Why ruin the game

reaperz73

I put this as a response in another thread but decided i would start a thread with it as well.

I really see nothing wrong with vanilla , most changes I see people make are to make it easier for the players, which to me ruins the game, it is supposed to be a survival mod and what is the first thing people do , they turn off rotorlib, put banks in the trader cities, put drop boxes marked on the map with full bases inside, to make it easier for the players . To me if you want an easy game and just shoot stuff and not have fun with role play and getting immersed into what I see in vanilla epoch( a fine open world survival mod) then they should just go play COD or GO. Why ruin the game and make it easier. I say make it harder. I myself plan on staying vanilla on my server, I may add some missions but those will be difficult and prizes gained by them will be earned.

I am eager to see the changes the devs will be making. I want to see if they can make it something you can fully immerse your self into  and feel like you

are trying to survive in post apocalypse conditions and see if you can stay alive and rule the Island of Altis or whatever map they do finally end up with.

Then play on our Official server :)

Extra vehicles have been added - Altis is far too big to walk, food is rare so stamina is always low, extra vehicles are not game breaking

Maintenance time is 14 days - Bases are hard to build, 14 days seems sensible for casual players

We also have the last 45 minutes dark, things that go bump in the night come out then :d

I'm dedicated to not bastardizing my server. I'll be keeping my server as vanilla as is reasonable. No towing, third party missions, free stuff, etc. Vehicles are limited to around 100, so covet them if you can get your hands on them. The base maintenance was increased from 1 week to 2 and to make things awesome, we have a 4 hour cycle of day/night.

Then play on our Official server :)

Extra vehicles have been added - Altis is far too big to walk, food is rare so stamina is always low, extra vehicles are not game breaking

Maintenance time is 14 days - Bases are hard to build, 14 days seems sensible for casual players

We also have the last 45 minutes dark, things that go bump in the night come out then :D

I have but I have my own server and community we are at about 3 hour day and 1 hour night, a few extra vehicles. 

As a server owner and admin for some time I can tell you, its not what we want as a game that our servers end up. Its what makes them popular, this brings in members for our communities and donations to help keep servers running. I prefer the survival aspect of the game, yet most players like God mode in traders, base god mode and stuff like that. We know what will draw them in, so that is what we are asking for. Sure, vanilla is great, but if all the servers were vanilla why would you not just join the first one. Server owners want ways to make their server draw in players and keep them. 

As a server owner and admin for some time I can tell you, its not what we want as a game that our servers end up. Its what makes them popular, this brings in members for our communities and donations to help keep servers running. I prefer the survival aspect of the game, yet most players like God mode in traders, base god mode and stuff like that. We know what will draw them in, so that is what we are asking for. Sure, vanilla is great, but if all the servers were vanilla why would you not just join the first one. Server owners want ways to make their server draw in players and keep them. 

I prefer to build my player base buy building bonds with them, we have a great group of people . We help them not just give them stuff we run with them help them loot we join groups and help them take on others. Last time I looked there was no god mode at walmart

I completely disagree with you on this one, Why should servers be forced to play it how YOU want. If they enjoy having more cars, and easy bases, how does this hurt you? You aren't forced to play on these sort of servers. Yes its not what the dev's envisioned, but still. they run official vanilla servers for those who want to play a vanilla experience. Why bitch and complain about servers innovating to get a higher player-base, its working for them, congratulations. you are whining over nothing. "then they should just go play COD or GO." They choose to play this mod the way they want. Stop being a kid and complaining about stuff that has nothing to do with you and frankly doesn't effect you.

I completely disagree with you on this one, Why should servers be forced to play it how YOU want. If they enjoy having more cars, and easy bases, how does this hurt you? You aren't forced to play on these sort of servers. Yes its not what the dev's envisioned, but still. they run official vanilla servers for those who want to play a vanilla experience. Why bitch and complain about servers innovating to get a higher player-base, its working for them, congratulations. you are whining over nothing. "then they should just go play COD or GO." They choose to play this mod the way they want. Stop being a kid and complaining about stuff that has nothing to do with you and frankly doesn't effect you.

LOL dude I am not a dev, I said how I run my server , did you not read  ... DUH

LOL dude I am not a dev, I said how I run my server , did you not read  ... DUH

Well the fact i never called you a dev,  (you didnt read) what i did say was that the dev's envisioned this mod as a hardcore survival. Not you.

My exact exert: "Yes its not what the dev's envisioned" I never called you a dev.

This. 

Most servers have SLIGHT tweaks. Mine for example has the OLD flight model the mod was started with and a little increased loot due to me getting a lot of new to epoch players. if there's hundreds of you Vanilla only players where the hell are ya. I been looking for you all for a week. 

This. 

Most servers have SLIGHT tweaks. Mine for example has the OLD flight model the mod was started with and a little increased loot due to me getting a lot of new to epoch players. if there's hundreds of you Vanilla only players where the hell are ya. I been looking for you all for a week. 

People like to bitch over stuff that they don't need to. The community is just opening up variation for different types of players. Some dont have much time and want to hop in, make a fast base and get into some shooting, some like spending 6-7 hours on a server loot hoarding.

People like to bitch over stuff that they don't need to. The community is just opening up variation for different types of players. Some dont have much time and want to hop in, make a fast base and get into some shooting, some like spending 6-7 hours on a server loot hoarding.

The thing I am complaining about is over modding, and setting up pay to play. If you have to pay to play most likely you just suck at the game lol

Yep

I hoarded for 16 play hours before i could start my base off. its nice for them to have a little help. especially with all the new people getting involved. My server will stay vanilla for as long as the players want it. I have about 8 regular players at the moment and its damn hard to fill it up. 

I am paying to keep the server up I will do what it takes to make sure the regulars have fun. that's what communities are xD 

Yep

I hoarded for 16 play hours before i could start my base off. its nice for them to have a little help. especially with all the new people getting involved. My server will stay vanilla for as long as the players want it. I have about 8 regular players at the moment and its damn hard to fill it up. 

I am paying to keep the server up I will do what it takes to make sure the regulars have fun. that's what communities are xD 

We do help out players we run around with them and help them get looted up , but nah we are not gonna just hand it to them

From what i learned back in dayz era. 70% of the people who played on my non vanilla server liked it because: 

1. They didn't have hours to dedicate to playing the game the way it was designed originally. (I.E. spending days before finding a broken vehicle and hours finding supplies to fix it). Gamers have lives to. 
2. They loved the idea of the game and wanted to experience it in a faster pace. 

I think to argue with how people have different opinions on how to run/enjoy a server is ridiculous. We should embrace every server being different and enjoy those differences. One day i might feel like spending more time playing the game and join a "vanilla server". Another day i want to drive my car into a (shark) tornado for the lawls...

Give people the creative freedom to do what they want. We don't all have to be the same. <3

Exactly what I was tying to say. If ever server out there was "Vanilla" then there would be no draw to one or the other. Our server is running the basic flight and a few extra vehicles, other than that it is vanilla, but once we hit 1.0 its on. By having servers with "different stuff" we make it so players can find what fits their game play. We normally run more than one server with a variety of things from Vanilla up. 

Don't hate just because you don't like it. Just don't play on it. Simple. 

Exactly what I was tying to say. If ever server out there was "Vanilla" then there would be no draw to one or the other. Our server is running the basic flight and a few extra vehicles, other than that it is vanilla, but once we hit 1.0 its on. By having servers with "different stuff" we make it so players can find what fits their game play. We normally run more than one server with a variety of things from Vanilla up. 

Don't hate just because you don't like it. Just don't play on it. Simple. 

Yep, i mean i've sat down this entire week in the arma 3 editor, browsing forums, speaking to dev's in streams, finding out what we can and can't do. I've been sitting here all week working out custom features, how to add custom buildings, enhancing the gameplay and such. 

The thing I am complaining about is over modding, and setting up pay to play. If you have to pay to play most likely you just suck at the game lol

No most people have pay to play to pay for the ridiculous server costs. A decent system will run you about 200 a month and more if you happen to host a server in Europe where Euro's come into play. It isn't cheap.

I on the other hand will be enjoying modding the shit out of my server by 1.0. I was popular on Arma 2 and i'll be back at it again on Arma 3. Epoch on arma 2 used to have official servers and well look where that went when they allowed modding. It was a barren wasteland.

Dude me and you are ment to be together if you ever feel like chatting hit me up on ts you funny as hell.

Yep, im still against the whole "you cant donate for perks" because in the EU a arma 3 server ( a decent one) can run £50+ i mean we pay about that for our dedi-box and had to setup all the OS, all the files and such manually and it runs fine, but most people don't have the technical know how to do alot of this. Meaning they go and buy a server on a virtual machine in a data-centre which is running a VM and have a crappy performing server. but alas, rules be rules.

Edit: We run two arma 3 servers on this box now and never reach anywhere near what we pay for. But VM servers run like crap in my experience.