A3 Epoch Headless Clients : Walkthrough UPDATED:Dec 22nd

hogscraper

This is what we use with the help from this thread and others surrounding AI Mission scripts feel free to try it out!

https://github.com/Liam0/Headless-client

Still got a few issues with spawning in vehicles even with all the varibles set.

This only run 1 mission at a time. Files should be easy to tweak if you want more or less units.

It cleans up units and props after mission ends before starting a new one.

Ai don't shoot trough walls and they seem pretty balanced compared to alot of the things i've seen in the last few days :)

Got an awesome mission system in the legion server now but I'm still not able to keep spawned vehicles ran by my server side script persisting when approached, doppelgänger code is still buttfucking my _aivehicles array.

Has anyone had any luck with vehicle persistence server side after bypassing the doppelgänger clean up 'delete allUnits' function.. ?

Me and a few other hosts have been collabing via Skype and have a great system, we would love to get another on the team who has the answer to the vehicles cleanup. =]

This is what we use with the help from this thread and others surrounding AI Mission scripts feel free to try it out!

Still got a few issues with spawning in vehicles even with all the varibles set.

This only run 1 mission at a time. Files should be easy to tweak if you want more or less units.

Ai don't shoot trough walls and they seem pretty balanced compared to alot of the things i've seen in the last few days :)

Thank you so much for posting this. I look forward to running it on my test server this evening.

works fine!

Yes, I've tried so many different things in the launch command. Currently I am using this one: arma3server.exe -client -connect=69.162.93.229 -port=2300 -mod="@Epoch" But as soon as the HC connects, it gets a steam ticket check failed: [null]

battleyelicense = 1 in your server config.cfg?

Outside of that, I think you need to actually run Arma3 on the machine so you can accept the license agreement.

Other than manually accepting be tos, the only time I have seen that error is when the client randomly crashes. I have googled that one before trying to figure out why it happened and a Bohemia thread was talking about that being a generic response to a client crash. 

Bots on the machine does not respond. How can I solve the problem.

Not sure what you mean. The AI you spawn are just standing around? Do they fire back if fired upon?

Bots shoot only in person. When a car goes by it they don't shoot.

By car you can crush all the bots and they will not be for me to shoot.

Strange, I was actually about to report back here that vehicles were useless. When I use this to spawn AI, I can drive right through them but it doesn't hurt them at all. It also takes them a few seconds but they will shoot at me while driving a car. What vehicle are you using? I know from Arma 2 that many times, AI routines break because people allow tanks and other heavy vehicles on their server but the AI will ignore those types of vehicles if they aren't carrying anti-armor weapons. So, if you show up in a tank, they might ignore you simply because their rifles won't hurt the vehicle and they know it. Giving the AI launchers and ammo will prompt them into firing on larger vehicles but you will then have to change the code to delete those weapons on AI death if you don't want an absurd amount of launchers on your server.

I haven't yet seen any AI get killed by running over yet. Will do some more testing tonight but that may just mean that I have to add an eventhandler to the aI so that they despawn when killed by a vehicle. I believe DZMS or WAI have something like that where they delete the AI's gear when people kill them with vehicles.

Other than manually accepting be tos, the only time I have seen that error is when the client randomly crashes. I have googled that one before trying to figure out why it happened and a Bohemia thread was talking about that being a generic response to a client crash. 

Yeah, I pretty much scrapped the HC temporarily, and have been working on other mission systems people have been posting. Running into some weird issues here and there, so still a lot of work to do before things are more in a polished state. Thanks for the help!

• 4 weeks later...

Second coming,

I edited my mission.sqm file. Changed the 1st Groups class to hold the HC.

This will make the HC 'player' immune to damage, and keep him from starving to death! (That was my initial problem LOL)

He will be visible, standing in the clone lab.

Also, you will need to add an exception to your BE Scripts file to excuse the 'enableSimulation false' statement.

The value you place in the 'text' field should be the name the HC appears as for admins. So if you need to kick it to reinitialize missions you know what name to look for! :)

class Item0
	{
            side="LOGIC";
            class Vehicles
            {
                items=1;
                class Item0
                {
                    position[]={10720.502,12.714643,11356.243};
                    id=100;
                    side="LOGIC";
                    vehicle="HeadlessClient_F";
                    player="PLAY CDG";
                    init="this enableSimulation false; this allowDamage false";
                    leader=1;
                    skill=0.60000002;
                    text="HC_HAL";
                };
            };
      };

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

Got 2 PC 

PC 1 is server with HC

PC 2 is GamingPC, i use this one to play A3 on my server (PC1)

On PC 1, HC get kicked off my server, again and again and again.

---------------

"cd\arma3server

arma3server.exe -client -connect=127.0.0.1 -mod=@Epoch;@EpochHive"

Correct?
---------------
BE filter : ok

Mission sqm :

class Item100
{
side="LOGIC";
class Vehicles
{
items=1;
class Item0
{
                    position[]={10720.502,12.714643,11356.243};
                    id=100;
                    side="LOGIC";
                    vehicle="HeadlessClient_F";
                    player="PLAY CDG";
                    init="this enableSimulation false; this allowDamage false";
                    leader=1;
                    skill=0.60000002;
                    text="HC_HAL";
};
};
};

like horbin's one.

config.cfg : 
//HC
headlessClients[]={"127.0.0.1"};

Still kicked off my server...
Need help

What I've found with testing HC is that the Epoch client code takes over and switches the Headless Client unit into a player unit, which causes a few other problems since the HC is now a visible mortal object and can be seen and killed. This means whatever init statements you set on the HC in the mission.sqm is meaningless after the first few seconds of the HC logging in.

Immortality can be easily set, but using hideObjectGlobal to hide the HC unit is impossible due to the Epoch antihack (can't set an HC as admin). Forcibly replacing the player unit (Epoch_Male_F) with the original HC unit (HeadlessClient_F) causes the HC to be kicked.

My question is what other workarounds are there to hide the HC unit, or is the only solution to move it elsewhere?

What I've found with testing HC is that the Epoch client code takes over and switches the Headless Client unit into a player unit, which causes a few other problems since the HC is now a visible mortal object and can be seen and killed. This means whatever init statements you set on the HC in the mission.sqm is meaningless after the first few seconds of the HC logging in.

Immortality can be easily set, but using hideObjectGlobal to hide the HC unit is impossible due to the Epoch antihack (can't set an HC as admin). Forcibly replacing the player unit (Epoch_Male_F) with the original HC unit (HeadlessClient_F) causes the HC to be kicked.

My question is what other workarounds are there to hide the HC unit, or is the only solution to move it elsewhere?

You could always place him inside an empty clone tube :D

localClient[]={127.0.0.1};
headlessClients[] = {"127.0.0.1"};
battleyeLicense=1;

Do the battleyeLicense=1 thing.

Also, if you are using the arma3.exe in -client mode:  make a copy of the .exe and rename it.  This way the log files will be unique.

Still kick off

319547Capture.png

im using arma3server.exe.

I have not worried too much about hiding it. Though I have run into some issues where I suspect the HC is starving to death.

Hiding the HC and fixing the starving issues are something I have on the 'list of things to do' when a full release of EPOCH comes out.

There are just somethings that can be handled more gracefully at the core server level with a couple of exception statements.

Anyway, making it immune to damage seems to work, and players no longer feel alone in the clone lab :)