Ore veins

jj808

so ore veins on the wiki say u must salvage with a crowbar and a toolbox.... how exactly, i have tried to get an option on them but cannot find one and have even tried hitting it with a sledge hammer 200 times, so how do i salvage them short of using a satchel charge?

You need to find one, hit them with the sledgehammer a quite significant number of times, after which you get ore pieces scattered around. IMHO currently this is useless. If I do find a ore rock, I need to put my weapon into my backpack, take out the sledgehammer, hit the rock 200 times, then collect the ore. While I'm doing this I'm very vulnerable and the result (after lighting a fire and filling up a water bottle) is 1-2 pieces of scrap metal. 

Alternatively, I could walk up to a wreck and, while being covered from one side, dismantle it in 20 seconds to get a scrap metal or something that I can likely take apart into scrap.

If you find a gold ore one, the results might be more viable but I still kind of doubt it.

This is a new addition. There are ways to get precious metals from these veins and there is an element of randomness.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming, this will be expanded upon..

There is very much a need to keep a balance in the game and introducing a new means of mining / harvesting resources has to be brought in slowly so as not to cause rampant harvesting..

This is a new addition. There are ways to get precious metals from these veins and there is an element of randomness.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming, this will be expanded upon..

There is very much a need to keep a balance in the game and introducing a new means of mining / harvesting resources has to be brought in slowly so as not to cause rampant harvesting..

Good point. 

I'd rather something slowly increase in efficiency than see hoarding like crazy.

Just shoot the ore vien.... and in 10 seconds it goes POOF into the pile you can remove. Never used a sledge hammer on it once.

The iron/silver nodes clearly need a buff to be worthwhile to the player, the gold nodes are most certainly worth their while...particularly to small groups.

IMO, I think it is just fine. What could be done to make it very worth while though would be adding rocks which can be processed into cinder blocks. 4 rocks 1 block just like 4 ore for scrap. Add a random amount to the ore viens.

Also they are easy to find in hills and forest, some players have one that spawns almost every restart near their base and can farm it always as a nice resource.

Lastly, why not make a low chance to spawn some randomly at quarries and rocky areas with specific spawn points. Mainly the iron ones (with rocks pieces if added) to make them a worth a trip to harvest materials for building, and drive player encounters over natural resources rather than always at loot sources.

IMO, I think it is just fine. What could be done to make it very worth while though would be adding rocks which can be processed into cinder blocks. 4 rocks 1 block just like 4 ore for scrap. Add a random amount to the ore viens.

This would actually make ore useful. Currently, my crew just drives past veins as they are not worth the time or effort.

Also, mining with .50 cal or m240 to take out a ore vien is kinda, well dumb. Would it not be better to make it work the same way it would be for chopping wood? Equip pick axe or sledge hammer or something, and select "Mine Rocks" option. after the action is complete, the ore vein crumbles into a wreck which you then remove to get the parts. This way makes sense, and would either require an increase in sledge hammer parts spawn chance, or the pick axe parts if added. If the regular ore vein dropped 6-8 rocks, 6-8 iron ore, chance for 1-2 gold and silver, I would totally go hunting for them. Just make the "Piles of Rocks" 25% as heavy as the cinder blocks if it takes 4 piles to make 1 set of cinder blocks. You will see players searching the land scape with trucks to go mining, creating new things to do and more player interactions.

The after crafting result of 1-2 cinder blocks, 1-2 scrap and some currency per vein is worth it in my eyes. Safer than going to camps or loot cycling if you are in the woods and on high ground looking for resources. And these spawn frequently where some bases are built, they have a steady supply resources, making choose where your base should be built even more important than before.

• 4 weeks later...

i have found these in strange places perhaps instead of being so random EG spawning on a road in the middle of town.

you may want to consider making them more common but cluster them together in mountainous or rocky terrain so that they spawn realistilcally and when they spawn they spawn in groups of 2-5. this basically makes looking for them worth wile because you now have random spawning that follows a pattern and makes it slightly easier to locate and harvest