get time to actually play the game ;)

That said, personally, I think there is a missing element to allow for lone players to meet up and form a band in game, with no other external interaction, such as forums. A previous meeting, out of the game, detracts from the immersion.

Enforcement and punishment for behaviour should be environmental only, realism is key, immersing the player is king.

Compering COD to ARMA Sandbox mods is a good idea, does not make any sense at all completely different types. COD no value at all in your life, ARMA mods a character that has lived for 40h and the firefights are way more intense and you have other mission´s which make it last. If I only liked PVP and not looting and all these glorious side missions and surprise shots over my head don´t you think I would prefer a game/mod with less desync and a better netcode? 

Epoch devs are already working on a system something you guy´s seem to want to miss in my posts, something I look forward to. I played 5 of those 10 months as a "Good" character.

I´m also against the Spawnkilling and such but don´t really see a way to stop/punish them without punishing a big part of the playerbase and that would be wrong, lets see what the devs are up to when they are ready shall We?

Breaking Point sadly chose to step away from the sandbox a bit and is a bit to hardcore when it comes to vehicles and the groupsystem, played it for 10months before Epoch landed which I like much more.

Freedom opens up for Pay to Win and Bullshit commercial stories like the big youtube names that has almost nothing to do with actual gameplay.

It doesn't hurt to discuss things though. I mean, hey, conversation about this may spark some new ideas for the devs. :D

Freedom also gives people the freedom to be stupid, that's just unavoidable. If you treat the playerbase as a market... well, there's clearly some sort of absurd demand for pay-to-win or else it wouldn't exist as a viable business model.

And some people seem to forget, the decision to release server files has already been made, lol. With that comes the freedom to modify a server to one's preference, be it through "official" configurations or personal scripting knowledge.

I'm afraid to disagree with a dev... :unsure:  But isn't gameplay king over realism with realism there to simply enhance the gameplay?

for me game play comes from immersing the player into an environment. Personally, I don't ever think 'what will make good game play', I think how can I taunt the player and make their demise seem inevitable, with a glimmer of a chance of escape from the antagonist :)

The game play is a result of all collective input, born from developers ideas, players feedback and the game engine (environment) we are working and playing within.

Meh, but under that logic, it's fine to be a griefer? I don't think many players or server admins welcome that.

But, to each their own. Hence why more optional features should be promoted rather than shunned.

Don't try to twist my words.

If it doesn't break server rules a troll can be a troll all he wants, im not the type of prick that will inhibit his playing style just because it grates agaisnt my tree hugging crybaby ways. I have never once said breaking the rules is acceptable, and trolling is not agaisnt the rules nor is killing on sight, on most servers. If it is on a minority, then players know the rules before they play on that server, or they will be informed of them shortly there after.

What i have taken from this thread is you are genuinly butt hurt about other people getting to play the way they want within the boundaires of the rules. Luckily this game isn't all about YOU. I suggest you avoid nearly every major populated server and certainly never join MGT as you'll only cry yourself to sleep every night when you get KOS consistently. :D

"Opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one."

I disagree that in a real apocalypse everyone would shoot at everyone else. I think there would be a lot of team work, perhaps not between everyone, but groups would form. Most movies and TV series support this opinion. Hell, even in Left 4 Dead, you started with a group of 3 other people and didn't just out right kill them at the start unless you were a sadistic fuck who likes to lonewolf it.

So anyway, this is the feedback forum so everyone's opinions are hopefully weighed by the devs and maybe some of what we've said will be implemented in some small way, as an option for admins to use or not use, as they wish. 

Well spoken except for that other paragraph you added in a prior post, lol. :P I really don't see what the problem is for suggesting an idea that could be set as optional. Freedom ftw! :D

Start working then.. It´s not like the scripts write them selves. Its a lot of work and the Devs might have 100 other things lined up before this ; )

Maybe focusing on core features that should be used on all servers should be prioritised? 

Start working then.. It´s not like the scripts write them selves. Its a lot of work and the Devs might have 100 other things lined up before this ; )

Maybe focusing on core features that should be used on all servers should be prioritised? 

Haha, yeah, I figured that the devs have a lot on their plates. But hey, maybe this can be a dot on their radar (albeit like a million miles away).