[How To] Set up an Arma 3 Epoch Server on a Client PC

Ghostrider-GRG

Question

Setting up an Epoch for Arma 3 server on your PC.

Below is the procedure I have used to set up A3 Epoch servers on my desktop PC. These servers are useful as a test bed when I try out things like the many scripts being released for Epoch. 

Updated for Epoch RC 0.3.0.3

This How To is based upon the Install.txt provided with the Epoch server files. If your server does not start up you may have missed a step or be lacking essential software.

For additional information, please refer to the Epoch developer's Wiki which provides considerable additional information.

http://epochmod.gamepedia.com/A3Epoch:Arma_3_Epoch#Server_Setup_.26_Information

For an excellent guide on troubleshooting, refer to the FAQ at

For another take on this How To, which provides a more comprehensive discussion of the different things you need to consider for server setup.

What you will need:

A good text editor like Notepad ++ (freeware)

Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

30 min
a bit of patience.

Stage I: create a server directory and add all needed files to your server directory.

1) Create a new directory on the disk you wish  to use for your server.  Mine is on an SSD drive E:
Lets call it: E:\Arma3Server for this tutorial.

2) Open your ..Steam\SteamApps\Common\Arma3 directory. Mine happens to be in E:\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Arma3.

3) Copy everything from that directory to your new server directory E:\Arma3Server.

4) Download Epoch Mod from here http://epochmod.com/download.php. Unpack the .rar file.

5) Copy @Epoch to your new server directory E:\Arma3Server.

6) Download the Epoch Server files https://github.com/EpochModTeam/Epoch/tree/master/Server_Install_Pack.

7) Extract the archive, and copy all files and folders in it to your E:\Arma3Server directory.

Stage II: Adjust the settings for your database:
8) Open the DB folder of your E:\Arma3Server directory.

9) Open redis.conf using Notepad ++ or another text editor. It will look like this.

bind 127.0.0.1
maxmemory 4gb
save 900 1
save 300 10
save 60 1000
requirepass Changeme9832

10) Change Changeme9832 in the "requirepass" field to a password you wish to use for your database server such as client321.

11) In your E:\Arma3Server folder, find and open @EpochHive.

12) Open EpochServer.ini using Notepad++. In it there will be a section titled [Redis] which looks like this:

[Redis]
IP = 127.0.0.1
Port = 6379
DB = 0
Password = foobared

13) now change the password to the one you set above for redis.conf, which for this example was client321.

Stage III: Complete configuration of Epoch Server Settings.
14) Next, in EpochHive.ini you need to specify the path to be used when starting the battleye on the serverside. Look for the following section:

[EpochServer]
BattlEyePath = C:\BattlEye
InstanceID = NA123

Change the BattlEyePath to the one appropriate for your server.  In our example, this would be E:\Arma3Server\SC\BattlEye
Now save and close EpochHive.

Stage IV: Configuring Automatic Restarts and other related issues.

In the past automatic restarts have usually been accomplished using BEC, a freeware tool. For reasons outside the scope of this how-to, development and support of BEC was discontinued and Epoch has been moving to integrated Battleye in various ways including providing functions for automatic restarts. If you wish to use BEC, you can download it using the link below:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15716

In order to run BEC, you will need to redirect its efforts to phone home. Instructions on how to do so are listed in the post by Dwarfer in this thread.

You will also need to set the correct path to your Arma3Server\SC\Battleye folder in the configuration file for BEC which normally would be:  Arma3Server\BEC\Config\Config.cfg.

BEC does still provide valuable functionality such as the ability to play certain messages periodically, but you can also schedule server restarts or utilize other features if you wish. .

Alternatives to BEC for automated server restarts:

Please see the release notes for Epoch 0.3.0.3 for details on  the built in automated server restart functions. The new method for automated server restarts is recommended if you are setting up a new server.

To use the built in server restart functions, open @epochhive\epochconfigs.hpp

In the first line, change

serverRestart         = false; // true sends #shutdown command to server after the time specified in ForceRestartTime

to

serverRestart         = true; // true sends #shutdown command to server after the time specified in ForceRestartTime

17) Stage V: Create your server startup file.
18) Open a blank document and past the following into it then save it in your E:\Arma3Server directory as something like A3Epoch.bat. Note that if you are using Notepad++, its default is to save files as text files. Select *.* from the drop down menu for choosing the file type before saving you A3Epoch.bat:  Again, the you will need to adjust the paths in this file to suit those for your server.

@echo off
start "arma3" "arma3server.exe"  -mod=@Epoch;@EpochHive; -config=E:\Arma3Server\SC\config.cfg  -port=2302 -profiles=SC -cfg=E:\Arma3Server\SC\basic.cfg -name=SC 

20) Stage VI: Configure BattlEye

21) Open the SC\Battleye folder and rename example-BEServer.cfg to BEServer.cfg and change the RConPassword.
22) Create an empty text file and save it as bans.txt in the SC\Battleye folder. Save and close the above configuration files.

23) Stage VII: Starting and joining your server.

24) In your E:\Arma3Server folder find and open the DB folder then click start-redis.

24) If you will be using BEC, go to your E:\Arma3Server\BEC folder find BEC, and start it.

25) Start Arma 3, select Play, then multiplayer and finally in multiplayer select remote. Enter the IP and port for your server, which in our example is 127.0.0.1:2302.

26) Also in your E:\Arma3Server directory should be the A3Epoch file you created above under step 18. Find it and click it.
    When you do, the Arma3server console should open after slight delay, and you should see information including the port number you used above in your A3Epoch startup file.  If you are using BEC, once the   Arma3server is running, BEC should go through a few steps then indicate it has successfully connected to the server.

27) You should now be able to join your server.

Epoch uses a true player-based economy, which means traders spawn with little inventory, and that it accumulates as players sell things.

You can define the inventory added to traders at server startup in @epochhive\epochconfig.hpp on around line 81, which should look something like this:

starterTraderItems[] = { { "ItemSodaBurst", "meatballs_epoch", "MortarBucket", "CinderBlocks", "VehicleRepair", "CircuitParts", "ItemCorrugated", "PartPlankPack", "ItemRock", "ItemRope", "ItemStick", "FAK" }, { 5, 5, 5, 25, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 25 } };

To add yourself as admin, you need to open @epochah.hpp, look for a line that begins

adminowner[] = { {"12345678","adminname"}};

add your steamID number and player name as indicated above.

Epoch does not have zombies, but instead spawns various antagonists that generally make life interesting, full of suprises, and sometimes rather short. You might want to read up on them on the Epoch Wiki for more info. There is quite a bit on the forums now regarding adjusting the frequency with which they spawn.

I get this prompt:

22:46:21 dedicated server has been created.
22:46:23 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.204)
22:46:23 server identity has been created.
22:46:23 Game Port: 2302, Steam Query Port: 2303
22:46:23 BattlEye Server: Unknown command

Then when I got into the game, I found several problems:

1: The name of the server is not the name of my settings, but my computer name.

2: When I entered the server, there will be some out of the box to be prompted to continue after I click OK.

3: When I agree with those terms, the game is loaded for a while, it will automatically quit.

I am in full accordance with the instructions set up your game server, but do not know where the error occurred.

I hope you can help me.

Sorry, I bad English.

I get this prompt:

22:46:21 dedicated server has been created.
22:46:23 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.204)
22:46:23 server identity has been created.
22:46:23 Game Port: 2302, Steam Query Port: 2303
22:46:23 BattlEye Server: Unknown command

Then when I got into the game, I found several problems:

1: The name of the server is not the name of my settings, but my computer name.

2: When I entered the server, there will be some out of the box to be prompted to continue after I click OK.

3: When I agree with those terms, the game is loaded for a while, it will automatically quit.

I am in full accordance with the instructions set up your game server, but do not know where the error occurred.

I hope you can help me.

Sorry, I bad English.

I get the same problem too

I get the same problem too

You guys are not following the instructions properly.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've had my server running for 3 days now, by following the instructions.  I downloaded the epoch server files on Sunday (6/14/15) and followed the instructions that were provided.  It's kind of common that when mutiple people use the same install instructions, and some people get a working server and others don't get a working server...the evidence is rather clear.  I'd suggest starting over, redownload the server package and begin again.

I really could use some help with this l seem to have followed all the steps and l cant get it running :unsure:

Make sure you start redis before starting your server. If you do not, the server will shut down after a short while and your game will seem to freeze.

The name of your server is set in Arma3Server\SC\config.cfg.

Hope this helps.

hi guys, i have the same problem, i try many solution, but nothing.

Message in my console server ARMA3 epoch mod

8:21:32 Dedicated host created.
 8:21:35 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.207)
 8:21:35 Host identity created.
 8:21:35 Game Port: 2302, Steam Query Port: 2303
 8:21:35 BattlEye Server: Unknown command

i remake BEserver.cfg with notepad but still not work :(

server remain stuck here....

all files and settings are correct, i checked many times.

i used this guide: http://epochmod.gamepedia.com/A3Epoch:Arma_3_Epoch#Server_Setup_.26_Information

i have another server whit exile mod and working perfectly.

someone have solution for this problem?

thx guys ;)

Edited by remeto

hi guys, i have the same problem, i try many solution, but nothing.

Message in my console server ARMA3 epoch mod

8:21:32 Dedicated host created.
 8:21:35 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.207)
 8:21:35 Host identity created.
 8:21:35 Game Port: 2302, Steam Query Port: 2303
 8:21:35 BattlEye Server: Unknown command

i remake BEserver.cfg with notepad but still not work :(

server remain stuck here....

all files and settings are correct, i checked many times.

i used this guide: http://epochmod.gamepedia.com/A3Epoch:Arma_3_Epoch#Server_Setup_.26_Information

i have another server whit exile mod and working perfectly.

someone have solution for this problem?

thx guys ;)

Have you started Redis ? if not your server will hang.  Are there any errors in your .RPT file ?

16:48:51 Dedicated host created.
16:48:54 BattlEye Server: Initialized (v1.207)
16:48:54 Host identity created.
16:48:54 Game Port: 2302, Steam Query Port: 2303
16:48:54 BattlEye Server: Unknown command

Alright, I am getting this error and before you say it Yes, I did follow the directions Completely My Drive is the Exact same Letter as This one as well I have no Idea why this isnt working can anyone help me 

My suggestions are:

The server not ready error may reflect a version conflict or some other error of that sort. I would delete you @Epoch, @epochhive, and mission folders then add back fresh copies.

Start with an modified server, meaning use all stock epoch server and mission files and make sure it runs before adding mods.

for the public variable kicks, be sure you are using the latest battle eye filters. Several of these have changed with the update to 0.3.7.0.

Finally, check the server log files (arma****.rpt) as these will usually point to the error.

Your server uses realtime on startups if you didnt change it yet. You should set a specific time in ur epochconfig and increase the time accelleration in there too. Check what time the night starts and set your daytime at startup to match your wanted night times

14 hours ago, Drokz said:

Your server uses realtime on startups if you didnt change it yet. You should set a specific time in ur epochconfig and increase the time accelleration in there too. Check what time the night starts and set your daytime at startup to match your wanted night times

I'm pretty new to hosting this type of server, Do you know of any guides that could teach me how the time settings work?

Edited by Retard1
Spell check

As a start, open @epochhive\epochconfig.hpp and look at lines 7-10. My settings are shown below.

// Time based
StaticDateTime[] = {0,0,0,8,0}; // {0,0,0,8,0} would forces the server to start at 8am each time it is started while allowing the year, month and day to stay real time. Any values left at 0 will result in no change.
timeDifference = 0; // Server uses real time this will allow you to offset just the hour.
timeMultiplier = 1.0; // Sets a time multiplier for in-game time. The command range is now capped at 0.1 - 120 to avoid performance problems.

With these settings on Altis, the server starts at 8 AM at which time the sun is up. With 4 hour restarts, the server restarts at 12 Noon. Increasing the timeMultiplier to 2 would cause 2 hours to pass in server time for ever hour in real time such that with 4 hour restarts, the server time at restart would b 4 PM.

Note that there is an event in epoch that runs on the server calls fastnights which increases the time acceleration during the night. If you would like to increase or decrease time acceleration during the night just modify the appropriate lines in @epochhive\epoch_server_settings\EpochEvents.

If you want to have the in game time to mirror the time of day then leave StaticDateTime[]={0,0,0,0};

In that case, the timeDifference can be used as an offset. Lets say you host a server in the UK but want the in game time to correspond to

eastern standard time in the US. In that case you would want the server time to be 6 hours earlier than the actual time in the location in which the server is running and set the offset to -6.

If you want to quickly determine the time of sunrise and sunset on your server you can add the following at the bottom of the init.sqf in your mission.pbo:

diag_log format["_fnc_Time::  -- > _sunrise = %1 | _sunset = %2 | _time = %3",_sunrise,_sunset;

Then pack your mission.pbo, start your server and scroll through or search the server.RPT till you find the line that begins with _fnc_Time::.

I hope that this is helpful.

On 4/27/2017 at 6:47 AM, Ghostrider-GRG said:

As a start, open @epochhive\epochconfig.hpp and look at lines 7-10. My settings are shown below.

// Time based

diag_log format["_fnc_Time::  -- > _sunrise = %1 | _sunset = %2 | _time = %3",_sunrise,_sunset;

Then pack your mission.pbo, start your server and scroll through or search the server.RPT till you find the line that begins with _fnc_Time::.

I hope that this is helpful.

Thanks for the info, no closing square at the end, error

diag_log format["_fnc_Time::  -- > _sunrise = %1 | _sunset = %2 | _time = %3"],_sunrise,_sunset;

Edited by koriaba
]