[SOLVED] Server Bug - CPU Usage

Stranger

The Question is, what is causing that problem. It is for sure not Windows...also not our Hardware. We Stresstested it in many ways. Im really out of energy and if this is still coming back on a fresh OS installation i do not have a clue.

Where did you guys installed your Arma 3 from? From Steam or from the installation guide of BI?

Arma 3 Epoch is like being married to a woman who is attractive and charming and funny and intelligent to me, and you are soulmates and everything is perfect! She is the perfect woman, you could not ask for a more better woman in the world. You love her, and she loves you. Only she has one flaw. Every 5 minute, she punches you in the face.... For no reason she punches you in the face every 5 minutes. Even at night you wake up, She punches you in the face, you recover, get 4min 38 seconds of sleep, then she punches you in the face again, and i love her.

Thats how i feel right now!

(Thx to unkown poet)

I did a Steam Arma 3 Server download using all stock files from the "Tools" section.  Not using the performance betas.  The only addons I'm running are the welcome script.  I tried using Arma Server Monitor but would get a Data Execution Prevention warning and crash when Arma 3 Server would restart, so I quit using that.  Edited BE filters to allow for JSRS to run client side.  Created custom server loading screen.  Other than that I've had no issues.

SteamCMD all the way :P 

The SteamGUI/Overlay uses up extra resources on a dedicated server, resources which I like to keep free of desktop apps like the steam gui.

My server is stock, bar the different map and has no isses, had no isses at 60 players either when we ran Altis.

Even my test server with 20+ players on and a fuckton of addons loaded (for compatability testing ofc :P ) had no issues with cpu usage.. stock or performance binaries.. w/ stock and performance memory allocators.. :rolleyes:

Only issue's we've had were performance binary crashes, all of which I have sent to BIS and none of which had anything to do with the addons/mods we were trying to cane the server with. :)

Yeah I use SteamCMD with the barebones Arma 3 dedicated server download.

I even tried it on a fully 100% stock reinstall, the bare minimum required to run Arma 3 and the performance issues were still there.

Did anyone whos getting issues manage to try it on a non-epoch mission? Its possible its the redis? Missing an additional install of something?

I really don't know what the issue could be here, I'm out of options now, I don't understand why its only affecting a minority.

I'm the co-owner if Stranger's server, and here's what we've found in the end:

epochserver.dll is creating more and more threads, which each run as much CPU cycles as they can indefinitely. Here's a picture which shows this:

anxTX1i.png

I'm suspecting these threads are just empty loops doing nothing.. Devs?

Are you guys using the VAC check in the epochserver.ini?  

Turn it off (set all the variables to zero) and watch your cpu cycles drop ;)

FYI:

I just did a test against my public server which runs with the VAC checks off - ~3% cpu time.

My test server with VAC turned on was at 17% cpu and rising when i killed it.