Commercial hosts win, communities lose, how come ?

Richie

Yes lets spam the general discussion with server ads...... :rolleyes:

That was pretty much what I thought when i saw the thread. I've assumed that once the server files are made public the "Official Servers" forum would be renamed to accommodate the communities servers also. Or something to that effect anyway.

Well, one of the admins here removed our A3 Epoch server advert from this forum, most likely due to this:

[17:32:27] [VB]AWOL (Epoch): Our GSP supporters deserve to get the files first, you guys second and the public last.

This was said earlier today in the official server hosts group.

Very, very disappointing guys.

I would assume its because of the servers...

It's put like this so that Epoch doesn't "Make Money" off it, but instead they get the servers to host it/develop.

I would assume its because of the servers...

It put like this so that Epoch doesn't "Make Money" off it, but instead they get the servers to host it/develop.

Correct, but it's just for development and to have servers for you guys to play on while the files are private. We use GSP's because they stand to lose a lot if they break our terms. This is why there weren't that many community servers. As a thank you to them and the community hosted servers, we have given them files early for testing. We should have the files out within the next 5-8 hours tops.

Correct, but it's just for development and to have servers for you guys to play on while the files are private. We use GSP's because they stand to lose a lot if they break our terms. This is why there weren't that many community servers. As a thank you to them and the community hosted servers, we have given them files early for testing. We should have the files out within the next 5-8 hours tops.

so why not tell us that from the beginning? i am not bothered if they are delayed. just be upfront with the facts please.

Can you not see how saying that GSPs "deserve" to get them first is a kick in the teeth to pretty much every single person here?

Not to mention that you're pretty much reneging on your promise to deliver the server files simultaneously for both GSPs and those of us with dedicated servers.

Also, while we're here, lets address the fact that you've locked the server files down to the extent that it's virtually impossible to add ANYTHING custom to our servers.

It says in your Install.txt - note, I haven't actually checked this yet, but we're talking about INTENT here - that you've added some sort of signature check to EpochServer.dll, which checks the server PBO and refuses to work if it has been modified in any way. Add to this the fact that ALL of your code - and I mean ALL of it - is in the server PBO, and it pretty much makes it impossible for anyone to mod their servers.

Please note: Any a3_epoch_server.pbo updates require that you also update the EpochServer.dll. a3_epoch_server.pbo cannot be modified without making it incompatible with the DLL.

Was it REALLY necessary to go to those lengths to stifle community spirit?

Can you not see how saying that GSPs "deserve" to get them first is a kick in the teeth to pretty much every single person here?

Not to mention that you're pretty much reneging on your promise to deliver the server files simultaneously for both GSPs and those of us with dedicated servers.

Also, while we're here, lets address the fact that you've locked the server files down to the extent that it's virtually impossible to add ANYTHING custom to our servers.

It says in your Install.txt - note, I haven't actually checked this yet, but we're talking about INTENT here - that you've added some sort of signature check to EpochHive.dll, which checks the server PBO and refuses to work if it has been modified in any way. Add to this the fact that ALL of your code - and I mean ALL of it - is in the server PBO, and it pretty much makes it impossible for anyone to mod their servers.

Tbh, i dont blame them if the community races to make the game easier and easier until everyone loses interest. Might be for the best, yeh.

The other thing to consider too is that the mod is still in Alpha development.  And let's call a spade a spade for a minute...we all know good and well that soon as the files hit the open air people are going to do all kinds of crazy stuff with them, trying to mod their servers and customize stuff.  That's just the kind of people we are.  There's nothing wrong with that, per se, but with the mod in its current form letting people loose on it just isn't smart from a development point of view.  I understand their rationale here and it makes perfect sense.  

I just hope that once Epoch hits 1.0 that they'll loosen things back up to how it was with A2 Epoch.  This community is what took the already awesome mod and helped it evolve into the gaming household name that it is today.  

It says in your Install.txt - note, I haven't actually checked this yet, but we're talking about INTENT here - that you've added some sort of signature check to EpochServer.dll, which checks the server PBO and refuses to work if it has been modified in any way. Add to this the fact that ALL of your code - and I mean ALL of it - is in the server PBO, and it pretty much makes it impossible for anyone to mod their servers.

First off, the files that have been let out are simply test files that will be needing replacement. Second they got them first because we wanted to say thank you to them for letting us use a dedicated boxs "THAT ARE NOT FREE FOR THEM" for a unknown period of time. 

As for modding our work....... You could always make your own mod and do it however you like.

Don't come in here throwing stones. We make NO PROFIT from what we do and we do it for the community. So STFU, sit the fuck down and wait like everyone else has to.

First off, the files that have been let out are simply test files that will be needing replacement. Second they got them first because we wanted to say thank you to them for letting us use a dedicated boxs "THAT ARE NOT FREE FOR THEM" for a unknown period of time. 

As for modding our work....... You could always make your own mod and do it however you like.

Don't come in here throwing stones. We make NO PROFIT from what we do and we do it for the community. So STFU, sit the fuck down and wait like everyone else has to.

FUCK YEAH

You gotta love him!!!!!

Test they say...... Should the test not have happens dayz before? Not like this release date was set yesterday.

Current date in my time zone: 1/12/2014 4:30pm PST 

I know it sucks but we are fairly close.

This simply isn't true, surely an amateur can't copy-paste a bunch of distasteful changes like we've seen in the past...any modifications will actually take some effort, thought and time.

I would suggest learning how to introduce whatever changes you'd like properly.

This simply isn't true, surely an amateur can't copy-paste a bunch of distasteful changes like we've seen in the past...any modifications will actually take some effort, thought and time.

goodbye to all noob servers ;)

Ummmmmm. I dont really understand what you mean or who your say it too. Explain a bit more for me, please?

Speaking of modding, AWOL mentioned some sort of documentation for server owners a few weeks back. Are those bundled with the upcoming release of the server files or are they still a WIP? Just curious.   :)

We will release documentation on our backend systems so that everyone can take advantage of what I think is a really powerful and flexible system.

I would like to see A3 EPOCH Scripting forums category i think alot of people will have a part in contributing some fixes even if it's only a battleye filters.

So why is there a CRC check in your EpochServer.dll which crashes arma3server.exe if you modify the server PBO?