Poor shot with sniper rifles.

SkyDogs

Is there something I'm missing with the high calibre sniper rifles?

I'm having very poor results using these things despite ranging and dialling in the required distance on the SOS scope.

Last night I failed to kill a static player sat behind a bush on the top of a hill just 400m away. Surely the bush couldn't have been a factor, could it?

So where am I going wrong? I'm checking all the boxes....prone, ranged, and distance set.

Help me as it's getting embarrassing.

i think arma 3 went backwards in long range shots compared to arma 2. at 400m i myself dont have a problem (talking about the lynx or m320) but at 1000m sometimes it gets weird.

ill range the shot in with a range finder and lets say it says its a 1000m shot, well sometimes ill go for it and my bullet lands like 10 feet below where i shot. its very strange and im hoping the markmen dlc will improve upon long range shots. i actually have a video where im shooting at 1200m and my bullets are wayyy off and inconstant despite being ranged in and holding my breath for the shot 

I know where you're coming from Ryan. By the time I finished playing Arma2 I could hit targets that were at odd distances, like 847m for example, but in A3 I will move forward or back to have a nice 800 or 900 shot. This would/should mean I don't need to compensate with hold-under or hold-over....it should result in what you aim at, you hit. 

By the way, my latest display of shit sniping was with a M107, is there anything skewiff about those guns?

I know where you're coming from Ryan. By the time I finished playing Arma2 I could hit targets that were at odd distances, like 847m for example, but in A3 I will move forward or back to have a nice 800 or 900 shot. This would/should mean I don't need to compensate with hold-under or hold-over....it should result in what you aim at, you hit. 

By the way, my latest display of shit sniping was with a M107, is there anything skewiff about those guns?

I've noticed there's something particularly strange with changes in elevation and bullet drop(or overall accuracy).  For instance, try ranging something at relatively the same elevation as you, the metering is generally spot on.

However, try ranging something considerably downhill from you and the actual hits can be entirely off for nearly 2 mildots in either direction.

As far as the 107, it's temporarily inheriting statistics from the lynx in terms of ballistics due to it's use of the 12.7 rounds.  This was temporary until ammo unification features are implemented.  The 107 will eventually have it's own magazine.

So overall, still some silly things going on with all ballistics. Far ranges and changes in elevation seem to really make it stand out to a noticable degree.

So is it a case of practice makes perfect, or is it something that'll get changed?

We're talking about a deeply rooted engine thing with Arma 3 in general.  No matter what the configurating of ammo(what really drives a weapons ballistics), they will all refer to the core math of ballistics in the game.

I'm sure there are issues open about this on the tracker, perhaps it's something they've slated for the Marksman DLC (bipods etc). 

You can always try the ballstics mission to really test some of this stuff for now though.  There's a really neat tracer drawn along the round's trajectory, color coded to reflect the speed/power of the round, even after penetration.

Go get Jester's showcase or playground on the Steam workshop and practice, It has a range that goes out to 1600m and if you get up to the lighthouse I think it's 1900m.   It has every item in the game and if you have the epoch mod enabled, those weapons too.

You will find that say with the 320 @ 1600m, you actually have to hold over 0.2 mils.  Suppressors actually increase velocity (as they should) and you'll actually have to hold under on those.

Also it does make a difference IRL when you are aiming below or above your elevation, not sure if it is accurately modeled in ARMA 3 however.

Unfortunately, ARMA has dumbed down the ballastics / optics mechanic.   IRL you zero the scope for let's say 100 yards / meters and then adjust for different ranges based on whether you are using and MOA or MIL scope / turrets along with a ballistics drop chart  to build your own personal drop chart with that particular weapon.

So if ARMA was to use this mechanic, you would have to set your zero at a certain range and then work from there.  Then you'd have to adjust the scope turrets by whatever the scope utilizes 1/8 MOA, 1/4 MOA clicks.   Most MIL RAD / Turret scopes are in 0.1 MIL clicks.  All the while doing the math to determine the range utilizing the mil dots

As it is in ARMA now, you have to hold under / over based on the range delta from your zero settings.....there is no fine tuning.

If you are interested in the math involved and utilizing a precision rifle scope, I urge you to watch some youtube videos on the subject. 

I'm wondering if the marksman DLC will introduce some of these things...guess we will see.

This is stuff of dreams for me, real ballistics and environment conditions to take into account. Need practice and tuition, starting with the missions mentioned above. Anyone at an expert level already fancies taking me for a few lessons, please do. I'm not ashamed to admit I'm not up to standard yet. 

i think arma 3 went backwards in long range shots compared to arma 2. at 400m i myself dont have a problem (talking about the lynx or m320) but at 1000m sometimes it gets weird.

ill range the shot in with a range finder and lets say it says its a 1000m shot, well sometimes ill go for it and my bullet lands like 10 feet below where i shot. its very strange and im hoping the markmen dlc will improve upon long range shots. i actually have a video where im shooting at 1200m and my bullets are wayyy off and inconstant despite being ranged in and holding my breath for the shot 

Arma 2 had the same problem but it was not so obvious. Not only are the scopes not centered but there is some random stuff going on some of the shots. In arma 2 my shots always went 1 milimeter under the center, i tried changing my resolution, fov, options and it didn't help. Every 10th or so shot in A2 was different from the rest, for some reason. I also noticed that server fps affects bullet travel speed or some shit in Arma 2.

Yeah it has some strange drops. Yesterday I had a guy dead to rights at 1000m with the .408 and an LRPS scope. Dialed in at that range and it hit low. Had to go to the first mil dot below center to hit. If a scope is dialed in like that it should not be that far off. But once you know how they work, you can compensate for it next time. 

Also, the 107 has a huge report range when shot. Could be heard at 1.4k and the lynx could not? Not sure if this is intended or not. 

Yeah it has some strange drops. Yesterday I had a guy dead to rights at 1000m with the .408 and an LRPS scope. Dialed in at that range and it hit low. Had to go to the first mil dot below center to hit. If a scope is dialed in like that it should not be that far off. But once you know how they work, you can compensate for it next time. 

Also, the 107 has a huge report range when shot. Could be heard at 1.4k and the lynx could not? Not sure if this is intended or not. 

Sounds about right, at exactly 1000m by my charts you have to hold over 0.5 mils with a  .408    So if your point of aim was just under center mass, it would have landed at his feet.

• 1 month later...

The scope sway is killing it for me. If the new shooting mechanics when the marksman dlc doesn't fix/reduce it then I'll be done with this mod.

it's not the Epoch developers fault.. It's BI

I can imagine some sway is common but the amount is just ridiculous.

It's like I'm drunk the dam scope is all over. That's while kneeling. I'm not keen on proning.

Weapons weigh alot, The bigger the gun the bigger the weight. Hence holding it exact steady is difficult, as it should be.
If long range shots are difficult for you, practice lots and lots, you'll get used to the sway and in the end, like that its more real than say CoD of BF sway.

Should be difficult to hit a target 1000 meters away. If its not for you, stick with the close range weapons. =)