Server Performance

Iv0ry

Question

Hi Folks,

at first i am new in the Server-Admin business and unfortunately I do not manage a lot of them. :d

I own a pretty sweet Windows Root Server (2 x 2,4 GHz | 4 GB | 1TB HDD) and i wannt to run an

DayZ Epoch Cherno Server.

Today there was about ~20 Players on the Server and the Server fps are around 9fps -.- (The CPU was about 55%-75% 2,8Gb RAM in use) thats pretty low i think. Nobody said anything about lag but i think the server is running on his peak, is thats right?

Why he was so highly admire with so little players count? To smal cpu/ram or its more the db = hdd writes?
What can i do to get a bit more Performance? Or is my Server cap 20 players at my hardware?

I am grateful for any answer

Iv0ry

7 answers to this question

Its the CPU thats bottlenecking you. DayZ Devs stated that you need a Quadcore CPU with atleast 4x 3,0ghz to host a DayZ Server.

Since Epoch is even more performance eating, i suggest you to get atleast a CPU with 4x 3,4ghz with additional Boost-feature.

It really depends on which CPU you have, don't stare down on clockspeeds, since A good XEON cpu with 2.4 ghz will most likely be better then a desktop cpu running on 3.0GHZ, so before buying a other CPU, give us a name and model number.

Clockspeed doesn't tell the whole story :P

That's a very low-end server, and old hardware. Scrap that and go with something larger. As the others mentioned, a dual core CPU isn't going to handle game servers of this magnitude very well. When the server is populated, it's going to have a hard time keeping up which is what your facing already. A basic ideal server would be a quad-core CPU, 8GB+ RAM, and higher end SATA or SSD preferably. You can find some great deals out there.

Now i have: Intel Sandy Bridge G530 ~> 2 x 2,4 GHz |  I can change (chep) to an: AMD Opteron™ 1381 ~> 4 x 2,5 GHz

Can i do some changes on the Server himself actual to push a bit more  Performance out it with commands or something?

Is interesting that a quad core is required as arma struggles with using all of them. Reason is that arma wants them 2 cores all to itself and normal server processes get in the way.

HDD access is definitely a big cause of lag, reducing the logs and providing a dedicated and well optimised mysql server will go a long way.

I once experimented, some years back, with a quake 3 server. Based on Windows98 it did nothing beyond the required networking, loaded in dos, as the game engine took over everything else, we called it Q3OS and it ran like a dream and performed better than dedicated servers.. We used spares from our previous gaming pcs.

Maybe a stripped down server: ARMA2OAOS would work :) might need to put it behind a firewall though.