heli flying hovers like a rock?

robertth1988

hi just wondering if anyone else is having an issue with the landing of choppers. i played epoch on the mod and was more than capable of flying on there.

now i understand that the new advanced flight is much harder which a think is great but at this rate i wont bother flying at all which is ruining the game for me a little.

not sure if the problem is because i don't have the dlc (i don't try to fly the choppers that come with the dlc btw) 

anyway it goes like this no matter which speed or angle i try. as soon as i go in to a hover (and even tried this with auto hover on) to come to land on the ground everything is ok but the second i tip the nose back or forward or any other fine adjustments (and i mean FINE adjustments) the thing drops "like a rock". even if a go pedal to the metal with throttle it just continues to drop "like a rock". 

now i cant stress how careful I've been but doesn't matter how hard i try. i crash land everytime. 

is anyone else having this problem or should i just throw away my aviator shades and admit defeat and leave the flying to the pros.

ps if i posted this in the wrong place or anything like that im sorry im new to forums. cheers folks

That, to me, sounds like you're getting your heli into a vortex ring state. Simply put, if you're a little too high from the ground for ground effect to hold you up and moving slowly your rotors can get caught in an updraft and the blades stop being able to produce enough lift. The only way out is to pick a direction and move as fast as you can.

EDIT: ninja'd

It's totally impossible to fly a helicopter with KB/mouse.

For some reason I can't get it to work in the Editor like it does in Epoch so I wasn't able to check how it works with my joystick. I also miss the dials stuff, thought that was part of the DLC but I don't have that in the Editor

For some reason I can't get it to work in the Editor like it does in Epoch so I wasn't able to check how it works with my joystick. I also miss the dials stuff, thought that was part of the DLC but I don't have that in the Editor

have you selected advanced flightmodel in the game settings?

Well flying is not the problem, getting that piece of shit to the ground is. 
It's lying trying to land an MV-22 inside a castle while it randomly starts dropping like a rock.

Gotta play around with it a bit in the editor but as it is right now I can't get it to work properly and it takes me 5 minutes to land a damn Taru for sellage

Well flying is not the problem, getting that piece of shit to the ground is. 

It's lying trying to land an MV-22 inside a castle while it randomly starts dropping like a rock.

Gotta play around with it a bit in the editor but as it is right now I can't get it to work properly and it takes me 5 minutes to land a damn Taru for sellage

The point is that's what happens in the real world..

RVS is where the air being pushed down out and then back up is then sucked into the rotors, when this happens the lift of the rotors is lost and the heli drops like a rock.. This state only happens when descending with no lateral movement above ground effect or 1-1.5 times the height of the diameter of the rotor blades circumfrance. You can avoid this by just moving forward slightly so the rotor wash isn't directly underneath the heli while descending.

if you dont have the dials in the editor chances are you dont have the advanced flying on, if you go to configure and game itll be on the first screen on the left.

helis defiantly need sooooo much patience with adv. on, each heli has its own characteristics and you just need seat time for each to figure it out. the mohawk is a fucking tank and is the worst to fly/land. for most helis though its safe to descend around 5 m/s (there is an altitude gauge which you can see this) 

but yeah if you get caught in the vortex ring state youre pretty much screwed 

I fly with kb/mouse. It took a bit of getting used too, especially when they added VRS but definetely not impossible. It just requires A Lot more patience then before. You cant expect to descend 200m and land in 5 seconds.

Another way too counter the ring state is when your chopper starts dropping, Jam the throttle all the way up and max out the rpms while easing forward/backwards. Then when you even out you can adjust the throttle back rather quickly to descend at a normal rate without dropping.

• 2 weeks later...

I fly the DCS Huey much more proficiently than the ARMA birds.   The DCS flight model is much more fluid and predictable 

DCS is a full blown flight sim. Arma well is not even close. I fly both and flying in Arma is a walk in the park and somewhat disgusts me.

I would say that if Arma could coinside with DCS world I would be in bliss.. But that will never happen since EagleDynamics have their nose so High in the air and is hollier then Tho you will never see FPS in it.

But even if it did coinside you would never hear then end of the whining from the ARMA-FPS players crying about being endlessly ravaged by 30 mike mike, GBUS, CBUS and those russian weapons .

Just think about it, a nice little FPS battle going on and a single A10c comes in and precision blows everything up. in a single pass with some mark82airs then finishes off the last few players with the gau and it's 30 mike mike puff the magic dragon rounds!

Ohh sorry for rambling on I would be so much in bliss to obliterate 30 real time players in a matter of seconds.. kindof like when EA was considering allowing cross platform gaming PC with consoles. Just not going to work.