[AdminTool] (I'm back) Working on it!

CordIAsis

Ah cool that was actually something that I have been looking for!

If you run into any issues I'd be happy to help you get them sorted (but since I'm also still very much learning I don't know if I'll be of much help :P)

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd give a quick update on the state of this. Progress is slow, but worthwhile.

I keep getting to a point where I think it's almost ready for a test release then I realise that it's not as good as it could be so I rip it all apart and rewrite a lot of it again.

The current build I'm working on (3rd build/rewrite) is very promising. I've cut hundreds of lines of code from it while managing to keep all the functionality, learned how to use randomly generated variable names and implemented the use of that. It's pretty confusing at times though, these random variables :'). The speed of generating arrays of all weapons/vehicles/items in the game has been cut down to 1 second (could be faster if called but I spawn it to prevent game freezing during load) and is complete before you even fully load in, which means you don't get big lag/loading times on things like item lists or box spawns, it's instant.

Still not managed to get it 100% serverside yet, but I'm only 1 line away! I've also managed to turn it into the code equivelant of Lego, it's built in seperate blocks that just plug together :D

Right now I really wouldn't like to give an ETA on this, I don't want to rush it and end up pushing a peice of work I feel could be better. But rest assured that it WILL come.

I don't have a certain time frame just yet.

It's much harder and more time consuming to create something like this over a normal script because I have to be extremely careful to not overlook security issues, an admintool and/or antihack is rendered completely useless if a hacker can force their way into it or parts of it. Everytime I implement something I have to make sure there isn't any places in the code that are weakpoints and I also have to make sure that there isn't a single error anywhere in the bazillion lines of code, which is quite a big task.

It'll be released when I feel it can stand up to the task of running on a live server without a single error or quirk. I think the wait for it will be worth it.

Another update guys.

I've started work on the anti-hack side of it, so far it protects against vehicles being hacked in. In my tests it works perfectly.

I'm planning to build on functions to monitor all kinds of spawnable objects, ammo boxes, buildings, epoch buildables and such.

I've also added in persistent bans and persistent logging for suspicious/hacking activity. All other logs will be made persistent also.

On the tools side of it, I've added in assignable admin power levels. There are 3 valid levels and you can modify the required power level for each function in the init file easily. I've also added in a simple welcome message and cycle message system if you choose to use it. Custom boxes and loadouts have been implemented which can be created and edited on the fly. You can choose to spawn boxes publicly or privately also. A debug monitor has been built on too after Elliot from FPG requested it a while back, it's optional so you can still use your own without issue. Server rules can be viewed by players by hitting ESC the clicking on server rules, this is also optional.

About 95% of the admin tool is finished, I just need to implement a little more anti hack before the other tool functions can be created properly.

It shouldn't be too long til a release now! :D

Just wanna get your opinions on DLLs.

Would you be happy to use DLLs with CSAT to enable persistent logs and bans, or would you prefer to avoid using external DLLs?

If you're worried about using DLLs, would you like to see an included .CPP source file for the DLLs so you can see exactly what is going on inside them?

DLLs can be made to be very damaging to your computer/server, so I would just love to know people's opinions on them. They will be included with CSAT at release by default, for optional use, but this is just a question that's been bothering me lately.

Cheers guys.

"Server rules can be viewed by players by hitting ESC the clicking on server rules" holy shit, this is nice!

Right now, I have to use an action menu for this, and I actually want to keep the scroll menu clean!

Looks really promising dude :D

"Server rules can be viewed by players by hitting ESC the clicking on server rules" holy shit, this is nice!

Right now, I have to use an action menu for this, and I actually want to keep the scroll menu clean!

Looks really promising dude :D

Very easy to add it to right click or a button function.  Check my script on the second page there is a way to add it to right click or to tab key, can be changed from tab to any key easily, just look up dik key codes. Not sure if you wrote yours, but if its an edit in selfActions, you would just remove the addaction from there or where ever its called and choose one of the options provided by Gr8boi on page 2 of topic.

And yes, i cant wait to see this. Nice to see someone willing to something so helpful for the community in their spare time! Keep up the good work, sir!

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting tool !  Looks awesome and can't wait to implement it on our server.. so don't stop that good work !  and for all they ask for release date... You know the sentence "It's done when It's done" ;)

Guys, I know it's been a while since I've been on and I'm sorry to you guys who were looking forward to using it. Bad news and (kinda) good news.

Bad:

I have become very ill, meaning development on this has ended. I don't have enough energy to be able to do any of this stuff.

Good:

The source, including all extra files and the DLL for logging/bans is up for grabs for someone to continue the work if anyone would like to.

If anyone is interested to take this on there are a few things to note:

There is not a single comment in all ~3000 lines of code, they break the script past line ~60.

If you are not very fluent in Arma scripting it will make no sense to you whatsoever.

I will not pass the code onto just anyone, I want to know the person is more than capable of actually completing it.

There is also one very important rule you must abide by if you want to continue work on this.

You do NOT, in any way, make ANY monetary or equivelant gain off of this code. This includes trading it for services or goods. It doesn't matter if you completed it, you are not allowed.

Once again, I'm sorry that I kept you guys waiting so long.

If you're interested in continuing this on yourself send me a message on here and I'll get back to you when I can.