What is the purpose of trader cities?

BetterDeadThanZed

I've not worked that out yet either :unsure: traders on spawn island serve no purpose.

Fresh spawns have nothing to sell and no Krypto to buy

If you are on Server1 and switch to Server2, on Server2 your character will spawn with full gear (assuming the database of both servers are connected) in the normal spawn, and hence the traders allow you to buy and sell gear.

This is why.

I would love, though, if all traders shared the same loot so it doesn't matter which trader you access, the trader sells the same; and there would be different traders for different types of things, such as one trader for tools and weapons and ammunition, one for vehicles, one for building supply, etc.

This would make sense out of 3 traders being in the same vicinity.

Since I'm pretty sure most servers don't have shared databases, that doesn't seem like the real reason why there are trader cities. Maybe they were just added by the devs because Dayz Epoch had it and they thought it was a good idea. Maybe there's future plans for the traders. I personally like the idea that traders only have what is sold to them. It was something I was toying with in Dayz Epoch but ran into an issue where if a trader's inventory was set to 0, you could still buy one, then it went to -1. 

I wonder what the chances are of a dev chiming in, even if it's just a hint of something...

All official servers, to my understanding, are on one "hive" - like in DayZ Standalone.

No they are not.

Traders are at the spawn island because of the old respawn option that has since been removed.  And I think the traders cities are there to provide some sort of protection to fresh spawns before they venture out. Also now with the banking a fressh spawn could run to the nearest town and withdraw krypto and run back to trader city a purchase items.

You cannot get back into spawn unless you have a helicopter. What nonsense are you spewing?

There used to be a respawn option that would simply respawn you back at spawn island in the early versions. If you played the early versions you would know what I am talking about.

No they are not.

Traders are at the spawn island because of the old respawn option that has since been removed.  And I think the traders cities are there to provide some sort of protection to fresh spawns before they venture out. Also now with the banking a fressh spawn could run to the nearest town and withdraw krypto and run back to trader city a purchase items.

They could also get their krypto and go to the nearest non-trader city trader just as easily.

I would love, though, if all traders shared the same loot so it doesn't matter which trader you access, the trader sells the same

Do NOT want. I specifically sell some items as far from my base as possible, so they wont be used on my base. Or if they want them, they'll need to travel farther. The point of the traders is to sell what they receive and make you travel to find the items.

Tactically the trader cities make less sense than mobile trading caravans that randomly shift between locales.

Stay with me on this. Trader cities aren't safe because everyone knows where they are at any given time. There is also, big surprise, one way in and one way out. Even a novice tracker/FPS tactician can pretty much understand that if they cut off the flow of individuals at these three sources they can pretty much lock down an entire server.

Secondly...the reason static trader cities make no sense is because in a world like Epoch attempts to represent, static trading outposts like this, unless heavily guarded, would be overrun by bandits faster than people could actually make them viable trading destinations. The entire idea that a bunch of people with valuables would be standing around in the same place is relatively ludicrous.

The mod is in alpha and thats as good a time as any for feedback such as this. And the simple facts are is having three mobile caravans that visit major cities and move around makes more sense from a tactical and from a realistic perspective. Most of these "trader" groups, in a post apocalyptic world, would be going where the scrounging was best, because thats where they'd get the easiest access to their stocks...and given the way supply and demand works in a world with low means of production is that just like in any hunter gatherer society, areas would slowly get exhausted and the largest consumers, which would be the trading groups, would have to wander around to keep their stocks fresh.

Now as this applies to new spawns and spawning in Epoch in general, this works just fine, because spawn points aren't completely random, but they're random enough for it to be a lot less predictable, and instead of you being just some fully spawned adult individual that just blinks into existence on some mystical island with strange alien manhole cover technology on it, you spawn in in the general area of where one of the trader groups is currently set up in....as one of the general area scavengers that supplies them with their wares....what a concept, an actual premise for being where you are at the time you arrive in the world of Epoch, rather than a magical island with alien manhole technology that basically teleports you to one of three murder holes on the map.

Spawning in a 400m radius around a city with a trading caravan that changes cities on a schedule that is potentially one of three or four major trading caravans that work various regional routes (at least in the case of Altis), as a general scavenger looking for their next meal and a few bucks sounds far more in line with what Epoch wants to be, than what it currently is.

Why not simply add a "bank atm" to spawn island and the safe zones then? problem solved.

even if you spawn in fresh, you can still withdraw and buy yourself some gear. and its not too op with the penalty system in place for deaths.

also ffs, put in some stock loot to the trader cities at least. No harm in that at all. I had to stock all my own traders which took awhile.

Do NOT want. I specifically sell some items as far from my base as possible, so they wont be used on my base. Or if they want them, they'll need to travel farther. The point of the traders is to sell what they receive and make you travel to find the items.

if i want a item out of circulation i sell it to a trader and bam lights out ,

also ffs, put in some stock loot to the trader cities at least. No harm in that at all. I had to stock all my own traders which took awhile.

I think the devs are trying to get back to the save survival feel we had with Dayz when it was first released and by not having the traders start with any gear, they are doing that. With the way the traders work now, I'm not even sure they're really needed. Why not eliminate the traders and if a player wants something, they can trade with another player (Or kill them).

I think the devs are trying to get back to the save survival feel we had with Dayz when it was first released and by not having the traders start with any gear, they are doing that. With the way the traders work now, I'm not even sure they're really needed. Why not eliminate the traders and if a player wants something, they can trade with another player (Or kill them).

So ... back to DayZ then ? Trading with no traders was the base economy of DayZ Mod , Epoch brought a new economy to the table introducing traders, if we eliminate those wont we end up with Dayz? I see your point , trader citys are somewhat pointless but traders in my opinion serve a purpose in epoch, they are a corner stone of what epoch means for me, they can sell what every player sells so new players can buy alot of important stuff to them that its not important for the seasoned player who sold them to begin with.

Admins will also be able to add stuff to the traders and take the server in the direction they want.

If you prefer having stocked traders, it is incredibly easy to add via Redis Desktop Manager. Of course that assumes you have your own server. I built some inventory lists for testing that I would be happy to share if anyone would like them. But if you're already running a server chances are you have the know-how to figure it out for yourself.

Also, regarding trader "cities" being impractical (from a storyline perspective), I have one word....Bartertown! :P

Tactically the trader cities make less sense than mobile trading caravans that randomly shift between locales.

Stay with me on this. Trader cities aren't safe because everyone knows where they are at any given time. There is also, big surprise, one way in and one way out. Even a novice tracker/FPS tactician can pretty much understand that if they cut off the flow of individuals at these three sources they can pretty much lock down an entire server.

Secondly...the reason static trader cities make no sense is because in a world like Epoch attempts to represent, static trading outposts like this, unless heavily guarded, would be overrun by bandits faster than people could actually make them viable trading destinations. The entire idea that a bunch of people with valuables would be standing around in the same place is relatively ludicrous.

The mod is in alpha and thats as good a time as any for feedback such as this. And the simple facts are is having three mobile caravans that visit major cities and move around makes more sense from a tactical and from a realistic perspective. Most of these "trader" groups, in a post apocalyptic world, would be going where the scrounging was best, because thats where they'd get the easiest access to their stocks...and given the way supply and demand works in a world with low means of production is that just like in any hunter gatherer society, areas would slowly get exhausted and the largest consumers, which would be the trading groups, would have to wander around to keep their stocks fresh.

Now as this applies to new spawns and spawning in Epoch in general, this works just fine, because spawn points aren't completely random, but they're random enough for it to be a lot less predictable, and instead of you being just some fully spawned adult individual that just blinks into existence on some mystical island with strange alien manhole cover technology on it, you spawn in in the general area of where one of the trader groups is currently set up in....as one of the general area scavengers that supplies them with their wares....what a concept, an actual premise for being where you are at the time you arrive in the world of Epoch, rather than a magical island with alien manhole technology that basically teleports you to one of three murder holes on the map.

Spawning in a 400m radius around a city with a trading caravan that changes cities on a schedule that is potentially one of three or four major trading caravans that work various regional routes (at least in the case of Altis), as a general scavenger looking for their next meal and a few bucks sounds far more in line with what Epoch wants to be, than what it currently is.

Agreed. X2

Local vending is the way to go if you want sandbox. Global vending is awful, especially with a map this size - it would defeat the point.

So ... back to DayZ then ? Trading with no traders was the base economy of DayZ Mod , Epoch brought a new economy to the table introducing traders, if we eliminate those wont we end up with Dayz? I see your point , trader citys are somewhat pointless but traders in my opinion serve a purpose in epoch, they are a corner stone of what epoch means for me, they can sell what every player sells so new players can buy alot of important stuff to them that its not important for the seasoned player who sold them to begin with.

Admins will also be able to add stuff to the traders and take the server in the direction they want.

Epoch is more than the traders. Now, with traders that only sell what is sold to them, and traders able to buy and sell everything, trader cities are not needed. We don't need "Safe zones". We need random spawns with no spawn island and no safe trader areas. Right now the only thing krypto is good for is for maintaining your base because pretty much everything sold to a trader is the excess stuff people don't want and that could be changed to use something else, like energy, to maintain your base, then traders could be eliminated totally. Quite honestly, if I could change it so you could use energy to maintain your base, I'd want to remove the traders from my server completely.

Its good to see people feeling the same way in regards to dynamic, mobile trader groups.

I think traders are a staple of Epoch, I also have no issue with the economy being entirely supply and demand rather than the traders literally being Wal-mart's like they became on so many Epoch servers in A2.

I shouldn't just be able to go BUY enough cinder blocks to build a castle...that just took all the challenge out of Epoch entirely and to be fair it shitted up servers so badly that it took ages for them to reload and nothing is more fun than having to deal with a server that has to be restarted every 2 hours and takes 15 minutes to load all objects on a restart afterwards, just cause people infinite stock their traders with enough buyable supplies for someone with an MTVR full of guns to effectively trade for enough materials to build their own Edinburgh Castle. It was just inane.

It shitted up the game horribly. It shitted up servers horribly.

In all fairness I don't think the SQL tables for server traders should ever be editable in Epoch again but that'll never happen.

But at least if they move around, people have to put effort into finding them so they can complete their mission to shit up an entire server for everyone else by insisting on building a 20 bedroom, 12 bath mansion for themselves in the apocalypse.