D'oh It's MORONIC to not have your position on the map

spinphd

I was sad to notice that on epochmod.com's #2 server today that my character no longer automatically knows his position.  I hope this is just an oversight!

You know, almost 25 years ago in the middle of nothingness Saudia Arabia, my unit's Bradley Fighting Vehicle got a small green box with only one calculator like LED display row to mount on the top of the track.  It let us navigate in a virtually featureless world.  15 years ago I bought my first moving map, hand-held GPS receiver, it was monochrome.  Today, color moving map GPS's are being replaced by Smartphone's in everyone's hands!  And in 2035, or whatever year it is, we have to use compass and orienteering skills?  Really?  Does it have to be this gay?

For the last 25 years I've working in one capacity or another as a software engineer.  There's a word in software we all need to learn, it's ABSTRACTION.  Software is always, in one way or another, an abstraction of the problem domain, of the real world, as it were.

Fighting against a system that DOES NOT PROVIDE THE NECESSARY TOOLS to actually orient and navigate yourself is idiotic and we should at least assume, as an abstraction, that our characters ALWAYS know where they are.  To do otherwise actually takes away from the game, takes away from the intelligence of game and devolves it into something much less.

D'oh!

In 2035.. after the demise of the majority of humankind. All those technologies rely on working satellites, enough to triangulate your position accurately. Just saying 

But you have a GPS.....Also I've seen streamers open their map and they have a pos mark on their map....must be an add on or something, and I do believe they were streaming on official servers.

They have GPS in this game?? You can see yourself then with it.
Its not that hard to find yourself on the map and imo its alot more fun to play like this.
If you use your map ofcourse you wont see yourself that would make no sense at all.
But if you have an gps you can just press right CTR-M then you can see yourself.

If you have a GPS you should see your location on the map...maybe not people in your group, but you should see your location. What is the point of the GPS...just to see a tiny view in your HUD? All GPSs give you the ability to zoom in and OUT to see your location. Even on Smart Phones.

If you take away the map location then you should take away the ability to set a way point on a map as well. How can anyone in a  zombie apocalypse set a theoretical point on a map and know the exact distance to that point? Heck, just take the map out of the game.

One last comment. I haven't yet found a helicopter yet, but I was wondering if the radar on them has been disabled.

Okay, While I like having the marker of my position on the map, it is not needed. If you have a GPS it's not hard to find your location, Just Hold down your Right "Alt" + "M" and The GPS Overlay will display. Or Open Map like Axles said to and Use The Circle button top right corner, This will put the map in your close proximity and then Here is The Easy Tip. Hold Left "Shift" Key Down and CLICK on The Map And Then Close Map and Look For Temp Marker that Will Say So Many Meters or Kilometers. Not That Hard. and I don't feel the dev's need to put the GPS Marker location to player in.  

I was sad to notice that on epochmod.com's #2 server today that my character no longer automatically knows his position.  I hope this is just an oversight!

You know, almost 25 years ago in the middle of nothingness Saudia Arabia, my unit's Bradley Fighting Vehicle got a small green box with only one calculator like LED display row to mount on the top of the track.  It let us navigate in a virtually featureless world.  15 years ago I bought my first moving map, hand-held GPS receiver, it was monochrome.  Today, color moving map GPS's are being replaced by Smartphone's in everyone's hands!  And in 2035, or whatever year it is, we have to use compass and orienteering skills?  Really?  Does it have to be this gay?

For the last 25 years I've working in one capacity or another as a software engineer.  There's a word in software we all need to learn, it's ABSTRACTION.  Software is always, in one way or another, an abstraction of the problem domain, of the real world, as it were.

Fighting against a system that DOES NOT PROVIDE THE NECESSARY TOOLS to actually orient and navigate yourself is idiotic and we should at least assume, as an abstraction, that our characters ALWAYS know where they are.  To do otherwise actually takes away from the game, takes away from the intelligence of game and devolves it into something much less.

D'oh!

Now tell us what GPS "sad time" was.  I remember that as well.  I also remember our 1SG could never figure out how his plugger worked so we would always have to tell him where he was.

I don't get this, you can easily find a GPS in the game that will show you your position 24/7 once it's equipped.  It tells you your 6-digit grid which you can then easily see on the map.

Well i dont like gettin your position as easy as it is now in "normal" mode.

In this case i dont care about realism what could be in 2035 or not.

I dont like the idea of gettin DayZ casual style. My experiences showed me that the harder it gets the more it gets fun.

Everytime i find a city by just knowing my spawnpoint and havin a map without any other tools im really happy.

And guess what after several hours of gaming im pretty good in finding everything without compass /gps/ markers.

Thats the point where u get very good and u get a huge advantage. Its called skill.

Im new to Arma3 and i dont have this orienting-skill yet. But im workin on it. And yes it needs time.

If i want speedy action and no intense fights i play another game. But i love the thrill in DayZ. Thats why i dont play any other games anymore. Other games just doesnt thrill me at all anymore.

Thats why i like it hardcore. Thats why i dont like markers. Thats why i like food and drink to be rare.

Of course this is only my opinion. What do you think?

I am sure this is a setting. One that the server admin will be able to turn on or off via a difficulty setting. For those players who want a harder server, they can just choose it. 

Right now some servers show your location, some don't so it must be a simple setting. 

I believe it is a simple setting, but switching that setting also switches several others. If you enable seeing youself on the map, mine markers appear, if you look at another player/vehicle they appear, name tags are turned on, all of which make the game unfair. 

we have to use compass and orienteering skills?  Really?  Does it have to be this gay?

In ANY Armed Force across the world the use of a compass and map isn't Gay, its called skill. Have you forgotten this?

There's nothing that pisses me off more then someone that cant find there position because their battery's are flat.

The Navigation within the game is fine.

TL DR: All I got from skimming this was: I can't navigate, I suck at playing warfare sims: I need to go outside with a compass and map in real life and learn how to do shit properly: cry, whinge, curl up in ball and sob because it's too hard to navigate.

I removed the ability to place waypoints on my ARMA 2 Epoch server and OMG did people cry about that. Seems nobody learns how to use a map anymore.

TL DR: All I got from skimming this was: I can't navigate, I suck at playing warfare sims: I need to go outside with a compass and map in real life and learn how to do shit properly: cry, whinge, curl up in ball and sob because it's too hard to navigate.

I removed the ability to place waypoints on my ARMA 2 Epoch server and OMG did people cry about that. Seems nobody learns how to use a map anymore.

Thats what i said!

I think we play mostly against 12 years old, which dont know how to read a map. What N W S E stands for...