Questions to License on server files

Panadur

Hi,

I hav a question about the CC-License used.

NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.

Does it mean, that we will be allowed to modify the server files and overwrite scripts from client files with modified versions in the mission file, as long as we do not offer a downloadlink for the modified files except for the automatic download of the missionfile f.e. for bug fixing or adding features? Or is this already distribution of the modified material?

I'm just asking because i don't want to violate the license.

Hi,

I hav a question about the CC-License used.

Does it mean, that we will be allowed to modify the server files and overwrite scripts from client files with modified versions in the mission file, as long as we do not offer a downloadlink for the modified files except for the automatic download of the missionfile f.e. for bug fixing or adding features? Or is this already distribution of the modified material?

I'm just asking because i don't want to violate the license.

once you are allowed to host a server you cant modify the files you will have to sign something agreeing on that and the files for that wont be released till the mod is at .5  but if you have  ? ask the devs for more info on that 

It means you can't use any of their code, copy it into another mod and then release it to the public.  You can modify settings within the files.  But you cannot modify the files, repackage them as another mod and then offer it to the public with your name on it.  It's basic copyright stuff.  You can host the client files on a file server that you own and offer them to your gaming community for download to make it easier for them to obtain as long as you don't modify them.

It would be really awesome if a developer could answer this please.

I don't want to know if i can offer anything to others, i only want to know if bugfixing or modifying the files for my own server and missionfile , where my players from my community play the game, also means ditributing files. If yes, then this would violate the license, so we are not allowed to do this as long as the developers do not allow this. I do not want to give any changes or bugfixes to other people except for the developers team (if they want it)

It would be really awesome if a developer could answer this please.

I don't want to know if i can offer anything to others, i only want to know if bugfixing or modifying the files for my own server and missionfile , where my players from my community play the game, also means ditributing files. If yes, then this would violate the license, so we are not allowed to do this as long as the developers do not allow this. I do not want to give any changes or bugfixes to other people except for the developers team (if they want it)

From what I ready you aren't allowed to modify their code in any way.

The community has always altered code to fix bugs and make the mod better.

That's why there's a github that people can commit fixes/changes to.

For one, how would they even know if you've modified the server files, and two, if you are committing changes/bug fixes aren't you just helping them out?

This is a community right? One of the reasons A2 Epoch is still alive and kicking is because of the community support of the mod and the changes that have been made from other coders on this forum.

The community has always altered code to fix bugs and make the mod better.

That's why there's a github that people can commit fixes/changes to.

For one, how would they even know if you've modified the server files, and two, if you are committing changes/bug fixes aren't you just helping them out?

This is a community right? One of the reasons A2 Epoch is still alive and kicking is because of the community support of the mod and the changes that have been made from other coders on this forum.

Nothing wrong with making commits on github, but changing/using our code for your own gains will not be accepted.

Thank you for the answer Axle. So modding will not be allowed at start. That's ok for me.

@cen: It doesn't matter if they know. The only thing that counts is, that the developers do not allow to modify the code. The code is their property, it is open source, which means that you can view the code, but this does not mean, that you are allowed to do what you want with the code. And i respect this.

Nope panadur : "but changing/using our code for your own gains will not be accepted"

AFAIK :

Server hosts can modify the files, as long as there's no profit / gain... If an admin decides to implement indestructable buildings, like in Arma 2, I don't think the Devs will object after 0.5

There's some doubt if you should tho; bugs coming from mods might clutter the bugfixing from the Devs, so *I ASSUME* the official servers will have to run 100% , and the public ones not.

But this all is my guess :)

I think Axle missed the point of the OP, as I think the thing I mentioned here is what you where after.