100% Noob needs help

Geoglyph

Hi folks,

I'm completely new to Dayz (I haven't even bought it yet!) and pretty much all the information I have seen about the game is derived from watching Frankieonpc videos. From what I've picked up it seems there are quite a few pitfalls for new players, like choosing the right server, game mode, avoiding noted hacker servers etc. Epoch seems to me like the logical place to begin.

So, I'm basically looking for comments on/answers to the following queries:

Is epoch the best place to begin, or should I blood myself in with a more vanilla mode?

I'm not going to bore ye with asking for install info, but, is it generally quite a difficult thing to install epoch and all relevant software?

If I do begin with epoch, is there a noteable noob friendly server with a good reputation?

If I do begin with epoch where might I find a group to take me under their wing and show me the ropes? (I'd rather learn the game mechanics from others than from failure) I have skype btw.

Anyway, thanks in advance for all and any advice, it'll be much appreciated.

Geo.

It is probably best to start on regular DayZ, because epoch has all the basic stuff of regular DayZ, plus a whole bunch of new features that take some time to learn. But if you need someone to help you with this mod, I'm suppose to meet up with a guy on a server tonight, if he agrees to it, your more than welcome to join with us.

Most of us here started on vanilla dayz, so to an extent I would agree with Krunchy. However, Epoch really is quite a unique experience and I would encourage you to jump right into it. The devs have done a remarkable job of creating this game and keeping it running smoothly. This website is an amazing resource, continue to use it and ask any questions you need answers to.

Also, as far as downloading is concerned... here is a link to dayzcommander http://dayzcommander.com/. This program will be your bestfriend when it comes to updating and downloading various Dayz mods (including Epoch!!).

Goodluck,

~ RAMBO

Thanks a million for all the replies guys, they're much appreciated. I think my friend and I are going to start on vanilla, ust to get accustomed to the ui etc. One final question, if ye don't mind: Can anyone recommend a pve server? I'm pretty sure we want to learn the mechanics without being owned over and over again!

It is probably best to start on regular DayZ, because epoch has all the basic stuff of regular DayZ, plus a whole bunch of new features that take some time to learn. But if you need someone to help you with this mod, I'm suppose to meet up with a guy on a server tonight, if he agrees to it, your more than welcome to join with us.

Thanks for the invite dude, I may pm you in future and take you up on that offer.

Thanks again,

Geo.

Hey dude, I play on the TTL epoch server and we have a team called the UN that help new survivors when we can. If you want to add me on your steam or come play on the server sometime I'll make you welcome. my steam name is wake_up_ne0 http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198097258339

Firstly I would try and set up the game so it runs with a solid 60FPS, check in the towns and in busy areas. Adjust the view distance and graphics so your frame rate is solid.
Also disabling mouse smoothing in controls help, make sure your talk button (capslock as default), is working and you know how to switch between channels such as direct communication to talk to people in the field. (< and > switch channels, you can switch to direct for speaking to randoms, vehicle chat if your in a car, global chat is EVERYONE-usually never talk in this one, only type.)

You should always try to find basics like bandages, painkillers and morphine especially when new try to have a few of each of these so you can recover.
Zombies can only hit you when stationary (keep running if you have a horde on you). Also they can't get you in the big, dark green pine trees.

I think you would be fine to start on Epoch, especially if you are going to start off PVE.  The building and trading aspects of EPOCH give you something to do.  

We have a PVE server up that is just a few weeks old.  We already have some a super friendly regulars and we are growing daily.   Server has 4 PVP zones and 3 NPC challenges, so plenty of places to cut your combat teeth.  Check us out http://www.deltaepoch.enjin.com/    

Good luck and have fun.