Server file updates... What is the proper method?

chisel

Question

So silly question probably but, how do I go about updating the server files?

I did search, found someone ask the same basic question and they got a one line response of updating sql...

Surely there is more to it than executing the new sql file no?  Can someone elaborate?

Especially if the current server install is modded with scripts etc. won't the new files overwrite the existing?

Anyone want to put up some simple instructions on how to update an epoch server?

I guess, a proper question would be this:

When updating to a new server version, must server admins update all files, including all instance_X_mapname, and MPMission folders etc.that are included in the download to get benefits of the update?  Or is the server update merely the new HiveExt.dll and the new server pbo?  Can I just update the pbo to get all new version updates?

7 answers to this question

Uploading is done via FTP~

sure, if you have moded files, they will be overwritten ..so you have to merge, or better said, to add your mods again in the new files~ ..and after you've altered the new files with your mods, you just upload them to your server.

- all this is meant for a real server, where you have "full" access~ other hosters might have own upload-scripts running so the FTP upload way won't apply here.. but the adding of your mods in the new files applies on every server.

My update process is normally something like this:

1) Download the server update file via whatever distribution method is offered

2) Download the Epoch client files via DayZ Commander

3) Extract the server update file

4) Rename @DayZ_Epoch_Server directory from my ArmA2 directory to @DayZ_Epoch_Server_old

5) Copy the new @DayZ_Epoch_Server directory over

6) Replace and merge the old server files with any changes I may have made

7) Copy the new/updated @DayZ_Epoch_Server directory to my ArmA2

8) Rename the old DayZ_Epoch_11.Chernarus directory to DayZ_Epoch_11.Chernarus_old

9) Copy the new DayZ_Epoch_11.Chernarus directory over

10) Replace and merge the old mission directory with the new one

11) Put in place the new SQL database

12) Run some custom SQL stuff that adds items to various traders

13) Compare the new and old HiveExt.ini for any changes

14) Update config.cfg hostname with the Epoch version number

15) Password lock the server

16) Test the server for a bit, review logs, make any fixes for stuff I missed

17) Once everything seems good, shut her down, remove the password, start her back up

Usually takes me between 20 and 60 minutes, depending on whether or not I am having a derpy day.

Thanks for the info guys.

FYI, I'm running my own dedicated server, not rented from any dayz provider so I have complete access to the box, down to the OS.

I use NP++ for all my editing too and I do use the compare plugin but I'm not aware how to merge with notepad ++.  Unless by merge you simply mean manually updating with copy/paste at the compare level etc.

I was running a Chernarus Epoch server, but love Lingor so went Lingor Epoch server, dropped it to go straight Lingor because Epoch Lingor requires extra steps for clients to run but may be going back to a Chernarus Epoch server.  lol, round and round.

Maybe I'll just wipe my original Cherno Epoch and start fresh.