How far have you gotten, lone wolves?

TheHermit

Curious if anyone has gotten to any level of building from scavenging all alone.

I guess you would need to focus on the bare essentials to build something simple to hold and store items, while making loot runs to get better items.

Seems one could be braver about going to airfields and big towns without the pressure of losing everything at once.

By avoiding those locations... you reduce the chance of ever finding important tools.

It's starting to get serious!

I have tried to situate myself in a "hermit" location well between a town and a small base, and stick to that area. Not sure if working.

How can you say you reduce the chance of finding important tools when loot is completely random where it will spawn.

I find better gear outside of towns in certain buildings right now as well as some of those bigger collection of garbage piles that you can find outside of towns also.

15+ Hours lone wolf & not a single axe/sledge... I've gone to military, city, hobo shack... I'm about to give up.it's just not fun as lone wolf at the moment, one wrong move & you lost 15 hours of work since there's nowhere to store anything when you can't build...

Don't get me wrong, I expect playing solo to be hard. I wouldn't mind losing 2-3 hours of work from dying, but losing everything I've done over the past 3 days is just too much work for no reward. I can't even chance having some fun & doing some PvP, since there's too much at stake for me.

ok, this is getting messed up... Even post apocolypse basic logic tells me axes & sledgehammers would be easier to find than explosive charges & high caliber rifles...

How are we supposed to test base building if we aren't even able to find the tools to do so? :angry:

I'm finding that scrap metal is the main issue when your going it alone, i was one short of a feq jammer and the server was wiped, but thats just part of the development. :)

Finding axes and chainsaws hasn't been an issues and i have found 2 slegdehammers.

Staying out of the main towns dose not mean missing out on loot, there are may small areas that have great spawns of building materials.

Also try a submarine if you find one, they are great at moving around to loot those coastal towns. :ph34r:

I stick to the areas on the fringe like the northeast or southeast, I got lucky once and found a boat which helped with looting, but while out on a run I came back to find it empty, don't know if it was a theft or a glitch,  why take stuff like ammo and not the boat?

I haven't found enough metal to make a jammer, but I have found hatchets, multi-tools etc.  Cars seem real rare, but food and water isn't a problem.  I keep 4 Empty Jar too keeps me hydrated and every place I find water I drink to top off and a single goat or chicken will add like 1250.

To make storage I mess with sappers until they blow and squish them I also hunt goats.  The Sapper seem to drop more pelts then goats. Silenced weapons are a loners friend.

Biggest problem I find as a lone player is traders, they tend to spawn together in the center and not where I normally am.  Between chem-lights and smoke canisters I can fill my inventory fast.  

So apparently I'm the only one unable to find any tools... At all...?

I also seem to be unable to "squish" animals. I tried every button I could think of including "i" & "t", and noticed that when I try to rebind my inventory key to any other key it simply breaks my ability to "squish" trash piles, which works fine if I leave it as "i".

I stick to the areas on the fringe like the northeast or southeast, I got lucky once and found a boat which helped with looting, but while out on a run I came back to find it empty, don't know if it was a theft or a glitch,  why take stuff like ammo and not the boat?

I haven't found enough metal to make a jammer, but I have found hatchets, multi-tools etc.  Cars seem real rare, but food and water isn't a problem.  I keep 4 Empty Jar too keeps me hydrated and every place I find water I drink to top off and a single goat or chicken will add like 1250.

To make storage I mess with sappers until they blow and squish them I also hunt goats.  The Sapper seem to drop more pelts then goats. Silenced weapons are a loners friend.

Biggest problem I find as a lone player is traders, they tend to spawn together in the center and not where I normally am.  Between chem-lights and smoke canisters I can fill my inventory fast.  

I would probably loot a vehicle & leave it. Vehicles draw too much attention imo, I usually stay out of them unless I'm trying to sell it quickly. I have no place to keep it safe anyway.

This is how I play with the current build, some experiences and tips from a few days so far on an official server. I ain't no expert.

Give the server a few mins after a reset before you start looting. Don't move too quickly or the 'loot bubble' won't keep up, if you can't find any loot you're moving too fast, recover your tracks. Driving around in a vehicle quickly from location to location you'll be lucky to find anything in houses.

I usually search the rubbish piles, bins, boxes and baskets first and then the houses to give the loot a chance to spawn on my location. Churches and chapels are very good locations to find main weapons cases. Travel from chapel to chapel. You'll find backpacks etc. in rubbish piles and generally speaking, clothing in wardrobes, food in fridges etc. Military bases are good, but again you might have to hang around for the loot to spawn. I find most vehicles 'out of town', go a kilometer or so out on the smaller flatter roads to find vehicles. Once you find one you have the means to find many more. I have often found several vehicles in the same vicinity.

The reeds are your friend, vehicle + reeds = instant storage and you can lock it for 30mins at a time. Vehicles hidden in reeds are very hard to see, even from above. So with several hidden vehicles around the map one can build up some serious temporary storage, note the coordinates ;). You can't store anything in a kart, but they're fast and stable on the road.

Suppressors are crucial for solo and so are the bigger calibre weapons and NVGs. Find some dark clothing, I start with a balaclava and shades. Sell vehicles to buy helis, weapons etc. aren't worth much.

Can't think of anything else that's particularly helpful apart from stealth and caution and to deposit most of what you're carrying before each looting session then you won't lose it if you get shot or blown up. Always lock your vehicle, even going into the trader to sell it...

Good luck.

This is how I play with the current build, some experiences and tips from a few days so far on an official server. I ain't no expert.

Give the server a few mins after a reset before you start looting. Don't move to quickly or the 'loot bubble' won't keep up, if you can't find any loot you're moving too fast, recover your tracks. Driving around in a vehicle quickly from location to location you'll be lucky to find anything in houses.

I usually search the rubbish piles, bins, boxes and baskets first and then the houses to give the loot a chance to spawn on my location. Churches and chapels are very good locations to find main weapons cases. Travel from chapel to chapel. You'll find backpacks etc. in rubbish piles and generally speaking, clothing in wardrobes, food in fridges etc. Military bases are good, but again you might have to hang around for the loot to spawn. I find most vehicles 'out of town', go a kilometer or so out on the smaller flatter roads to find vehicles. Once you find one you have the means to find many more. I have often found several vehicles in the same vicinity.

The reeds are your friend, vehicle + reeds = instant storage and you can lock it for 30mins at a time. Vehicles hidden in reeds are very hard to see, even from above. So with several hidden vehicles around the map one can build up some serious temporary storage, note the coordinates ;). You can't store anything in a kart, but they're fast and stable on the road.

Suppressors are crucial for solo and so are the bigger calibre weapons and NVGs. Find some dark clothing, I start with a balaclava and shades. Sell vehicles to buy helis, weapons etc. aren't worth much.

Can't think of anything else that's particularly helpful apart from stealth and caution and to deposit most of what you're carrying before each looting session then you won't lose it if you get shot or blown up. Always lock your vehicle, even going into the trader to sell it...

Good luck.

Good advice... I'll have to keep the loot bubble info in mind. I can get so focused on trying to loot quick & GTFO I bet I miss a lot that hasn't spawned yet. It's worth a try anyway, thanks.

I usually search the rubbish piles, bins, boxes and baskets first and then the houses to give the loot a chance to spawn on my location...

I do the opposite. I start looking into buildings first. Then when I start finding loot I start to search trash piles, bins, boxes, etc...

That's because once you've "opened" those they don't "refill" unless the server is restarted.

So if they are empty because the loot hasn't spawned yet they are lost.

Kriegg - churches are your friend, keep a empty jar handy and always find the fountain. Say a little prayer too.

Brez- I'm not so sure about random. I find more 'utility gear' at warehouse/factory/dump locations, and more basic survival gear in towns so far. Food seems to have become more hard to find. Actually it may be my biggest issue, I haven't seen many hunting opportunities at all.

I'm still trying to figure this loot bubble. I haven't gotten more or less loot either way. It does occur to me that after a long run, the first few buildings will have decent loot. About as much loot as I've gotten by scouring entire towns.

Glad it's the weekend coming and I can get some long sessions in. Good luck out there!