Starting to build a base

Leniaal

Hello,

I'd like to discuss the fact that it's really hard to start building a base.

Me and my friends have been playing a fair amount since the patch has come out, mainly going about looting everything we see.

Tonight, right before we logged off, we were able to craft our first piece of Large Salvage Metal. I thought it was only needed to build the Frequency Jammer and to upgrade the cinder wall to create a garage door. But as it turns out you need metal for every single wall you want to upgrade. I can't imagine how long it takes to create a proper base like this.

Why is it so different from ArmA 2: Epoch where after a couple hours of playing you could have at least a small base. Is it intended to make it this hard for a group of 3 to create a base to keep your loot safe? Cause hidden loot stashes won't last forever, I'm gonna go ahead and say that for a solo player it's near impossible to build a base and for a group of 3+ it will take literally days of playing to build a base.

So why not increase the metal drop on thrash a lot more, so people can experience building? Because at the moment it feels more like the Wasteland mod without wipes.

Wondering what your opinions are, maybe we have been extremely unlucky as we have only found 4 Small Salvage Metal parts so far, but I really doubt it.

Greetings,

Leniaal

I roamed around awhile, hoping to build a base on 0.2, in 4 hours of looting I found 1 cinder, 1 mortar, electronics, and 1 small metal.  I think base building is a long way away for a solo player.  Did find a Car which helped, I was at least able to store most materials while out searching for more.  I just wish the auto-unlock was longer, or as you mentioned the spawn rate higher on metal.  I have my fingers crossed that I hid it well enough to be there in the AM.

LOL.

Are you serious ? Why not a custom loadout with some metals ? 

Yeah. Arma 2 Epoch was a custom loadout with some metal.

What a bullshit....

Leniaal write:

Why is it so different from ArmA 2: Epoch where after a couple hours of playing you could have at least a small base.

I just posted my rant. Its imposible to build a base. It takes so much time, in which time you will get killed a couple times. Im willing to bet that nobody is going to build a base, not 1 single base will exist in the new patch. This is wasteland now.

Epoch is at the moment a boring wasteland.

Unfortunately!

Part of the problem is the Altis map.

If you recall the A2 maps they had big condensed locations that had a concentration of industrial supplies.

Altis is not designed in this fashion.

Until the mod gets to the point where other maps can be ported you are all going to have to live with it the way it is.

I personally wouldn't bother putting in the hours it takes to build a base.. You can't lock it, It can/will be broken into.

Just find a nice patch of tall grass out of the way and put up a tipi to store some trivial gear and wait for a safe to be put into the mod.

You can literally put the tipi inside the grass so you can't even see it.

Just a suggestion.

Now get yer ass back in and continue doing the "Garbage stomp marathon"... Don't forget to bring moist towelettes   :) 

You should be able to build a base entirely of wood, but it's obviously not as strong, so anyone with a chainsaw/satchel could easily access. Then when you build up more resources, you can fortify with cinder/metal.

I really want this to happen. Please devs!

• 1 month later...

Whats the problem with finding supplies? I have got a nice little base after a day and a half playing with a group of 4 split into groups of 2 and do shipping containers :D takes a bit and the foundation is the hardest part but the rest IMO should be wood as people can get your jammer and just take down your cinder/metal pretty easy.. better to make something thats easily replaceable :) anyway if you really are in the mood to get a base going join FireCock not hard still a pretty low pop considering how popular they are... IMHO. BTW they already have lockboxes :D

The QQ is strong in this post. Building a base is even easyer now with the new metal fragments all over the place.

Step 1. LOOT (solo or in a group - group is better)

Step 2. Build a teepee. ( even if you don't have a hatchet you can find lumber on most traders as people sell it for Krypto)

Step 3. Hide your teepee good and store your mats in it.

Step 4. Build a base when you have enough mats for a jammer and walls and don't start building untill you can secure your shit.

Step 5. QQ when your base get's blown up and raided :D - Repeate steps 1-4