VEMF - Vampire's Epoch Mission Framework

TheVampire

The idea with customChat was this. All of the epoch radio channels are custom chat channels. With the command customChat working, instead of checking each player has a radio type and using systemchat on them individually, you can have an AI that is named which would instead send messages to specific radio channels just like a player does. This would let every player with that radio see the message, and be like you actually heard it over the radio.

Since customChat doesn't work, the few choices left are hints or markers.

Hints seem too obvious, and I don't like the idea of global markers.

I would do actual sound announced missions, but that would require recording voiceovers for every city on the map. It's feasible for generic missions, but not for city invasions.

Moving to createMarkerLocal on the clientside will probably be what I'll have to do unless I can get customChat to work.

@Havoc You can look at the current mission and copy the call for the ai spawning. As long as your server file waits until after Vemf is running to spawn ai, it'll work fine. You would need to change the one BOOL, and there may be problems with the last group not being added. Rewriting the AI spawning is on the todo list.

The idea with customChat was this. All of the epoch radio channels are custom chat channels. With the command customChat working, instead of checking each player has a radio type and using systemchat on them individually, you can have an AI that is named which would instead send messages to specific radio channels just like a player does. This would let every player with that radio see the message, and be like you actually heard it over the radio.

Since customChat doesn't work, the few choices left are hints or markers.

Hints seem too obvious, and I don't like the idea of global markers.

I would do actual sound announced missions, but that would require recording voiceovers for every city on the map. It's feasible for generic missions, but not for city invasions.

Moving to createMarkerLocal on the clientside will probably be what I'll have to do unless I can get customChat to work.

@Havoc You can look at the current mission and copy the call for the ai spawning. As long as your server file waits until after Vemf is running to spawn ai, it'll work fine. You would need to change the one BOOL, and there may be problems with the last group not being added. Rewriting the AI spawning is on the todo list.

Thanks man, I'll give it a go.

You said customChat isn't working? Is that what's in the current version? Because I put this on my test server last night and we could see the radio chatter, doesn't appear broken to me. Possibly something limiting it though, maybe the Epoch AH because we aren't using it.

Thanks man, I'll give it a go.

You said customChat isn't working? Is that what's in the current version? Because I put this on my test server last night and we could see the radio chatter, doesn't appear broken to me. Possibly something limiting it though, maybe the Epoch AH because we aren't using it.

The current version of VEMF uses systemChat. There's a branch on the github with radio stuff added, but it's not working right now for multiple reasons.

Ahh right, so it actually looks like it comes from a user, now that's cool! Why would they block that?

I assume so hackers couldn't pass messages between channels or something.

Thanks for this i so want to use it to keep my players busy but i done all the readme says but nothing happens in the server at all? any idea? thanks

Are you getting a message from VEMF in your server.rpt 1min after the first player joins?

Does anyone on your server have a radio?

No biggie I'll stick to the first version still as I like the way it works. I just mark occupied towns myself and the loot crates....well they can deal with it a little longer. Rather not have a fast timeout then a decent loot crate.

The timeout only applies to reaching the mission. Once someone reaches it within 15mins, it won't timeout.

The A version spawns a mission and sits there until someone comes, which means the radio message never gets rebroadcast. This was the fix for that.

Vamp I am running this with SEM but I cant seem to get them to work at the same time...Kilo and you both have a init.sqf I tried to place yours right above his in the same sqf as well as placing your on the bottom...Is there a better place or should I dig in and make a sqf 1 and 2

Post your combined init and I'll let you know what's wrong.

• Richie unlocked this topic