State of the game

gopostal

Just curious what the state of the game is currently? I used to run servers and did quite a bit of custom script work. I was forced to take time off to recover from stg4 cancer but I'm over the hump now. I was thinking about getting a server again and playing some, maybe even restoring my old database and mod package for Napf. I hopped into a couple of random servers last night and it was very fun.

Is there still an active public player base, enough to spend the time updating my scripts and setting up a server? I see people are moving towards Arma 3 but I'm happy with this version honestly and I'd like to stay here. Anyway it's nice to see people still posting and working on things. It's good to be back around :)

There are thousands of servers. Too many servers for not enough players. I probably average about 15 to 20 players at peak times on my Napf server and about 10 to 15 peak on my Chernarus server but I don't do the whole militarized Overpoch thing. Instead my servers are a combination of settings to create what I've dubbed The Survivalist mod. It's tough to get a popular server.

Good to see you seem to be doing better!

Just curious what the state of the game is currently?

Still a lot of people active on making mods / enhancements etc. Sadly the Epoch devs seem to have left A2 and moved on to A3, however they did promise to release 1.6.X at some point..

Is there still an active public player base, enough to spend the time updating my scripts and setting up a server?

Yes there is still a pretty big active player base, but it is in decline.. Like raymix I think it will be very hard to start from scratch and succeeding in getting an active server again. Maybe the best thing to do is partner up with some one, it seems like a lot of server could use some extra attention.

It's tough to get players unless your server is militarized, you spawn with an AS50, you can build a mozzie out of your ass, you can select where you would like to spawn, zombies don't run, and admins give out free briefcases. Unless you have those things on your server you want be getting any players. Just goes to show how shit the A2 Dayz community has gotten.

What Triage said unfortunately.

I Have hopped around a little bit, keep trying to play on servers which are more difficult and do not offer freebies such as BC's and high military loot spawns, servers don't and won't get populated.

Recently jumped on NMG Bolt Action server, was 16 players or so when I played saturday night, came to jump on tonight and there is 2 or 3, and the server was fun to play, getting use to only first person was interesting too.

Nope do not agree with that. As long as you keep things fresh as an admin, players will actually like the fact they wont get anything for free on your server. It does mean a lot of maintenance and hard work to keep enhancing your server, but if you want to keep things interesting that is the way to go.

Stuff that has helped us a lot and should help any community.

1. Make sure the server runs smooth as silk
    This takes a lot of debugging and optimizing, but players will love a server that gives them the least possible lag and high framerates - LEARN HOW TO DEBUG USING THE SERVER/CLIENT rpt.

2. Regular events
    Just to keep things interesting for everyone, doesnt need to be anything fancy. Just something everyone can participate in.

3. Active admins
    Needless to say you need active monitoring of your server to prevent problems and keep order.

4. Harsh rules
    They actually work, make sure your players know that nothing comes for free so
    no handouts, tp's or anything like that. Only reimburst players for lost gear if it was a server error that caused them to lose it.

5. Active steam group
    This makes a big difference. If you regularly post news / updates and events on your Steam group, your members will get a popup and will get more involved with your server.

6. Active website
    Make sure not to neclect this. You may want to use the RSS feed from your Steam group to add news to your website.

7. Add new stuff regularly
    Keeping things fresh will keep most of your playerbase excited. Everyone likes to explore so give them something regularly and don't tell them what it is :P

Feel free to add to the list. Would be nice to turn this thread into a hints & tips thingie :)

I appreciate the honest responses and opinions. I did the whole 'overblown' thing on my servers and it was just stupid. The unending work on the database was what drove me to stop, I just don't have the energy for all that any more.

When I shut down I was already thinking of rebooting the PvP server with a much more 'real' experience. Absolutely no military weapons, vehicles, etc. Everything would be done as close as possible to what you would expect in a true world zombie scenario. No traders, no safe zones, no rules. If you found a simple base you would know that person was a baller. I have no idea if this would be popular but I'd sure play it. Dayz was meant to be brutally hard, spawning with a DMR makes it "Call of DayZ" and just ruins things (I think).

I still haven't decided if I'll make a run at things or not. Might see if an existing group wants an at-large dev to join. The idea of having to spend evenings setting up a website/forum does not appeal to me in the least. I have to be pretty judicial with my energy expenditure, not much in the reserve tank.

Thanks again guys. I look forward to seeing you on the servers

....in my crosshairs

Peace! 

First of all to say it's nice that your recovered from cancer!

2nd.

I think alot of communities would be better off merging.

Hey even i would consider it. 30 players on a wendsday is good but still. I think it's better to go under 1 name having multiple servers and have a decent team + foundation. Then individual communites with 1 server that could break any minut.

Me myself for example. I would prefer to work more in a Dev team. I joined a community because it already had a Decent dev. But since i joined, he just dropped work and i had to do basicly everything myself again. I would prefer a 2-5 man team with a good server versioning on Git for example. Make this files compatible over different maps so u don't have to change much and boom. U got a nice working communtie.

There are too many server with people that want to bring something unique to the table but they end up being 1 of the 3000 servers which are basicly the same scripts from the forums. 

Ok i tend to release scripts to the public and maybe i shouln't give them to all. Maybe we need to be more secretly and just join up and get a decent thing going.

I'm not just talking about having players, I'm talking about a popular community.

Well you might want to review your previous post then. To me this ("It's tough to get players unless your server is militarized, you spawn with an AS50, you can build a mozzie out of your ass, you can select where you would like to spawn, zombies don't run, and admins give out free briefcases. Unless you have those things on your server you want be getting any players.") suggested you were talking players. Anyway first step of building a community is getting player i guess..

--

@OP: You can have our website files if you'd like. Saves you the trouble of setting one up yourself. Send me a PM if interested.

@Zupa: Don't cross to the dark side please :p

@OP: You can have our website files if you'd like. Saves you the trouble of setting one up yourself. Send me a PM if interested.

I might take you up on that, if only to compare what I have to what you have to see the changes in action. It's one thing to read a changelog and very much another to see the actual script. I pretty much had everything on my PvP Napf server so class comparison will give me a good idea what's been done. I promise you though that there will be no "duplicate server" nonsense. I'm very aware that sharing involves respect and etiquette and I make sure those are observed on my end.

First of all to say it's nice that your recovered from cancer!

Me myself for example. I would prefer to work more in a Dev team. I joined a community because it already had a Decent dev. But since i joined, he just dropped work and i had to do basicly everything myself again. I would prefer a 2-5 man team with a good server versioning on Git for example. Make this files compatible over different maps so u don't have to change much and boom. U got a nice working communtie.

Honestly guys I'm with you on the run a server via a consortium of staff thing. It's near a full time job for a single person to run a server. Hobby-level gamers just don't want to spend 8-10 hours a week doing everything, then trying to fit playtime in somewhere. It's too much to ask of one guy. You really need two and preferably three.

Thanks for the cancer good word. It kicked my ass. Lost so much weight/muscle mass my doctor almost forced me to retire. I've been holding steady for a bit however and I'm getting a little bored sitting around. Might be nice to get back into the game. I played and coded for Unreal Tournament for years (still do some) but DayZ may be my favorite game of all time.

I might take you up on that, if only to compare what I have to what you have to see the changes in action. It's one thing to read a changelog and very much another to see the actual script. I pretty much had everything on my PvP Napf server so class comparison will give me a good idea what's been done. I promise you though that there will be no "duplicate server" nonsense. I'm very aware that sharing involves respect and etiquette and I make sure those are observed on my end.

Was talking website files, not server files.

--

You can get our mission pbo by simply joining our server, i don't mind if people snoop around those to see some of the changes we have done.

Was talking website files, not server files.

--

You can get our mission pbo by simply joining our server, i don't mind if people snoop around those to see some of the changes we have done.

I'm unable to send you a PM - I have some questions i'd like to ask you. 

What's the best way to contact you ?