Dogs...:(

semipr0

So...dogs.

I get that they'd be feral after a time. But I can't quite tell whether dogs are hostile or not. Generally they just seem to follow me around when they find me. I'm assuming that the higher your soiled rating the more likely it is they will attack you..but, also...the main issue is, because I'm unsure when they'll go hostile, also because their barking tends to alert others to my general locale....I almost invariably have to shoot them.

I'm not super cool with having to shoot dogs...especially dogs that appear to be happy to see a two legger walking around.

Call me a wimp or a softie if you want but its kind of just one of those things I find personally troubling.

Now shooting people...thats just fine cause generally the people will kill you faster than you can say hello. Dogs on the other hand just seem to be happy someones around....until they apparently aren't..then they eat you.

Anyways, just a thought I had.

So...dogs.

I get that they'd be feral after a time. But I can't quite tell whether dogs are hostile or not. Generally they just seem to follow me around when they find me. I'm assuming that the higher your soiled rating the more likely it is they will attack you..but, also...the main issue is, because I'm unsure when they'll go hostile, also because their barking tends to alert others to my general locale....I almost invariably have to shoot them.

I'm not super cool with having to shoot dogs...especially dogs that appear to be happy to see a two legger walking around.

Call me a wimp or a softie if you want but its kind of just one of those things I find personally troubling.

Now shooting people...thats just fine cause generally the people will kill you faster than you can say hello. Dogs on the other hand just seem to be happy someones around....until they apparently aren't..then they eat you.

Anyways, just a thought I had.

Would you rather have barking humans that follows you around?

Would you rather have barking humans that follows you around?

Yes, preferably. Humans aren't helpess animals....and the dogs in Epoch look like helpess housepets that are just dying to have someone to be their friend.

Perhaps if they were less friendly outright, I'd have less issues with it.

If they are going to attack you'll know as they will come right up to you for a bite. Is hunger that really drives them. Once tamed, they will become more vocal, whining more often when really hungry and getting close to turning on you. I will check but the barking was set to local only, Awol may have updated.

There will be more updates for man's best feral friend soon.

If they are going to attack you'll know as they will come right up to you for a bite. Is hunger that really drives them. Once tamed, they will become more vocal, whining more often when really hungry and getting close to turning on you. I will check but the barking was set to local only, Awol may have updated.

There will be more updates for man's best feral friend soon.

Well if they're tamable thats okay. I don't mind having a dog along for the journey and all that, the issue is the noise. Especially if you go somewhere they can't go, like the second floor of a building for example...they bark repeatedly to the point of literally making me want to throw my 300 dollar Sennheisers against the wall.

If tamed, dogs should be relatively quiet I'd assume, long as their fed they have less to complain about.

Yeah... I've noticed this as well. All the cards are stacked against the door. Bark bark bark. Ok... is it "aggroing" on me? Bark bark bark. Ok, it's coming for me. Is it friendly? Bark bark bark. Ok... it's friendly. But it's giving away my position, both visually and audibly. Bark bark bark. Oh... taming it isn't going to make it shut up?

Bark bark... bang. 

Sad story. Lassie dies at the end. Every time. :(

Dogs are more of an annoyance right now than a benefit. BUT I want dogs and they will get better over time as we all know. Problem(s) right now are, server doesn't save them at all on exit so taming is pointless, can't command them, can't take them in vehicles, don't know if they are happy/sad/aggressive, sound bug etc. I have also noticed a sound bug sometimes when they bark where one dog bark turns into 30 dog barks non stop. But with time this will all be cured and be awesome!

great troll man thumbs up , if not I fear for the education system where you reside.

Unfortunately we have kids like yourself running around, who've been indoctrinated into a self-refuting philosophical position known as naturalism.

The point is simple: physical objects such as brains, bodies, or what have you, cannot possess the property of emotional states such as being happy, sad, angry, being in pain, and all the rest.

In other words, if dogs are just physical things, they cannot possess emotional states and are not individuals (I know this is sophisticated stuff for someone on your level, but try to read into the words, that might help you).

Unfortunately we have kids like yourself running around, who've been indoctrinated into a self-refuting philosophical position known as naturalism.

The point is simple: physical objects such as brains, bodies, or what have you, cannot possess the property of emotional states such as being happy, sad, angry, being in pain, and all the rest.

In other words, if dogs are just physical things, they cannot possess emotional states and are not individuals (I know this is sophisticated stuff for someone on your level, but try to read into the words, that might help you).

I feel sorry for you and your lack of empathy. 

Do you know if they are made of meat? 

In all fairness everything that develops a muscular structure is technically edible, even Fugu Fish...which are horridly detrimental to the gastrointestinal system if prepared incorrectly...are edible as long as you know what bits are which.

While the general layman couldn't possibly take a flensing axe to a cow and produce perfect shank, loin and butt cuts, its a good bet that even John Neckbeard, Conqueror of Grandmothers Basement....given enough extremity, could work out a way to kill a cow and produce at least some edible elements of the animal....even if those pieces did end up a bit hairy and oozy due to John Neckbeard not understanding that Big Mac's are shaved, skinned and deboned previous to becoming Big Macs.

That said...even as someone that doesn't like to kill dogs, from a survivalist standpoint, if its me or the dog...it'll probably be me, humans are animals too after all, and some kind of haunch or rib meat from a dog is bound to be more nutrionally helpful than a can of "bio" meat...which I guess is meat that is vaguely considered to have come from some kind of living animal?

Overall from a survival standpoint...just about anything that metabolizes protein ends up being something that can be metabolized for protein by something else.

Did you know Epoch was banned from China because the player can't eat dog? True story ... lol

Also i love the quote "Dogs do not have souls and therefore do not have feelings; so they do not suffer"... this is getting to religious for me. What the fudge is a soul? Can i trade it for krypto? Will it make my bad feelings go away? My chronical farting too ?

Its a freaking game, nobody should care if the dogs are shot in the face, kicked in the but , run over by a truck or get eaten by a shark, its not a actual dog, its a bunch of ones and zeros, its troubles me for people to be ready and able to kill other players ( characters ) but feel bad about a dog character in a game. Come on are you serious?

How about cutting trees? Do you know global warming is a real issue? How about the stupid ammount of gas the helis spend? Should'nt axeman spend some time developing an hybrid vehicle just to be safe

Geez!

thank you for proving my point , you are bordering on idiocy (no need to read into those words). stay off the weed and the self help books.

Is this thread still going ? :lol:

Seriously people, grow some balls and get on with life, it's not a real dog, it's just some code and images that make it look like a dog, killing it, making love to it or adopting it won't stop the world from turning.

Is there a part of the "feedback" process that you don't understand?

Its not that I'm being a bleeding heart here, I'm actually providing legitimate feedback.

The current implementation of dogs is problematic from a visual recognition perspective. A hostile dog and a non-hostile dog, in the current iteration, is not something you can immediately differentiate. Also, even if the barking is client side only, a dog that is obviously heading in a direction that is not your own direction is more than likely following someone else, making dogs something of a tell tale sign that theres a trail worth following.

I don't like having to shoot dogs, but I will if needed cause it is just a game, but being put into a scenario where I can't tell if I need to shoot a dog or not or having to weigh the benefit of having a dog following me around against the dog giving away my general position to others against just shooting it and moving on is kind of an issue for me as a immersion based player.

Its feedback, so stop being a man baby about your point of view.