Publicvariable.txt being overwritten! - Hence admin menu kicks

PetuniaEpoch

So I, like others, was getting the admin menu kicks.

I edited the publicvariable.txt and rebooted, this ficed it.

However, on the subsequent reboot, the file was overwritten somehow AND a new file created (a backup of my change!) called: 'publicvariable.txt.original'

Not sure what's overwriting this (BEC?) but I suspect that's why people fix the admin menu kick, then find the fix doesn't last through reboots... maybe?

Anyone got any ideas? (batch file for now, to roll back the .original file to the main file, to undo whatever is overwriting? - or is there a BEC setting to disable this?, or is it the log rotator, but I'd have thought that just does the logs, not the .txt rules files?).

This problem is reported by many users but devs only write "install bec and watchdog and see install instructions". However this is NOT a problem due to wrong installation. This is a game bug. BEC NEVER did this before. Also i will not understand why they need BEC for their antihack and why epoch rewrites rules during gameplay. This is alpha okay, but i hope devs will accept, that this is not an installation fault of the users...

As I say, I think the problem is because BEC (or something!) is overwriting the .txt files on reboots.

Seems to be for me anyway...

This problem is reported by many users but devs only write "install bec and watchdog and see install instructions". However this is NOT a problem due to wrong installation. This is a game bug. BEC NEVER did this before....

Make sure you have the correct path to Battleye folder in your epochserver.ini and that BEC + the watch dog plugin is running.

VBAWOL: As i write some posts earlier this is not the main problem. Installation is 100% fine and it is happening also. Game even put in my own Steam ID in the publicvar.txt

The information which are written do not seem to be correct. Better results when NOT using BEC on publicvar.txt as it seems to write non-correct information in it.

BEC only reloads the files it is our DLL that changes the publicvariable.txt so that it will work with our random vars.

Yes i know but your DLL rewrites FALSE entries because when it writes you get kicked. Let me explain:

- Using some function in admin menu -> no problem

- Using SAME function in admin menu some time later -> kick by battleye (with installed bec and such)

- Looking into publicvar.txt tells  there are new parameters in which bec "published" ingame

- Reconnect faild beeing kickt immediately after joining

- Reset publicvar.txt manual (switch to original one)

- Connection is possible. After some time using admin menu same error again

After turning BEC off just for publicvar.txt and let it in original state you have no problem till restart because the changes are not pushed to game.

Conclusion: DLL of mod is changing something which should better not be changed. For example calling admin menu, teleporting and such.

With fresh publicvar.txt as you deliver there is no problem until dll changes content of file.

Tested 100 times.

Regards

Yes i know but your DLL rewrites FALSE entries because when it writes you get kicked. Let me explain:

- Using some function in admin menu -> no problem

- Using SAME function in admin menu some time later -> kick by battleye (with installed bec and such)

- Looking into publicvar.txt tells  there are new parameters in which bec "published" ingame

- Reconnect faild beeing kickt immediately after joining

- Reset publicvar.txt manual (switch to original one)

- Connection is possible. After some time using admin menu same error again

After turning BEC off just for publicvar.txt and let it in original state you have no problem till restart because the changes are not pushed to game.

Conclusion: DLL of mod is changing something which should better not be changed. For example calling admin menu, teleporting and such.

With fresh publicvar.txt as you deliver there is no problem until dll changes content of file.

Testet 100 times.

Regards

The publicVariable.txt is only changed once early on server startup, it would not change it during gameplay and even if it did BEC + watchdog will update Battleye and it still should not be an issue.

The publicVariable.txt is only changed once early on server startup, it would not change it during gameplay and even if it did BEC + watchdog will update Battleye and it still should not be an issue.

So there is this issue which is not an issue. Sorry vbawol but i am not that dumb in IT. I see the changes during gameplay and after that there IS the problem being kicked. As long is i forbid bec to change the file. I do not want to talk sh*t about your team or something. I love the work you do with epoch but this error IS HERE. No way of misconfiguration as it is plane install

Checked that of course. Not my first server using BEC ;) It is reloading. As soon as file is changed it reloads. And that is the problem. If it would not reload, there would be no problem. Since turning of reload of publicvar.txt there is no problem till restart. When i overwrite battleye configs with your original ones there is also no problem.

However. I am out of that discussion as it seems that you don't take myself serious. Will work around myself and be sure it will dissapear some time as user count reporting this bug gets higher...

Cheers

Checked that of course. Not my first server using BEC ;) It is reloading. As soon as file is changed it reloads. And that is the problem. If it would not reload, there would be no problem. Since turning of reload of publicvar.txt there is no problem till restart. When i overwrite battleye configs with your original ones there is also no problem.

However. I am out of that discussion as it seems that you don't take myself serious. Will work around myself and be sure it will dissapear some time as user count reporting this bug gets higher...

Cheers

First your not the OP of this post, and second I am not sure what your problem is.

The problem is the problem a lot of players have and what i described in a few threads here and what the OP described, tried to help those people. Therefore i gave you detailed problem discription. Did not know that i have to be the OP to describe problem...

But the publicvariable exception change keeps un-doing the excemption people add for the admin menu, resulting in them suddenly being kicked for the issue.

Luckily I'd already done as MGT suggests and set to read only and it's fixed it.

Surely though needing to do that means there is an issue?  Too many people have reported stuff like adding the exemption then after some time being kicked again - it  seems to be down to the publicvariable.txt file being updated on the fly, undoing the exemption for the admin tool...

This is what people have experienced, in what I think is the right order for most people:

1) kicked for admin tools

2) fix publicvariables.txt by adding excemption

3) All good - no kicks for admin tools

4) Watchdog re-loads publicvariables.txt after it's updated on the fly

5) Kicked for using admin tool

6) Check publicvariables.txt - exemption was remove by the aforementioned update

You guys are doing a great job with EPOCH :) - There does seem to be something funky going on with the publicvariable update though - surely it's not supposed to cause people to keep getting kicked for using admin tools?

The publicvariable exceptions we add are randomly generated that is by design and intentional. Hence the need to reload the file in BE when it changes.

But the publicvariable exception change keeps un-doing the excemption people add for the admin menu, resulting in them suddenly being kicked for the issue.

I've done as MGT suggests and set to read only and it's fixed it.

Surely though needing to do that means there is an issue?  Too many people have reported stuff like adding the exemption then after some time being kicked again - it  seems to be down to the publicvariable.txt file being updated on the fly, undoing the exemption for the admin tool...

that's what i say...

Setting the publicvariable.txt file to Read-Only isn't a solution guys.

The game creates new values on every restart and writes them into an updated publicvariable.txt that WatchDog then updates and reloads. Eg:

!="oabtfzgkvipyeqleosjatzwuyt" !="kifxfnjdffbkutkhutwapyyqublqe" !="yytjpyokqrewksdbcjworcbv"

If you set your file to Read-Only you're going to run into problems where you're getting kicked for Public Variable Restriction #0 again. Probably on the next server restart.

The unfortunate part of this, is that it basically makes it impossible to install any scripts that need to modify the PublicVariable.txt file as it get over-written on restart.

I was able to add R3F Lift/Tow to my server. Took about an hour of testing to iron out all the BE filter issues. One exception needs to be added to the publicvariable.txt file. Game works great when this exception is there, and Lift/Tow works perfectly. However after restart, the publicvariable.txt file is regenerated by the game, and then reloaded by WatchDog, and the custom exception is now no longer in the filter file. This causes players to get kicked when trying to use the Lift/Tow script.

There's got to be a better way around this.

Ok i have the first release files and have everything working admin menu including. Now that I have installed the patched version now i have the same issue as everyone here has been talking about. I have checked and rechecked and its still a no go. So some thing in the latest patch broke. I love Epoch a lot and see some of the post/comments the admins have made (not calling names) but has been very upsetting and disappointing. THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE DLL OR BEC.

I don't think there's anything "wrong" really.  Some of us are doing something wrong I think.  If it's working for some folks and not others than that means some of us are missing something.  Same with the false VAC bans.  Don't know what it could be though.  I'm out of ideas.