Mods looking promising...servers though, kind of not as much

semipr0

Just wanted to put up a concern.

I can find tons of Epoch mod servers but generally, especially with the US based server base, it always seems like there are < 10 people on servers at any given time.

There are a few exceptions but these servers seem to be more focused around EU based server communities and while thats fine and all, I just don't enjoy playing with 180+ latency to deal with and perhaps a language barrier.

I noticed BMRF has a server up and its official, but its never very  busy, I'm whitelisted with BMRF and used to play on their servers a lot, but the A3 Epoch server is never very busy.

Is it just the early state of the mod that has people waiting to see what happens as it develops? Cause I really like the systems in A3 over A2, but I keep dragging myself back to A2 Epoch for actual stuff to do...yanno, people to get shot at by and all that.

Altis is great, but you can't do < 10 people on Altis and ever expect anything near to a tense encounter...and the AI is kinda...not really a threat at this point, other than the AI bandits that can headshot you with PDW's from 400m away...but even then I can usually get two of them before the third one gets me.

Anyways...long story short, wheres the challenge from the US clan base/player base? Are people just worried about investing too much effort early on, only to lose it as patches and DB updates come along?

TLDR: Where is everyone?

we are fortunate to be seeing anything pre 1.0.

I would hold all judgments until we see the 1.0 release.  Until then we are all BETA testing :)

That's how I'm looking at it anyway.

The early release of code, I feel is more to give server admins a step up and get things going, so when the first 'gold disk' comes out, we'll be prepared to have functional servers with the extra bells and whistles our specific communities will be looking for.

defiantly way too many servers right now, search epoch on the filter and theres like 1,000 of them. everyone wants to be an admin and have all the power i guess haha.

mells house is the server ive been playing on, even though it says its EU its really US. 100 player count and its near capacity nearly all day, but it runs fucking great

right now im playing on mells chernarus test server you should download the AIA map pack and 2.5.2 RC and jump in

defiantly way too many servers right now, search epoch on the filter and theres like 1,000 of them. everyone wants to be an admin and have all the power i guess haha.

mells house is the server ive been playing on, even though it says its EU its really US. 100 player count and its near capacity nearly all day, but it runs fucking great

right now im playing on mells chernarus test server you should download the AIA map pack and 2.5.2 RC and jump in

Downloading it again after I deleted it on accident... Will be in there shortly!!

And Mell's is in Canada, at least Axle's Altis server is. 

Some folks in my community have echoed similar concerns.  But my response is similar to what others here have said:  it's early.  There's tons of servers up right now.  And not all of them are going to be in it for the long haul.  Many folks who are paying $30-$40 per month for their slotted server are going to eventually get tired of paying for it when they realize they can't seem to get any traffic and they will consequently shut down.  My team and I are going to stick it out.  We are paying for the server box anyways for a couple other servers we run so it's not like the hardware is going to waste.  Slow and steady is going to win this race, IMO.  

People really don't realize what being an (or THE) admin on a successful server actually is like.

Takes a rare and special kind of person to do for any appreciable amount of time. Just like with Altis Life, a few month in we will see a few large and robust communities maintaining high player counts + a few medium-sized servers doing their thing.

I'm way more worried about the direction that people are taking their servers even in this rather locked down state. It's extremely hard to find a well frequented server (with a decent ping, which sadly means no Mell's for me) that doesn't come with armored (sometimes also armed) vehicles and yolo-extra-uber-loot settings.

The server I help admin has been very fortunate to be well populated right from the first day it was open. The owners were very unsure at first as to the need for arma3 epoch as we are running 16 busy overpoch/overpochins arma2 servers, we are now moving to a dedicated box and looking forward to the epoch devs support work for the Chernarus map.

Although not an official host we are running server as devs released it.

It is hosted in US. Please search for Firecock.

The server I help admin has been very fortunate to be well populated right from the first day it was open. The owners were very unsure at first as to the need for arma3 epoch as we are running 16 busy overpoch/overpochins arma2 servers, we are now moving to a dedicated box and looking forward to the epoch devs support work for the Chernarus map.

Although not an official host we are running server as devs released it.

It is hosted in US. Please search for Firecock.

Isn't Firecock that arma 2 server that ripped code off of maca and then called it their own?

I am one of the many server admin/operators.  Its just a hobby i suppose, tinkering and stuff, never was really good at the game (not a pvp player, always shot in the face or back).  So, i decided to be admin instead and help and spectate and shit.  Mells is good stuff, but only late at night for me.  peace and enjoy the show!

edit:

forgot to say, i host on my machine.  damn that 30-40 a month job

People really don't realize what being an (or THE) admin on a successful server actually is like.

Takes a rare and special kind of person to do for any appreciable amount of time. Just like with Altis Life, a few month in we will see a few large and robust communities maintaining high player counts + a few medium-sized servers doing their thing.

I'm way more worried about the direction that people are taking their servers even in this rather locked down state. It's extremely hard to find a well frequented server (with a decent ping, which sadly means no Mell's for me) that doesn't come with armored (sometimes also armed) vehicles and yolo-extra-uber-loot settings.

I agree with this totally. I'm sorry you can't play on Mells house, but I'm sure there are more servers like it that you can join. 

I don't understand why so many people try to connect and disconnect within a few seconds. Didn't they recognize, that they have to download and "install" the mod, before they can join servers? All my ppl just downloaded it and no one had ever problems to connect and play on my server. I think most of the people just know ALTIS LIFE, which is in fact just a modified mission and not really a mod (that you have to download)...

^ truest statement in this thread. lol

But yes there are way too many servers now. And honestly I'm not sure why, being an admin is a headache. It's not all fun games and spawned helicopters like so many people think going into it. You have to work your ass off to keep your player base happy, and are constantly fixing bugs or compensating players, or else you'll be the king of nobody on a dead server like so many already are. It takes massive amounts of time and devotion. I've been doing for years through a2 and a3 and I'm getting burnt out.

These damn chernarus servers are killin my player base though I went from full server every night to like half that when ccg dropped their chernarus server. I need to get my hands on those config files. Don't have the time to adapt it myself unfortunetely.

Either way, half the server hosting lot need to close shop and write it off as a lost cause. No need to waste the money

It's Alpha

It's gonna be a "get on and check it out" thing until it becomes more appealing for players to "get on and stay on more frequent".

Mod is 4 months in the making... I wouldn't expect it to have many servers packed with players for another while yet.

And I agree fully with people who want to just pay to rent a server to get on and spawn in things like building material to play around with the building aspects.. then so be it.. It's their money.

These damn chernarus servers are killin my player base though I went from full server every night to like half that when ccg dropped their chernarus server. I need to get my hands on those config files. Don't have the time to adapt it myself unfortunetely.

Either way, half the server hosting lot need to close shop and write it off as a lost cause. No need to waste the money

They will close down eventually. It's completely over-saturated right now, just like it is/was with DayZ:Epoch. 

Also, one of the things I've seen with Epoch in the past is that a lot of people (namely the majority) go where they perceive that the development have gone farther. That's CCG and MGT right now. Exclusive content among hundreds of servers will attract a lot of attention, and Chernarus was just that. There are 100's of vanilla servers right now with very little separating them, in the end the full servers will be where there are admins that can do something interesting and unique through activity, own modifications or other exclusive stuff. Whereas copy #384 will have at most 10-15 people on them (usually the owners and their friends).

Noteworthy ofc. is that is just what some people want. Not everyone wants their base raided in the middle of the night when they sleep. ^^ 

Over time the weak hands will fold. As hard as it is to find a good server it is even harder to find good players. Here is what I see people log in , in some cases don't even wait more than 10 seconds for the mod to load and leave. Or the guy that tries to connect and can't and starts sending PM's to you that he can not connect and it is all your fault only to find out they don't even have epoch mod installed and or enabled. Or the players who think its server owners and admins jobs to "spawn them in items" every time they need something. I had a guy come in my TS yelling "hey someone destroyed my base" demanding some kind of justice. I said "it's epoch" dude has a little tantrum and rage quits. I laugh and go back to gathering....  What will make servers successful is reliability, consistency, and unique stand out features such as custom assets etc. This is only Alpha imagine when this shit hits V1.0 !