[How To] Set up an Arma 3 Epoch Server on a Client PC

Ghostrider-GRG

Question

Setting up an Epoch for Arma 3 server on your PC.

Below is the procedure I have used to set up A3 Epoch servers on my desktop PC. These servers are useful as a test bed when I try out things like the many scripts being released for Epoch. 

Updated for Epoch RC 0.3.0.3

This How To is based upon the Install.txt provided with the Epoch server files. If your server does not start up you may have missed a step or be lacking essential software.

For additional information, please refer to the Epoch developer's Wiki which provides considerable additional information.

http://epochmod.gamepedia.com/A3Epoch:Arma_3_Epoch#Server_Setup_.26_Information

For an excellent guide on troubleshooting, refer to the FAQ at

For another take on this How To, which provides a more comprehensive discussion of the different things you need to consider for server setup.

What you will need:

A good text editor like Notepad ++ (freeware)

Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

30 min
a bit of patience.

Stage I: create a server directory and add all needed files to your server directory.

1) Create a new directory on the disk you wish  to use for your server.  Mine is on an SSD drive E:
Lets call it: E:\Arma3Server for this tutorial.

2) Open your ..Steam\SteamApps\Common\Arma3 directory. Mine happens to be in E:\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Arma3.

3) Copy everything from that directory to your new server directory E:\Arma3Server.

4) Download Epoch Mod from here http://epochmod.com/download.php. Unpack the .rar file.

5) Copy @Epoch to your new server directory E:\Arma3Server.

6) Download the Epoch Server files https://github.com/EpochModTeam/Epoch/tree/master/Server_Install_Pack.

7) Extract the archive, and copy all files and folders in it to your E:\Arma3Server directory.

Stage II: Adjust the settings for your database:
8) Open the DB folder of your E:\Arma3Server directory.

9) Open redis.conf using Notepad ++ or another text editor. It will look like this.

bind 127.0.0.1
maxmemory 4gb
save 900 1
save 300 10
save 60 1000
requirepass Changeme9832

10) Change Changeme9832 in the "requirepass" field to a password you wish to use for your database server such as client321.

11) In your E:\Arma3Server folder, find and open @EpochHive.

12) Open EpochServer.ini using Notepad++. In it there will be a section titled [Redis] which looks like this:

[Redis]
IP = 127.0.0.1
Port = 6379
DB = 0
Password = foobared

13) now change the password to the one you set above for redis.conf, which for this example was client321.

Stage III: Complete configuration of Epoch Server Settings.
14) Next, in EpochHive.ini you need to specify the path to be used when starting the battleye on the serverside. Look for the following section:

[EpochServer]
BattlEyePath = C:\BattlEye
InstanceID = NA123

Change the BattlEyePath to the one appropriate for your server.  In our example, this would be E:\Arma3Server\SC\BattlEye
Now save and close EpochHive.

Stage IV: Configuring Automatic Restarts and other related issues.

In the past automatic restarts have usually been accomplished using BEC, a freeware tool. For reasons outside the scope of this how-to, development and support of BEC was discontinued and Epoch has been moving to integrated Battleye in various ways including providing functions for automatic restarts. If you wish to use BEC, you can download it using the link below:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15716

In order to run BEC, you will need to redirect its efforts to phone home. Instructions on how to do so are listed in the post by Dwarfer in this thread.

You will also need to set the correct path to your Arma3Server\SC\Battleye folder in the configuration file for BEC which normally would be:  Arma3Server\BEC\Config\Config.cfg.

BEC does still provide valuable functionality such as the ability to play certain messages periodically, but you can also schedule server restarts or utilize other features if you wish. .

Alternatives to BEC for automated server restarts:

Please see the release notes for Epoch 0.3.0.3 for details on  the built in automated server restart functions. The new method for automated server restarts is recommended if you are setting up a new server.

To use the built in server restart functions, open @epochhive\epochconfigs.hpp

In the first line, change

serverRestart         = false; // true sends #shutdown command to server after the time specified in ForceRestartTime

to

serverRestart         = true; // true sends #shutdown command to server after the time specified in ForceRestartTime

17) Stage V: Create your server startup file.
18) Open a blank document and past the following into it then save it in your E:\Arma3Server directory as something like A3Epoch.bat. Note that if you are using Notepad++, its default is to save files as text files. Select *.* from the drop down menu for choosing the file type before saving you A3Epoch.bat:  Again, the you will need to adjust the paths in this file to suit those for your server.

@echo off
start "arma3" "arma3server.exe"  -mod=@Epoch;@EpochHive; -config=E:\Arma3Server\SC\config.cfg  -port=2302 -profiles=SC -cfg=E:\Arma3Server\SC\basic.cfg -name=SC 

20) Stage VI: Configure BattlEye

21) Open the SC\Battleye folder and rename example-BEServer.cfg to BEServer.cfg and change the RConPassword.
22) Create an empty text file and save it as bans.txt in the SC\Battleye folder. Save and close the above configuration files.

23) Stage VII: Starting and joining your server.

24) In your E:\Arma3Server folder find and open the DB folder then click start-redis.

24) If you will be using BEC, go to your E:\Arma3Server\BEC folder find BEC, and start it.

25) Start Arma 3, select Play, then multiplayer and finally in multiplayer select remote. Enter the IP and port for your server, which in our example is 127.0.0.1:2302.

26) Also in your E:\Arma3Server directory should be the A3Epoch file you created above under step 18. Find it and click it.
    When you do, the Arma3server console should open after slight delay, and you should see information including the port number you used above in your A3Epoch startup file.  If you are using BEC, once the   Arma3server is running, BEC should go through a few steps then indicate it has successfully connected to the server.

27) You should now be able to join your server.

Sounds like port forwarding (firewall) issue to me.

Are you using a remote VPS/DEDI? or GSP Provided Package? Or home computer?

Try to give as much info as possible and maybe a summary of what you have tried and I'm sure you will get a much more specific solution.

Good luck

Nice guide.

I have an issue though - I run the database, BEC and then the server and they all look like they start, but nothing appears in my 'Remote' section when I'm in the game itself. Anyone have any ideas? I've been through and checked the files a few times already...

If you run both server and client in same machine, remove ip from server start up script, port settings are enough, also check portforwarding UDP only.

Nice guide.

I have an issue though - I run the database, BEC and then the server and they all look like they start, but nothing appears in my 'Remote' section when I'm in the game itself. Anyone have any ideas? I've been through and checked the files a few times already...

Same here. see server on local list, but when i log in, monitor show nothing. Cant logint even to lobby

Fixed: I check and change all passwords

BEC works fine!

search for latest version, block its network and launch with --dsc if it auto closes.

As for not being able to join your server, some computers literally cnat handle a dedi and a client on the same machine. Its not reccommended except for dev testing and even then its a bit pointless.

Either install your servers on a VPS or Isolation Software or get a server.

I setup an epoch server on my win 8.1 pc. when i run the server, and then try to run arma3.exe it says the game is already running. I cannot figure out how to run the game from the same computer that is running the server.

any help would be great.

I setup an epoch server on my win 8.1 pc. when i run the server, and then try to run arma3.exe it says the game is already running. I cannot figure out how to run the game from the same computer that is running the server.

any help would be great.

need to run game first, then server!

you probably need either port forwarding or hamachi. There are a few posts on port forwarding earlier in this thread.

thanks for reply.i had done the port forwarding 2352 2302 2304 6379.is there any port need to forward?

thanks for reply.i had done the port forwarding 2352 2302 2304 6379.is there any port need to forward?

I am not knowledgable about that particular bit of the server thing. You might read back through the thread and ask some of those who have posted for more advice.

So...Step nr 15. Stage IV: Configuring BEC.

How to that? I guess I get the config folder and whats in from that. As I don't have that folder. So how continue from that?

I should update the How To. BEC is no longer required and is being phased out and being replaced by direct integration of BE in the game engine. You can ignore BEC if you like. It is helpful for schedule server restarts and some other features but all of these are being replaced by other alternatives.

I should update the How To. BEC is no longer required and is being phased out and being replaced by direct integration of BE in the game engine. You can ignore BEC if you like. It is helpful for schedule server restarts and some other features but all of these are being replaced by other alternatives.

I just gone use it as a test server. So what step should I jump over. 

@MrEnzO

You can ignore everything having to do with BEC (Stage IV), as shown in the spoiler below.

Stage IV: Configuring BEC.

15) Download the latest version of BEC here :

http://ibattle.org/downloads/

15a) Unpack it. Copy the contents to your E:\Arma3Server\ directory.

16) Open E:\Arma3Server\config\Config.cfg.

Check the following lines in this file as detailed under items A, B and C below.

a) If you will not be using the default port for your server, change it here so BEC knows which port to use to communicate with your server.

# Set the port to the server. default port is 2302
Port = 2352

17) Check and change as needed the names and path to the following configuration files which are all found in your E:\Arma3Server\config\ folder.
Note in the default files provided as part of the Epoch Server files name changes. Specifically, what is typically the Admins.xml file is named A3_Admins.xml.
Either rename this, or use this name in the path when you enter that information. In the examples below the path is specified for the E:\Arma3Server example directory we created.

# Set the path to the BattlEye directory that is currently in use by the server.
BePath = E:\Arma3Server\SC\BattlEye

# Set the path to your Admins.xml, Commands.xml and Scheduler.xml files.
Admins = E:\Arma3Server\config\Admins.xml

# Set the path to your Commands.xml file.
Commands = E:\Arma3Server\config\Commands.xml

# Set path to the file containing a list of bad words. Note, Warnings must be enabled. 0 or more.
WordFilterFile = E:\Arma3Server\config\BadWords.txt

# Kick people with offensive names
NickFilterFile = E:\Arma3Server\config\BadNames.txt

# Set the path to the Scheduler.xml file.
Scheduler = E:\Arma3Server\config\Scheduler.xml

C) Comment out the following lines by placing a number sign # at the start of the lines, unless you have renamed your arma3server.exe or wish to whitelist your server:

#ServerExeName = NewArmaExeName.exe

#WhiteListFile = E:\Arma3Server\config\WhiteList.txt

@MrEnzO

You can ignore everything having to do with BEC (Stage IV), as shown in the spoiler below.

Stage IV: Configuring BEC.

15) Download the latest version of BEC here :

http://ibattle.org/downloads/

15a) Unpack it. Copy the contents to your E:\Arma3Server\ directory.

16) Open E:\Arma3Server\config\Config.cfg.

Check the following lines in this file as detailed under items A, B and C below.

a) If you will not be using the default port for your server, change it here so BEC knows which port to use to communicate with your server.

# Set the port to the server. default port is 2302

Port = 2352

17) Check and change as needed the names and path to the following configuration files which are all found in your E:\Arma3Server\config\ folder.

Note in the default files provided as part of the Epoch Server files name changes. Specifically, what is typically the Admins.xml file is named A3_Admins.xml.

Either rename this, or use this name in the path when you enter that information. In the examples below the path is specified for the E:\Arma3Server example directory we created.

# Set the path to the BattlEye directory that is currently in use by the server.

BePath = E:\Arma3Server\SC\BattlEye

# Set the path to your Admins.xml, Commands.xml and Scheduler.xml files.

Admins = E:\Arma3Server\config\Admins.xml

# Set the path to your Commands.xml file.

Commands = E:\Arma3Server\config\Commands.xml

# Set path to the file containing a list of bad words. Note, Warnings must be enabled. 0 or more.

WordFilterFile = E:\Arma3Server\config\BadWords.txt

# Kick people with offensive names

NickFilterFile = E:\Arma3Server\config\BadNames.txt

# Set the path to the Scheduler.xml file.

Scheduler = E:\Arma3Server\config\Scheduler.xml

C) Comment out the following lines by placing a number sign # at the start of the lines, unless you have renamed your arma3server.exe or wish to whitelist your server:

#ServerExeName = NewArmaExeName.exe

#WhiteListFile = E:\Arma3Server\config\WhiteList.txt

I skipped all of this.  Will I still have the "admin" powers without it?  I've never ran a server or been an admin, so I'm not sure how it all works.  I just set up the server on my PC to learn what I can.

Figured it out...derp derp

Edited by kresdja

Hey together,

i think i have it all done right and tried several things but when i trie to join i get kicked by Battleeye (Public Variable Restriction #0) 
Pls Help 
Or is ther any other Way to try the Buildingsysthem 
I want to try building a Base as Admin on a Singleplayer mission 

@Lipitunos -

For a private server like that you can simply disable battleye altogether. To do this:

Opening Arma3Server\SC\config.cfg

Around line 9, look for Battleye = 1

Change it to Battleye = 0.

You are done.

To resolve the BE kick check out this How To:

Thanks for the guide, after alittle trouble shooting I got it working! :D

Unfortunately, It seems that traders only sell a few default items, coke and a few other things, no vehicles, etc. I've never played Arma 3 Epoch, only Arma 2, Is this normal? If so/If not, can I change it? Adding some sort of extra mod like CCG? Also, Is iit possible to change loot tables, I have only found a .45 acp mag and no vehicles, which i thought might be abnormal.

Thanks again,

Alex