DAFUQ is with the new helis, dem mechanics though

SmokieMcPot

just picked up a taru from a dumbass who was afk at his base, walked right up as a freshie and took a gun off of his rack and shot him in the face, promptly landed it in a safe location now im going in the workshop to take some flight lessions with this new system. and good to know it has thermal but its deff OP, can i tow vehicles with this thing?

I haven't had the chance to fly in Epoch since the DLC came just yet. I have however practiced with a few scenarios and showcases using the rotorlib.

But my question is, are the advanced controls enforced on Epoch servers? 
Cos that would be awesome.

I'd advise most people that know the basics of the new mechanics to just sell your heli because you'll end up crashing them somehow because of the new fucked up and shitty flying system.

I felt an urge to call you names 'n stuff, not because you have a different opinion on the matter but because of the way you are expressing it :) But let's move past that -  it seems that you are upset somehow, and that anger got the better of you.

Anyway, would you please elaborate a bit on what's "fucked up and shitty" about the new FM in your opinion?

The new "Advanced" flight model is designed around the use of joystick and pedals, it can work with a mouse and keyboard, but it will be a challenge to execute smooth maneuvers. It completely changes the way throttle works as well, so if you're used to the old flightmodel its gonna take some practice.

Remember, if you find that the new flightmodel isn't for you, you can always turn it off.

The Problem is the new 'Advanced flight model'. Normaly everybody can set it to advanced or normal (the old one). But on 'veteran' difficulty the advanced model is set and you can't change. The devs can edit the server.config so the flight model can set clientside :) Would be good if they change it like this :)

If they make it optional no one would use it. Who would want to make flying harder for themselves?

I'd advise most people that know the basics of the new mechanics to just sell your heli because you'll end up crashing them somehow because of the new fucked up and shitty flying system.

How are you supposed to fly it to a trader if you can't fly it in the first place?  :)

People that don't want the new Flight system are lazzy people that wants to play an arcade game.  The error of bohemian was not erase the old flight mechanic and put only the new one.  I don't know what is the problem to learn this new mechanic, yes take time (no more of one hour in the editor) but this feature give more deep to the game.

And i see that all of you that complain and said that the new system is shit, broke, don't work, etc.   when  we asked to elaborate and answer about that, say nothing.  So i must understand that all complaints are not about the new systems but by the inability of adapt to it.

i would also agree, it is a hell of alot more realistic then the old system and id like to retract all previous statements about this new flight system,
I FUCKING LOVE IT!!! so much more challenging and accurate then the last and it doesn't allow just every bambi to run up and handle them like they've been flying their whole life. and towing vehicles with these things are so much fun, the weight distribution, gear/doors being open effecting the flight pattern. its awesome, but there's a huge problem with most of them, their buggy as hell, most dlc choppers like to bounce 5 feet when your first hopping in them (this has caused me to loose at least 6 choppers in the past 4 days) and their spawns need to be checked out, 3/5 times i find one its on such a steep incline the wheel brakes don't do a thing and the copter just rolls into a tree or something and boom, paired with the hopping and its a near definite death trap when you don't find a heli on an open flat area

All in all i LOVE the new flight mechanics but the new choppers need ALOT of work.

The Advanced Flight Model gives you more "control" of the Helicopters flight input, it doesn't mimic realistic flight aerodynamics and is only ~35% capability of an actual helicopters flight input.

The best way to put it is that in the Standard Flight Model, the helicopters may feel arcade-ish, but their capabilities are very near what an an above-average to expert pilots capabilities are in real life.  Novice Arma 2/3 pilots are not able to perform at this level, I would estimate that 95%+ of the population uses auto-hover in some form to land or stabilize their helicopter in tight spots.  Most pilots that I've watched from MILSIM communities require a large lead-in and perform direct approach flares to land, meaning that their approaches are often pretty slow.  There are a few great pilots that can do indirect flares or fast direct approaches that I've seen from watching YouTube, I've seen about as many in-game between Arma 2/DayZ Mods and Arma 3.

Bottom line is, the number of people pushing a helicopter to its limits in Arma 3 is a low percentage of the whole.

The primary takeaway regarding the Advanced Flight Model is that those limits (what the helicopter can physically do) are much lower and by being lower, they are not realistic.  The best way to make up for this complete lack of realism in aerodynamics is to use a throttle/stick/pedals. This is a game where the best way to auto-rotate is to hold UP Collective and fly straight.  (eg, the opposite of what you would do in real life)  There are numerous errors in Bohemia making the game more "difficult" by making the game less realistic and the way the helicopters handle in the Advanced Flight Model is one of them.

I'm the type of person who wants the guy in my squad who doesn't fly very often to at least be able to fly our Helicopter back to base with zero risk of pilot error destroying our hard work.  The people who are pilots can't always be on, things pop up mid game session and Altis is a big map.

I have a stick/throttle/pedals, I fly helicopters in real life, I think Bohemia has people from the 1800s working for them saying, "No way could a machine do that".

no means is it realistic, but its more realistic then the arcade style (like the way you put that), and your negative is one of my favorite things. Now not everyone can fly a heli which increases crashes, which increases the chances of you finding them and not some mega base hoarding them. im the designated pilot of the group, we have another guy who took the flight lessons and is getting much better, but the other members of the group wont even touch the pilot seat lol

You are saying it's more realistic because people can't walk into it without training.

The problem is it's less realistic because it's not even remotely close to how an actual helicopter performs.

I like how everyone here emphasises their opinion of the new Advanced Flight Model with phrases like "not even remotely close how an actual helicopter performs" or "it is a hell of alot more realistic", trying to sound like they are speaking the absolute truth.

In my opinion: I kinda like the new flight model. Sure it is far easier to achieve some maneuvers with the Standard Flight Model, but at the same time you can do things with SFM that are completely unrealistic. This combined with the easier controls of SFM is the reason why you see every "noob" pulling off a crazy kamikaze stunt flight once they get a hold of helicopter in Altis Life for example. They are not even trying to survive the experience, because there is no challenge using the vehicle or no penalty for death. It think its not the flight models job to emulate my flight skills, so naturally I like that the game has now something with a much deeper learning curve.

I wonder how much more difficult Advanced Flight Model gets once they introduce the Vortex Ring State...  Anyway I'll gladly accept the new challenge. ;)

As I stated earlier, I like the new FM for the challenge it introduces (just to be clear) :)

Anyway, I read a lot of people mentioning realism and comparing to RL helicopters - are you guys pilots IRL? I mean, I agree with your arguments and opinions, it's just that it's unusual how peopple are trying to compare our in-game experience with RL, and my assumption is that the chances are low that we have that many pilots here :)

I'm not a real life pilot, and I'm not even trying to claim that I have a full understanding of the mechanics of helicopter flight. Arma games have actual military and civilian helicopter pilots in its community. So I would rather leave the judging of flight models realism to these individuals, not to some sim pilots with strong opinions. I am mostly concerned how the new flight model affects the gameplay of Epoch, and so far I haven't seen anything bad about it.

Recently I have been testing the AFM with and without analog controllers, doing takeoffs, landings, sling loading, etc. I found that with some practise it is possible to operate all the different helicopters with just keyboard and mouse. So basic usage of these vehicles is possible without some expensive joystick and pedals setup. That is one of the reason why I have nothing against AFM being forced on servers.

As I stated earlier, I like the new FM for the challenge it introduces (just to be clear) :)

Anyway, I read a lot of people mentioning realism and comparing to RL helicopters - are you guys pilots IRL? I mean, I agree with your arguments and opinions, it's just that it's unusual how peopple are trying to compare our in-game experience with RL, and my assumption is that the chances are low that we have that many pilots here :)

A lot of people who play Arma have extensive experience in helicopters as crewmen, some were pilots, others may have extensive experience as being infantry or special operations where you can spend some time/a lot of time around helicopters.  Others spent some of their Mongomery G.I. Bill on helicopter certification schools prior to transferring it to the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill.