AI MISSIONS?

Diceman

MDC has been working on this, the reason you can't be killed by the AI is because in EPOCH_server_loadPlayer.sqf, it sets "allowDamage false;" on the player object, that only runs when you log in not respawn, he's banned from here for sticking up for the communities that would like to freely customize the servers they host, after all it does advertise Epoch for them and every community that hosts it gets nothing in return

MDC has been working on this, the reason you can't be killed by the AI is because in EPOCH_server_loadPlayer.sqf, it sets "allowDamage false;" on the player object, that only runs when you log in not respawn, he's banned from here for sticking up for the communities that would like to freely customize the servers they host, after all it does advertise Epoch for them and every community that hosts it gets nothing in return

awwww i was just getting my popcorn they were so close why did you have to ruin it :(  lol

Why run missions server side, we have no problem with people making missions, your own mods added on, so long as our code stays put and not copy and pasted to the addon mod. A lot of thought has been put into making the mod editable and expandable without the need to mess with the core mod code.

So is there no way to manage the missions state for new players, no way to communicate between different clients? Would make for a pretty dull multi player game if that was the case? 

The server will clean up any unowned units, work with it rather than against. Performance is king.

Hint over :)

Great question. I actually want to run and make a mission script because I enjoy scripting it. I like how it's structured and it's moderatley hard. I helps me learn how to code better. It involves many different tasks such as loops, ifs, whiles etc. 

I run it server side so that it cuts down on the data that clients need to download basically. It's also for convenience sake, I don't want to repack pbo's everytme I make a change and I don't want to go through sub-directories. I just put the files in the main root folder and edit away. 

There are ways to communicate via clients actually. One way is to use AI's. I know a few servers who run an antihack that bases itself around this. However, the server despawns the AI instantly so using them would not be that effective. 

Missions add a degree of teamwork and socialization if I may say so. I personally believe and think of it as dungeons from World of Warcraft. They are ment to be difficult and are ment to need a group of players or a be a strong player in order to clear and loot. It should pose dangers and also bring people together or create conflicts. I believe that mission systems server a greater purpose than just boxes with loot. It gives the players something extra to do, over the regular things like gathering supplies etc.  

Axeman,

I agree with Detent here on the value of missions in some situations at least, We run PVE servers that cater to players who enjoy the building aspects of the game and, like Detent, have found that difficult missions have added a social element around which groups of players work together for successful completion.

@Defent, if we add one exception then it opens the floodgate. If you want 100 player servers you can't be bothering the server with client side net code. 

Once you get used to the transition it's easy..

The exception is only for the resistance group which is only used for AI (afaik). If people decide to use it and spawn AI's in multitudes then wouldn't that be their own problem for making their server unplayable? 

What kind of transition are you speak about? From having missions with AI to none at all? I don't think that will be a smooth transition since it's been so prominent of a feature across almost all Arma 2 Dayz Epoch servers and players more or less expect it to be a feature in Arma 3 Epoch.

Servers at 80 players or so already cave under preassure and that is without AI scripts. Vanilla servers hosted on a dedicated machine only ment for that one server may be able to get 100 slots judging by the CPU usage.

I believe that once mission systems get back in (which they probably will one way or another), servers might go down to 50-60 slots again. It's not due to how Epoch is made but because Arma is made the way it is.

Also, AI spawning can be done server side, that wouldnt affect clients would it? I mean, the clean up is made for ai spawned server side. AI spawned using headless clients also cause massive lag afaik, which is kind of is client side spawning.

I'll respond with simply this, I, like everyone else, run Epoch and are happy to do so with A2 Epoch because I have the freedom to make the changes etc to my servers to make them unique to my community and keep people interested in them and I can understand why you guys are upset about how certain people respond to methods etc that are used by the devs to prevent changes done to their code on A3 Epoch but at the same time expelling people from the forums for this opinion is just disrespect, I'm using a modified package that allows me to make them changes and I'm aware I won't get any help for doing so, I accepted that when I made the choice to use them, now, ban me if you feel you must but i'm just expressing my opinions on banning others for their dislike and their opinions towards essentially preventing people having some freedom when they decide to give more publicity to the Epoch mod, i respect you all and have done since day 1 of the DayZ Epoch mod but I can't understand why you guys no longer tolerate opinions on things that a lot of people have a problem with

Ghost rider, we are working on a mission system that will be driven from a config file. As much as I have mentioned that it won't be fetch the box, that will be in there.

Also agree with @Defent and we know that it's about the experience, which is why we have stuck to the survival aspect. It's Epoch!

It's been a bit full on recently.. back to reading the fsm and occasionally sqf ;) am a lone wolf pve but will happily take on pvp, is why I live this mod..

Oh its fine i'll go but you all now know exactly why the AI won't target you until you respawn

Running aI from a HC and they target me without needing to respawn. Sometimes, if I teleport in right as they're spawn it will take a few seconds for them to start moving, but otherwise they are right on top of putting me down.

Running aI from a HC and they target me without needing to respawn. Sometimes, if I teleport in right as they're spawn it will take a few seconds for them to start moving, but otherwise they are right on top of putting me down.

a properly configured HC has more 'rights' than a normal client IME. hc created markers propagated to JIP clients in arma 2 as server ones would..

Do you actually want to know which file and what part does it? Thought talking about "protected" server files got you banned. :/

Protected server files ? This is not a debate about whatever you are blabbing on about. The licencing is clear and stated in another thread, go read it..

This thread is talking about AI Missions, keep trying to drag us into politics and making the thread irrelevant, I will ban you, very simple.. Have you not noticed that i ban for making boring posts, from a developers point of view ?

If you insist on educating me, let's have a beer at my local..

Protected server files ? This is not a debate about whatever you are blabbing on about. The licencing is clear and stated in another thread, go read it..

This thread is talking about AI Missions, keep trying to drag us into politics and making the thread irrelevant, I will ban you, very simple.. Have you not noticed that i ban for making boring posts, from a developers point of view ?

If you insist on educating me, let's have a beer at my local..

I just was asking if you wanted to know which file blocks the AI from damaging players and if I could talk about it without breaking some kind of license, jeez. So many people are on the edge these days. I'm just trying to help and explain why the AI don't work as some expect them too. I suppose I'll keep quiet instead.

Without further derailing the thread, 

As someone suggested earlier

_soldier setVariable ["LASTLOGOUT_EPOCH", diag_tickTime + 14400000, sanna];

does make the AI stay but it takes a hit on performance as it's not really an intended way to work around it (i hope). Having a counter count from 0 to 4h in seconds can not be very optimized imo..

As per the license you are allowed to make changes all you like and share the instructions but you're not allowed to share the files themselves directly

EDIT: But I'm no expert on this stuff, but yeah I shared the file name and the line of code, its down to you guys if you choose to use the edited package that will allow you to make the changes just you'll be give no official tech support from it, I'm staying out of the politics from now but again you can make the changes and work on it with mroe flexibility but thats only provide you chose to use the modified file located on the interwebs and work out the rest of the code yourself, you break it, you fix it, we're not allowed to provide any files only instructions on what code in what files to edit etc

As per the license you are allowed to make changes all you like and share the instructions but you're not allowed to share the files themselves directly

EDIT: But I'm no expert on this stuff, but yeah I shared the file name and the line of code, its down to you guys if you choose to use the edited package that will allow you to make the changes just you'll be give no official tech support from it, I'm staying out of the politics from now but again you can make the changes and work on it with mroe flexibility but thats only provide you chose to use the modified file located on the interwebs and work out the rest of the code yourself, you break it, you fix it, we're not allowed to provide any files only instructions on what code in what files to edit etc

stop spamming please kk thx.

stop spamming please kk thx.

Constructive contribution to this topic, thanks for your concern though, but as far as I'm concerned the only efficient way (to avoid causing bad client FPS on those with lower end machines) a server side solution would be the easiest to resolve this (Whilst HC's are good an' all they're not for the feint hearted or ill experienced to setup) I'm sure one of the devs can correct me on this but am I right in saying that on Epoch 1.0 release the server file restrictions will be lifted? If so those of us that have the current ability to make server side code changes can work on making a usable and reliable system for this, I and a few others already have a ported version of a available system for A2 Epoch that currently works for the most part, obviously we'll find out things along the way that might need to be adjusted but I did a few missions on my server earlier and all seemed fine either way I'm sure once we can freely share this stuff the system/s will be perfected then :)

DZMS's successor will come when the Epoch devs allow the server files to be open. Battleeye filters are a pain, and I rather see everything I'm working with when I do work on it, instead of trying to write code that nulls out code in other files that I'm not allowed to modify. Missions should be server code, and should be on the server side IMO.

As for running code on the server side from the client, you can do so without needing to touch any server files. There are isServer/isClient commands for a reason.

Other than the incompatibilities that DZMS has with Arma3, and the limitations the Epoch Dev's have coded in, you could almost just stick the DZMS launch in the Init and just throw an isServer IF around it and call it a day.