Question

Just thought I would do a good deed and try get thread spam lower :).

Here I will cover the most common problems for installing 0.2.5.1 on a Windows Server;

START WITH VANILLA (NO CUSTOM MODS ETC). ONCE THE SERVER WORKS, THEN EDIT WHAT YOU WANT / ADD ADMIN ETC. ONE THING AT A TIME.

• Battleye: Public Variable Restriction #0

When a player joins they get kicked

Check the RPT log, probably mentions something like SERVER VERSION MISMATCH or something. Client doesnt have the same version as the server.

When using the admin tool you get kicked:

Make sure you are using the latest server files and the latest BE Filters included in the SC/Battleye Folder.

Check the Paths to your Battleye folder (in files @EpochHive/EpochServer.ini and BEC/Config/Config.cfg) point to the SC/BattlEye Folder.

Check to make sure BEC has loaded the Watchdog plugin correctly (It should say in the BEC console window).

If you still get kicked there may be a bug (unconfirmed) where your txt filters will be overridden with incorrect values every restart, If this is the case, be patient for a fix.

Workarounds modifying publicvar.txt manually can cause security issues.

(Could be the log rotator, need confirmation).

• Mission Read From Bank / Server Auto-Closes or Crash Upon Joining / Stuck at Server Initializing / Server not Ready (Error 02)

This occurs when there is a problem loading the mod. This could be due to several causes:

Redis Database Server Problems:

Check Redis Database Server Issues below for the solution.

Incorrect Configuration of Database:

Check your DB/Redis.conf file and make sure the ip/port and the password you chose is correct;

Then check your @EpochHive/EpochServer.ini file and make sure the ip/port and password are the same as in redis.conf.

Incorrect Configuration of Server/Mod Files:

Check that anything you modified in any of the following files didnt cause any syntax errors/problems (best to start fresh just to get it working):

@EpochHive/epochAH.hpp

@EpochHive/epochconfig.hpp

SC/config.cfg

SC/basic.cfg

SC/Users/SC/SC.Arma3Profile

Check that you have placed all the files (DB/SC/MPMissions/@EpochHive/Keys Folders etc) in the correct locations in the correct place etc, just copy the entire contents of the server file zip to your arma 3 main directory, where your arma3server.exe is located.

• Redis Database Server Issues

Nothing is saving to the database:

Either your configuration (ip/port/passsword) dont match (check Mission Read From Bank ->Incorrect Configuration of Database)

or the redis-server.exe in not running. If the redis-server.exe is not in the process list then check below;

Redis-Server.exe not in Process list/No Console window:

There are two causes I know of for this, the first is to check if you have all the redistributables required (it is like extra Microsoft files that the program needs to work).

To do this, check your event log (start menu->type event viewer. On the left pane click Windows Logs->Application). Look for "Side-By-Side" Errors, you need to find the part of the error description that gives you a package name, for ex. "Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT".

Put that string in google and you should find the package you need quite easily.

The second cause could be a low filespace/virtual memory/ram issue. To check this, Hold shift and right click in the redis-server.exe folder (DB folder) and select "Open Command Line Here". Type "redis-server.exe redis.conf". You should get and error or some kind of output stating a process fork failed due to space/memory issues.

If this is the case you can either lower the "maxmemory" config in redis.conf (Minimum I would say 2gb, but personally I prefer the second option next) or you can increase your Paging File Size, You may need to experiment with this to get it stable, I currently have 16gb page file and it seems to run perfectly fine with maxmemory=4gb on a 3gb RAM machine.

• BEC Closes/Wont Connect/Scheduler Issues

BEC Auto Closes when you try to run it

Make sure you have the correct Visual C++ Redistributables, vc 2008 and vc 2003 should be sufficient, you can check your event log (windows->startmenu->type event viewer) under windows logs->applications and look for "side by side" errors for bec.exe. Google the description you find.

BEC Wont connect to the server

Make sure your ip from your command line is your actual IP address, also make sure the IP in the BEC/Config/Config.cfg file is correct.

Or alternatively you can try omitting the -ip parameter from your command line and using the IP 127.0.0.1 in the BEC Config file.

BEC Scheduler is not working, no messages/restarts/errors

First thing to check is that you have un-commented the Scheduler Path line in your BEC Config. If not simply remove the # from start of the line

If you setup your scheduler paths correct and it still will not work you should get some "error loading scheduler.xml" in the BEC Console window. If not, then maybe your timings are off? Consult the Scheduler Help File inside the BEC Config Directory.

Some things to note: The scheduler must be in _precise_ format. eg,

Id starts at 0 and increments by one for each new job.

Older syntax from BEC prior to 1.6 will not work, they need to be modified (very simple)

Data type none

You might have forgotten to rename "example_BEServer.cfg" to "BEServer.cfg" in "Arma/SC/Battleye" folder. (Thanks to hogscraper)

I can add some scheduler templates if people find it necessary though the scheduler has a very nice readme that explains everything you need to know.

• Admin Menu Wont Show/Spawn Menu Greyed Out etc

No admin menu when F1 is pressed:

Basically put - assuming you havn't disabled the anti-hack, your steamid64 is not in the admin list in epochAH.hpp

You need to get your steamid64 (You can get your normal steam id here, you can then convert that to steamid64 here.

Admin menu shows, but Spawn or other options are greyed out (Server is currently disabled)

Looks like you put your steamid64 into the wrong admin slot, make sure you just put your id into the owner slot, once, that will give you full permissions. for ex;

adminMenu_Owner[] = {{"7656xxxxxxxxxxx21","Any name you like (will go in admin log)"}};
  • Mission Select Screen Joining Server

Server Files Is out of date

If you have access to the server file system and can execute, update your server files using STEAMCMD.

Plenty of tutorials online on updating dedicated arma 3 servers, same routine.

ex. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147537-Tutorial-How-to-run-ArmA3-on-a-dedicated-server

Startup Command-line Incorrect (Not loading SC/Config.cfg File)/Servername not same as in config.cfg

Either you have something wrong with your startup parameters, or

A problem with your config.cfg file, or - more likely;

Your command line parameters are setup incorrectly.

To remedy this:

Make sure you copied the SC folder from the zip file to your arma3 server directory. Then use this command line to start your server:

arma3server.exe -mod=@Epoch;@EpochHive; -config=C:\Path\to\Arma3server\SC\config.cfg -ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -port=2302 -profiles=SC -cfg=C:\Path\to\Arma3server\SC\basic.cfg -name=SC

Be sure to replace "C:\Path\to\Arma3server" with the correct path to your arma 3 server directory. (With arma3server.exe inside)

Also replace "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" with the servers remote IP address. (The one the public see, not your lan/local address, you can use http://whatismyipaddress.com/).

Note: You may omit the "-ip=xx... parameter completely if BEC still wont connect after reading the above tips.

Note: You can also omit the full path to your config params, (Thanks to Scoo) eg

-config=SC\config.cfg -cfg=SC\basic.cfg

Feel free to post anything that I may have missed or that you would like to contribute to this faq.

I can guaruntee there are spelling errors but this will do for now :).

Good Luck!

I got a suggestion for this FAQ. I think you should mention BEC a little bit more, especially how to install and configure it on root servers. I think alot of ppl don't want to host their stuff at nitrado etc.

I set up an arma3 server for the first time and missed instructions to BEC itself in the install.txt, I've never heard about it. It is easy to configure but I think this would help some ppl.

regards

Heya,

arma3server.exe -mod=@Epoch;@EpochHive; -config=C:\Path\to\Arma3server\SC\config.cfg -ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -port=2302 -profiles=SC -cfg=C:\Path\to\Arma3server\SC\basic.cfg -name=SC

Be sure to replace "C:\Path\to\Arma3server" with the correct path to your arma 3 server directory. (With arma3server.exe inside)

Actually you can set the path starting from arma 3 server root folder, like so:  -config=SC\config.cfg -cfg=SC\basic.cfg

I think this can makes things easier, since you dont have to change arma 3 path anymore.

I've run into two issues.

I was getting the Server not Ready 02 error then an immediate kick for publicvariable #0. In the included epochAH.hpp file the line:

adminMenu_Owner[] = {}; //{{"STEAMID","ADMINNAME"},{"STEAMID","ADMINNAME2"},...};
needs an extra set of brackets to match the commented out instructions when only using one admin:
adminMenu_Owner[] = {{"#","name"}}; //{{"STEAMID","ADMINNAME"},{"STEAMID","ADMINNAME2"},...};

If BEC loads up and closes itself out with an error about "data type none" it means you skipped the step about renaming the example_BEServer.cfg to BEServer,cfg in the SC\BattlEye folder. I was trying to help a guy with that one for an hour going through settings before I thought to regroup from step one. 

Battleye: Public Variable Restriction #0

When a player joins they get kicked

Check the RPT log, probably mentions something like SERVER VERSION MISMATCH or something. Client doesnt have the same version as the server.

When using the admin tool you get kicked:

Make sure you are using the latest server files and the latest BE Filters included in the SC/Battleye Folder.

Check the Paths to your Battleye folder (in files @EpochHive/EpochServer.ini and BEC/Config/Config.cfg) point to the SC/BattlEye Folder.

Check to make sure BEC has loaded the Watchdog plugin correctly (It should say in the BEC console window).

If you still get kicked there may be a bug (unconfirmed) where your txt filters will be overridden with incorrect values every restart, If this is the case, be patient for a fix.

Workarounds modifying publicvar.txt manually can cause security issues.

(Could be the log rotator, need confirmation).

Does anyone know a permanent fix for the admin tools kick. I mean I can fix the issue every time the exact same way, it is just annoying to do every single time I start the server. This also make auto restarts a pain in the ass since I need to manually restart it after renaming my Beserver.cfg back to normal.

Whenever the cfg files is renamed by the server to "Beserver_active_random#sandletters" my admin tools will not work. I tried making two copies of the cfg, i.e left the renamed one and made a new one beside it. The new just gets renamed as well T_T. Any help is appreciated to help resolve this very annoying issues.

If you use your own batch file you can easily copy over the txt file each time but i think that will create a security issue, without bloating this topic can you PM me and tell me:

Before restart, values in both publicvariable.txt and .original files.

then restart and tell me the new values.

Thanks.

Does anyone know a permanent fix for the admin tools kick. I mean I can fix the issue every time the exact same way, it is just annoying to do every single time I start the server. This also make auto restarts a pain in the ass since I need to manually restart it after renaming my Beserver.cfg back to normal.

Whenever the cfg files is renamed by the server to "Beserver_active_random#sandletters" my admin tools will not work. I tried making two copies of the cfg, i.e left the renamed one and made a new one beside it. The new just gets renamed as well T_T. Any help is appreciated to help resolve this very annoying issues.

I feel the same way. Some times it works and other times it doesn't

One guy they told me that my server wasn't fast and that it wouldn't process the panel correctly. 

But I have 8 gig ram and 2x Quad core procs for just this.

ALSO I added -autoInit to my start up line and it worked for a sec then now not working anymore., 

Any Problems with CPU using 100% also with just 20 ppl on from some time on?

I'd make a new thread, as it will bloat this thread, if u do, post as much info as possible. EG, system spec, and screenshot of process list/resource monitor. Not here though :p.

Please only post if it is concerning this FAQ, either suggestion or question about the FAQ itself.

Thanks guys.

Kinda getting sick of battleye its messing shit up on my server every time it restarts... but the sucky thing is we cant even turn it off as its needed.

I have set up a few servers helping out, and have yet to have battleye problems. If you are running a scripted server then that is up to you to fix the filters. OP's post is for Pure Epoch servers.

My hosters just done some searching though files and noticed BE / Epoch is indeed forcing the battleye filters to rewrite after a while, So it seems some of the scripts that require us to change some filters will end up been rewritten :(

Here it shows you the filters are been recreated... https://www.dropbox.com/s/p658q4kulnprknz/8f83a6e114b7c78a07bde2d94431703a.png?dl=0

Since when has BE done this? On my ArmA 2 Epoch I have never had my filters rewrite themselves...

The kick shown at the bottom is because BE removed my filters and then my script starts kicking me for the things I had already fixed in the BE filters earlier..

Is this something Epoch has made happen or is it BE?

Ps. Feel free to delete my 2 posts if there not to do with the OP :)

**EDIT**

It's actually Watchdogs doing this I guess I can get it removed or disabled... wft is watchdogs anyway only watchdogs I know is the TV program and the game... xD

For you guys getting the admin tools kick you need the WatchDog plugin for Battleye, it will stop the re-writing of the battleye files.

"To use our Anti-Hack and Admin panel you need to also use BEC + the watchdog plugin. Check the Install notes."

I had this issue as well and this will stop the issues.  GL!  Hope this helps!

Guys, I am trying to setup a dedicated arma 3 server and having some problems. I am useing the following command line and it is not reading my config.

arma3server.exe -mod=@Epoch;@EpochHive; -config=C:\arma3 epoch main\SC\config.cfg -ip=142.4.215.109 -port=2337 -profiles=SC -cfg=C:\arma3 epoch main\SC\basic.cfg -name=SC

can anyone tell me if there is something wrong with this?

I have also checked the config file and it is correct.

also if anyone would like to assist me briefly I have a teamspeak server. my ts is......... ht.ts0.eu

Thanks

Prepare your TS with lube. ;).

Probably because you have spaces in your paths. Im sure I added the fact you can use relative paths in the faq. Eg,

Arma.exe -config=SC/config.cfg

It would be much easier if you start your own thread if you have problems. This thread is for the FAQ. Like suggestions etc or other unmentioned problems.

For anyone else with their own problem, I would kindly ask to start your own thread in the server install help sub forum.

Thanks

good luck

I came across two issues (I think) when setting up a local testing server.

1. Even with port forewarding and firewall setup, server will not connect to serverlist when using 2302 as the server port.

I'm guessing some isp's block this or something allong these lines. I changed to port 2322 and it listed perfectly.

So if your server doesn't show after everything else, change port.

2. Before I found it was a port issue, I noticed a line missing in the config.cfg file. (not sure if this is even required now)

reportingIP = "arma3pc.master.gamespy.com";    

Is this even being used anymore? I haven't taken it out to see if my server still lists. I know gamespy was getting phased out. Has this happened already?

1. Sounds like a router issue to me, very strange. Never had taht problem before I would be surprised if an ISP actually bocked game ports. very surprised.

2. Not needed, gamespy was officially dropped from arma 2 about a week ago. (Fully). And arma 3 I believe never used it.

Help me please.

Redis Database Server Problems:

wY81tw0.png

In game stuck at server initializing 

i6BME0e.png

And server not ready (Error 02)

DlakkNl.png

And back to Role assignment

pUDv62i.png

9WaJLFd.png

IxfYSPe.png

redis.conf

bind 127.0.0.1
maxmemory 4gb
save 900 1
save 300 10
save 60 1000
requirepass Changeme9832

EpochServer.ini

[EpochServer]
BattlEyePath = D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Arma 3 Server\SC\BattlEye
InstanceID = NA123

[Redis]
IP = 127.0.0.1
Port = 6379
DB = 0
Password = Changeme9832

[SteamAPI]
Logging = 0
Key = 
VACBanned = 0
VACMinimumNumberOfBans = 0
VACMaximumDaysSinceLastBan = 0
PlayerAllowOlderThan = 0

Cmd start server

@echo off
start arma3server.exe -mod=@AllInArmaTerrainPack;@mas18;@Epoch;@EpochHive;@Emod02; -config=SC\config.cfg -port=2302 -profiles=SC -cfg=SC\basic.cfg -name=SC
exit