A3 Epoch Headless Clients : Walkthrough UPDATED:Dec 22nd

hogscraper

You can use the arma3server.exe with the -client option to connect as an HC. If you are doing this from a machine different from the server, make sure you include the HC's IP in the server configuration file

I tried that on client and vps system. Had to rename arma3server.exe to something else to get it to work.

init="this enableSimulation false; this allowDamage false";

Add this to the HC's class description in the mission.sqm.  It will at least make it immune to damage.

I am having a problem with my HC starving to death....I think :)  Hoping this will fix it.  

Still need to remember how I made the HC invisible in Arma2 though :(

And how to make the player HC was not visible or invisible in the game, and then he's standing on the spawn.

Add this to the HC's class description in the mission.sqm.  It will at least make it immune to damage.

I am having a problem with my HC starving to death....I think :)  Hoping this will fix it.  

Still need to remember how I made the HC invisible in Arma2 though :(

You could also add a publicvariableserver to get the server to make the HC invulnerable and move him somewhere off map. Not sure if allowdamage stops things that auto kill you like drowning but it seems like the gradual damage from starvation or dehydration should be. I will test it out a bit and add to the OP if I come up with anything relevant on that.

can anyone post what there mission.sqm hc slot looks like so I know im not adding hc slot wrong also idk why it wouldn't be loading epoch when I use arma3server.exe -client -connect=69.162.93.230 -port=2300 -mod="@epoch"; does my @epoch folder need to be somewhere different than where it is normally when i connect as regular player and play. also i do have my ip address in my server.cfg since im running it of my computer.

class Item100
{
side="LOGIC";
class Vehicles
{
items=1;
class Item0
{
position[]={10720.502,12.714643,11356.243};
id=100;
side="LOGIC";
vehicle="HeadlessClient_F";
player="PLAY CDG";
leader=1;
skill=0.60000002;
text="HC_HAL";
};
};
};

At the top of the  Group class, increment items to 101.
Also, need to increase maxplayers to 101 in description.ext

3rd, make sure in your SC/config.cfg  add the following
headlessClients[] = {127.0.0.1, 69.162,93.230};

Note, if the '69.x' ip is the same machine as your server you don't need to have it in the list, just the 127.0.0.1 ip.

And I am assuming you are running your server on 2300, not 2302.

C:\Games\ArmA3\arma3server.exe -client -connect=127.0.0.1 -mod="@Epoch" -profile="HC_HAL" -name="HC_HAL"

This is my launch line.  I use a different profile for each HC, so I can control which HC executes specific code at start. Also, there are times where the HC seems to not connect fully and just connects as generic 'headlessclient' and I am able to check for the profile name and kick the offending HC and force it to reconnect.

(trying to figure out the 'kick' portion right now, actually :) )

thank you, ill give it a try again using you stuff and see also my hc is from my computer and my server is hosted by gtx so the ip is not the same so im my server.cfg do I want to add my computers ips like this headlessClients[] = {192.168.0.1, 96.3.173.237}; or what should I put

is there something im misunderstanding about this. Do I have to have a server or something running on my computer too to be able to run I headless client on my server I have hosted by gtx. What im doing right now is putting the edited pbo with the edited mission.sqm on my gtx hosted server and running it on there then im setting up a headless client on my computer and trying to connect to the gtx server from my computer with it. all im doing on my home computer is making the bat file with the launch parameters in it. is this correct or do I need a server running on my computer as well because when I try using the arma3server in launch it says im missiong the a3_epoch_config if I launch using just amra3 it doesn't say that and it connects and only thing I see in my gtx server rpt is Server error: Player without identity headlessclient (id 406810003). im confused and don't know why this isn't working

Have you tried running that bat file from on your server? Whether or not it connects will tell you a lot about what might be going on with it. Since its only connecting to a HC slot I can't see why it would only work on the same machine, but with BI, who knows. Does it need to run as admin when leaving the home network to connect? Sadly, there's very little information about this at the moment out there.

3rd, make sure in your SC/config.cfg  add the following
headlessClients[] = {127.0.0.1, 69.162,93.230};

I must be losing my mind, but I can't find my SC/Config.cfg file anywhere. I have been over the configuration and server files multiple times, and I don't see it. HELP, please!!

I must be losing my mind, but I can't find my SC/Config.cfg file anywhere. I have been over the configuration and server files multiple times, and I don't see it. HELP, please!!

Did you configured your arma 3 server with mods @epoch;@epochhive or any other arma 3 server before? Because if you did, then you must know where is your profile folder which must be set in arma3server.exe launch params. There is distribution of server files located @http://epochmod.com/download_server.php and file archive contains: @EpochHive, BEC Plugin, Redis DB, Keys, MPMissions, Tools and the SC profile folder with basic.cfg and config.cfg.

Did you configured your arma 3 server with mods @epoch;@epochhive or any other arma 3 server before? Because if you did, then you must know where is your profile folder which must be set in arma3server.exe launch params. There is distribution of server files located @http://epochmod.com/download_server.php and file archive contains: @EpochHive, BEC Plugin, Redis DB, Keys, MPMissions, Tools and the SC profile folder with basic.cfg and config.cfg.

apparently gtxgaming uses "Arma3Config" instead of "SC" I found them...Thank you!

// to enable HC to broadcast messages to other clients
"GlobalHint" addPublicVariableEventHandler
{
private ["_GHint"];
_GHint = _this select 1;
hint parseText format["%1", _GHint];
};

the above should be in your HC init code in the main 'init.sqf for the entire Epoch2 mpmission file.

they will shoot eachother if they are not part of the same 'creategroup' group.  All the ai should be part of the 'RESISTANCE' group, via the code...not sure why your ai is attacking each other :(

Hi there,

I don´t believe that you could host an HC on an Nitrado Server. We hosted over 1 Year our ARMA II Epoch DayZ Server there and we had only access to the Server Files but could not access the Server

by it self via RDP or anything like that. Now we are running our own Dedi Server hosted by Hetzner and have full access to the Server. also we implemented successfully yesterday an HC with more than 10 different Missions, it took 6 hours of implementing and testing :wacko:  :lol:  :o .

The best way is to ask the Nitrado Support Team if something like a HC is possible. 

Good Luck with it Bro!

whaou omg nice !!! , and if I go through a dedicated ? Can you 'll have your help?

Just make a thread in server install help if you have problems, many server Admins willing to help on here :).

Dedi is very expensive. I would suggest starting out on a vps and go from there, you have the same access as a dedi but much, much cheaper. Performance should easily suffice with somethinv like the 3 core package for nfoservers. I swear by nfo, great support and good prices and options.

Good luck.

If you are having your server hosted by a hosting company, you can use your home system as an HC.

Follow the normal server install procedures to place a server on your home system.  Instead of running the server, run the -client option (see this thread and Hog's guide)

On your actual server, you will just need to add your Home IP to the list of acceptable headless clients. And of course configure it to accept HC's

Then connect to your server as a player, alt-tab out, connect as the HC and enjoy.  

I would NOT pay someone to host my HC's...unless of course your own connection is dog doo.

Note: I have not tested this myself, but the theory is sound :)