What makes a good map?

Achmed

I'm considering trying my hand at creating an arma 3 map but before I start I just wanted to get a feel for what people think makes a good map.

The only things I know for sure currently is that I want to do a map using English names for towns and areas along with hidden areas to discover.

Currently the plan would be about 75/25 land to sea.

• 3 weeks later...

A mixture of terrain is what makes a great map.  You want city areas where players can meet and find loot and battle.  But you also want large expanses of open areas and equally large areas of secluded places too.  The road networks matter as well.  Getting from place to place should be simple but not too easy.  Obviously roads have to follow the terrain for the most part, so take into account where you want roads to travel and try to keep from having the need for excessive hairpin turns and roller coaster hills.  A few here and there is ok, but not every single one.  The Trinity map was a perfect example of a very poorly designed road network.  The map was beautiful in its looks, but getting from place to place was a nightmare.  

I don't know HOW he's doing it, but it seems to work.  Just spawns on the ground though.

I could have made loot spawn in 'containers' like Epoch Altis does atm, but this saved me some work.

As for the 'HOW' part.

That's the magic of Santa my friend ;)

For a good map:

Size, Survival games need a huge map to stay with their survivalfeeling, also you need places to hide out

Matter (in connection with size) (The larger the map the more survival experience -> more way to drive/walk to get a good living)

Performance (obvious)

And the most important:

Scenery, nothing is more important, every famous map has its own very specific one. If you want a good map you need a real life example and build up the exact same atmosphere

Chernarus -> Ukraine terrain, dark, salvaged -> atmospheric 

Napf -> Switzerland atmosphere (as of what the author said) if weather is right its almost the same like chernarus, same goes for sauerland

all of them got mountains and large flatland as well as mixtures of those 

large flat maps like Altis which can easily been overseen (overwatched hehe) from a single hill are the death for every survival aspects...

Also the Vegetation is a big point. Woods > Desert 

• 2 months later...

I think originality is pritty important, you need to make it as new too any one, but also that they get the feeling of confortable.

Places were you can rest out from battle and you can build your base, and stay hidden from bandits and stuff like that.

I think maps with those aspects are pritty good

Greets

-EditedSnowHD

The Netherlands