View distance cap breaking scenery on hill tops at distance.

TayTayTheKiller

1. The server you were playing on. GPDE02

2. What arma3 build and what Epoch build you are using 0.2.0.1

3. What it was you were doing Gunfight in the night time

4. Is it repeatable yes

Last night we ended up in a long range gunfight 800 - 1200m+ and it was a total nightmare.

Anyone else seem to notice floating rocks/ trees on hill tops in the distance? This made for a right nightmare of a gun fight, people seemed to be walking in mid air due to rocks not rendering correctly and shots hitting invisible rocks also.

I don't have this issue in the editor or any missions etc so at a guess I think its where epoch is limiting the view distance/render distance somehow?

(Crappy screens below But should show the point)

851de6eb73.jpg

716d7bd03b.jpg

84d452fe3f.jpg

thats an engine bug, I had it a few times and floating stuff isnt even the worst thing.

If you set up your viewdistance right, some models (i.e. the large watchtowers) tempt to get invisible or the walls get invisible when scoping in.

Yeah that's what i'm saying the default view distance in epoch is to low. :(

View distance seems to be locked in epoch.

I guess its not only the viewdistance..

we got them sniperscops to be able to shoot targets at 1,1 km without flaws, going up to 2km without zeroing

I guess this should be thought about because there is effective viewdistance of 3km needed to prevent this bug I guess, at least as of what I've seen in editor

I guess its not only the viewdistance..

we got them sniperscops to be able to shoot targets at 1,1 km without flaws, going up to 2km without zeroing

I guess this should be thought about because there is effective viewdistance of 3km needed to prevent this bug I guess, at least as of what I've seen in editor

Yeah dropping the view distance up and down in the editor I couldn't really replicate this.

I'm guessing there is many more factors involved weather/fog etc.

View distance has to have a cap on it sadly, or people with better machines than others get a massive advantage 

They should get an advantage, maybe have a tramps only server ?

People who want the best possible experience spend more money, why should they be capped because people are too tight to buy a decent rig ?

honestly this is quite a detriment.  I have seen this issue as close as 1km away and there is nothing a user can do because it is set server side.  This is also probably one of the reasons that epoch gets such good fps but of course some of the ways they code have helped that as well.  Also this is not a overall distance problem but rather an object visibility problem (note the settings for view distance include overall and object view distance).  I have tested this and have come to realize that you generally need 2.5km of object view distance to allow for sniping at 2km distance.  Even with this setting there can be a small amount of variance but it is worlds better than what we currently have.

+1 Got the same bugs with a decent machine and view distance maxed. It is in fact restricted by the server settings.

I feel like i was able to look half the island in the editor, but this gave me about 20 frames, flying in the heli.

But i guess a viewing distance for about 3 Km should be possible.

Whats the server cap right now? 2? 3? 1,5?

Yes it is a Arma Issue you can find more infos on the bug tracker: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=8658You could fixing it a bit by changing your Terrain settings to Ultra.

My terrain settings were already at ultra.  That in no way fixes the problem.  It is as I stated earlier all about object view distance and what the server is setup to show.

+1 Got the same bugs with a decent machine and view distance maxed. It is in fact restricted by the server settings.

I feel like i was able to look half the island in the editor, but this gave me about 20 frames, flying in the heli.

But i guess a viewing distance for about 3 Km should be possible.

Whats the server cap right now? 2? 3? 1,5?

Currently it seems it is set to around 2km but sometimes it is hard to tell due to fog.   Fog causes the view distance to lessen and quite often I can only see out to about 1.5km (note these are in one direction, radius, not a diameter).  It would be nice to set both object and overall distance to 3km but I'm not entirely sure you can set both to the same value.  I know you can set them both to the same value when in settings but that is for single player/editor.

came here specifically to see what has been posted on this. Had this issue last night, it is a massive deal breaker. Not only could I not shoot my sniper targets, but these guys who thought they were in cover were glaringly obvious to me as to where they were. I just had to stalk them. So I was disadvantaged as I wasted precious ammo thinking I had clear shots, then they were severely disadvantaged as I could follow them all the way to clear space.  

They should get an advantage, maybe have a tramps only server ?

People who want the best possible experience spend more money, why should they be capped because people are too tight to buy a decent rig ?

This is literally the stupidest thing I have read in a long time, thats like saying why do I have to drive the same speed as everyone else on the road when my Ferrari goes much much quicker.

This is literally the stupidest thing I have read in a long time, thats like saying why do I have to drive the same speed as everyone else on the road when my Ferrari goes much much quicker.

taking that way out of context. games are getting more computer intensive and if you cant play this game its nobodys fault but your own. you cant cut corners when it alters game play in this way

this is getting out of hand,

the bug is regardless reproducible on any spec of hardware!

it depends on settings and even the high end gamers can take an unfair advantage out of this bug

what we are saying is that the settings are set server side, and not client side.

and if the view distance is increased then people playing with shitty computers will get a performance drop

taking that way out of context. games are getting more computer intensive and if you cant play this game its nobodys fault but your own. you cant cut corners when it alters game play in this way

My PC is fine, but what you are saying is you should be able to sit at 12k render distance and hit people 3k away who cannot even load you in. This is why the render distance cap exists. You are idiots.

My PC is fine, but what you are saying is you should be able to sit at 12k render distance and hit people 3k away who cannot even load you in. This is why the render distance cap exists. You are idiots.

This is totally game breaking all It needs is a 1 to 1.5k boost to fix the issue. We are not talking about allowing people to set it at anything they want you idiot........

dude, the view cap is set SERVER SIDE. what im saying is increase it like 1-1.5k like taytay said above to get rid of this issue.

nobdys asking for 12k view cap.

how many times did i have to explain this?